“Perfect for a rehearsal dinner”

Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Halifax, Massachusetts
“Perfect for a rehearsal dinner”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We hosted our wedding rehearsal dinner here in June of 2012 and it was absolutely amazing. We had about 35 guests attend... the food was delicious, they have a huge private deck overlooking the marina/boats that we used for cocktails and apps. During the summer, their restaurant has a live band every night and we could easily here the music from our deck... a great added (and free) bonus!

The planning process was easy and the waitstaff day-of were all excellent and very attentive. We decided to change our table linens the day before the event and our planner arranged everything within an hour of the request. Couldn't be happier!

Room Tip: If there is availability... ask for a first floor room. Most of them have sliding glass doors that o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Jacqueline O, Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your wedding rehearsal dinner. It is easy to see why our Marine Suite and adjoining outdoor deck is one of our favorite spots on the property! It is delightful to hear that the space was so well suited to your needs and that your guests were able to take advantage of our live entertainment at Pier 49 Restaurant. We are glad that you and your guests enjoyed your meal and that our service met your expectations. We would like to thank you for taking the time to recognize the service provided from start to finish with your function, as we take in pride in knowing that our staff was helpful in accommodating your specific needs. Best wishes for you and your husband and we look forward to seeing you again at The Newport!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Stayed at the Newport Harbor Hotel and Marina last week and looking forward to retuning there again in the upcoming weeks. The hotel offers the best location in town! Water views, a pool, a great marina, a casual bar, and best of all you can avoid the trafficbecause it's located in the center of town with access to many of the hotspots on foot. I love walking around town and sitting by the water watching the boats, pure relaxation. The rooms a nicely appointed, immaculate and offer a nice price point for the location view and proximity to town. Personally, I would select this hotel over the Hyatt and the Marriott because it's a smaller property and offers a more initmate setting.

This hotel has a nice meeting space which is also great for a conference. It offers a lot of options.

Location, location, location!!!

Room Tip: can't comment I've been there a couple of times both the city view and water views are nice...
Morristown, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I visited Newport for one night for an emergency medicine conference. I booked the stay online as the Hyatt on Goat Island happened to be booked. The location is outstanding. The hotel is in easy walking distance to the restaurants, bars, and the beautiful marina. The room was ok. The bathroom was small but serviceable. The room had a flat screen TV, a comfortable bed and a nice harbor view. The public areas seemed to be dated and in need of an upgrade. The $300.00 rate directly through the website seemed a bit high to me but I guess that is what you get during the summer season in Newport. If you can get the room at a discounted rate, I'd say it would be worth it. If you are paying full freight, you might want to stick to the Marriott or Hyatt.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SeanTrey
Southport, Connecticut
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We spent 2 nights at the Newport Harbor Hotel this week and were, at best, underwhelmed. Upon entering the hotel, my first impression was that of a drab, outdated, motel. The lobby is furnished with commercial/Walmart quality, dark furniture covered in unattractive synthetic fabrics, and the hall carpeting appeared soiled and worn. My room was on the harbor side of the hotel, with a nice view of the busy marina below. The small balcony, with 2 chairs, had chipped paint on the ground and 2 empty beer bottles left from previous guests. The carpet in the room didn't look fresh and I was uncomfortable taking my shoes off because of this. As another mentioned, the flat screened TV was too large for the armoire & angled in one direction, preventing viewing from half of the room. There were soiled tissues behind the pillows on one bed and the foam pillows were hard as rocks. It was cold during our visit so heat was necessary. Unfortunately, the in wall combination heat/AC unit was loud and erratic. I woke up several times in the night, either too hot or cold, needing to adjust it. The small bathroom was quite tired as well. Plastic 'brass' fixtures, caked grout and paint, and the tub was stained which made it appear dirty. I had little contact with staff, so cannot speak to the service end of the establishment. The location of the hotel is great, as it is in the heart of Bowen's Wharf, which has many nice shops and restaurants (the Black Pearl has the best clam chowder in New England!). I will not return to the Newport Harbor Hotel unless they make the improvements needed to justify charging $299./night, which came to $345.00/night after room taxes and parking fees were applied.

Room Tip: The rooms on the harbor side have nice views overlooking the marina, but are very noisy in the eveni...
5 Thank GTonHarbor
, General Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. It is extremely disappointing to read that you were underwhelmed during your time here. We would like to highlight that we have professional interior designers who select our furnishings and decorate throughout our property, including the lobby. The oversized flat screen televisions also have a feature on the stand that allows for it to be pulled outwards and swivel in a direction that is better for your viewing pleasure. In the event that something is unsatisfactory during your stay, we strongly encourage all guests to always alert management right away, whether here or at another property. It is our company philosophy to do “Whatever it Takes” to ensure that all of our guests have a pleasant experience at The Newport. It is our pleasure to continuously make every effort to exceed the needs of our guests and it certainly is disheartening to hear that we did not meet your expectations.
Narragansett, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have been fortunate enough to stay in four of Newport's well-known hotels over the years for business and pleasure, and when it comes to location and value, Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina wins hands down. A few years back, I even ran a conference at one of the other hotels, so I am pretty intimately acquainted with the plus and minuses of Newport properties.

My most recent stay led me back to The Newport because there is so much I love about the hotel. I was in Newport attending a conference at another hotel, but decided to choose this much better location and as a bonus even saved a few bucks (they were running a fall special that beat all the other hotel rates). While I attended the conference during the day, my boyfriend joined me in the evening and for the day on Sunday.

We had a double-bed room on the first floor with sliding glass doors leading out to the dock -- just a few short steps away. Sunday morning was beautiful, so we were able to sit on the Adirondack chairs just outside our room, sipping coffee, overlooking the dock and harbor. Gorgeous! Literally, just feet from the water. If you are there in the evening, it's a fabulous spot to view the sunset (I missed it this time because of the conference).

Our room was nicely appointed with a nautical feel of course. I found the room to be extremely clean (and I'm fussy) and all in order. I did place a call for extra towels and got them in just minutes. The housekeeping staff was friendly when we passed in the hall. Not your typical New Englanders -- we got smiles and good morning.

This time we didn't eat at the hotel's restaurant, Pier 49, but friends did and they said it was very good and that they enjoyed the live music. Apparently the bartender was a lot of fun, as well as some locals who were dancing. I have seen the outdoor patio in full swing in the summer, which I hope to check out again on my next visit. Having dinner or a drink outside in downtown Newport is a must. This patio is right along side Bowen's Wharf, where there is a ton of summer action.

I found the staff to be quite friendly and accommodating. I overheard some arrangements for a wedding being made with the sales staff, who appeared to be polite and professional. I hear a lot of weddings block rooms as well as visiting sports teams. What a great spot for groups.

Overall, The Newport is a great place to experience Newport's waterfront. I recommend checking their website for specials (that's how I found my great pricing) or being a friend on FaceBook to be notified of other offers. No complaints from this guest. :)

Room Tip: Book a room on the first floor so you can access outside from your room. You'll be right on the...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeachCat57
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We had two side-by-side rooms for a girls getaway. We had two side-by-side rooms.

Front desk staff was super nice. Ocean view was also nice. Location is fabulous.

Is that worth $800 (for one night!)?!? Certainly not. Especially since we didn't even get to sleep past 6:30am. Our room was right next to the staging area for housekeeping, so, we were awoken between 6:00 and 6:30 am by doors banging and chatter - and it never stopped. We tried to go back to sleep, but just gave up by 8. Not fun - when you were out enjoying the night life the prior evening.

Also, upon arrival, there was a sign that said the parking was full, so, I had to drive all around looking for a meter, only to have the desk tell me that wasn't true. So, then I have to go back to get my car and then explain to the guard that I was allowed to park - but he didn't seem to believe me, even though the desk had called him 10 minutes prior. It was all very strange.

The rooms themselves are very dark, very outdated. Certainly not worth $400+/night. It looked and felt like Holiday Inn on the inside!

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth K
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Recently, eight of us went and spent the afternoon at the Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina for dinner at Pier 49.

Well, our "dinner" became an all night affair and it was the best!  We had so much fun we are still talking about it.  Dinner was delicious, we danced till the music stopped and Avon, our server could not have more attentive.  It was great.  Thank you.

• Stayed May 2012
It was wonderful to hear that you had such a memorable experience dining at Pier 49! Our food and beverage team takes pride in serving our customers delicious, freshly prepared meals. We are extremely fortunate to have Avon as a part of that team and we would like to thank you for highlighting her customer service through all of your kind words. We look forward to having you back for another all night affair of dinner and dancing with our live entertainment at Pier 49 Seafood and Spirits!