“Hotel on an island for a wedding” 4 of 5 stars

Hyatt Regency Newport
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mansfield
“Hotel on an island for a wedding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Hyatt Regency is located on Goat Island. We arrived early to the hotel @ 10am to meet family expecting not to be able to check in. The front desk staff were friendly and asked us if we needed assistance. Surprisingly, they checked us in early and gave us a free upgrade. So awesome! We stayed in the Captain's quarters overlooking the bay. We were attending a wedding reception in Newport and this hotel was blocked for wedding guests. Next door to the hotel is an independent wedding reception business which was convenient for the wedding guests. The hotel can provide area shuttle. The food at the hotel is okay. There is a daily resort fee which includes self parking, WiFi access, 2 bottles of water and other amenities.The bar prices were a little overpriced. The lounge areas has comfortable seating with gas fireplaces.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The lady who checked me in was very friendly. She upgraded me to a suite which had two floors. There was a small balcony that had an amazing view. The grounds around the property were well maintained and beautiful. In the morning I walked out to the harbor and saw the most beautiful sunrise. My only complaint is that I only stayed one night on my own (my friend had booked his own room) so I could not enjoy all of the wonderful space in the suite. I wish I could have stayed the entire week. Great place!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alena A
JohnKarchner, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We always love to hear from our guests especially when they had a great time. I will be sure to share your comments with our team members. Thank you again and Happy New Year.

All the best,
New Egypt, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have always had a good experience with Hyatt properties, and the Hyatt Regency Newport did not disappoint. This particular location has a wonderful location on an island in the bay, just a short walk into downtown Newport. Staff at the front desk upon arrival were pleasant and helpful, as was the shuttle driver who took us into town. The room was clean as well, we even got upgraded. A great place to stay. The only complaint I have is the resort fee. For the $20 per night charge I got the pleasure of self parking my car, the use of wifi, and two bottles of water. The fee perplexes me, especially when not all Hyatt's charge it. Despite the fee, consider the Hyatt if you are headed to Newport.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jtleo106
JohnKarchner, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Guest~

Thank you for your recent posting regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency Newport Hotel & Spa. I was very happy to read that you have always had a good experience with Hyatt properties and I hope that continues!

With regards to our Resort Fee; please allow me to explain what that includes. This includes self-parking, bottled water, internet services, newspapers, van service to downtown, unlimited local phone calls, 24-hour access to our fitness center and numerous activities hosted by our Activities Department. These activities include but are not limited to yoga, bike rentals and numerous children’s activities. Many hotels charge separately for these amenities; however, we felt it more cost effective to bundle these.

It was a pleasure hosting you and hope you have the opportunity to return again in the near future.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We spent one night at Hyatt Regency Newport for the Thanksgiving weekend. As we were a party of 4 (with friends) we were given 2 connecting rooms with nice harbor view. Being a big hotel on a small island, I believe most rooms on the higher floors could afford some view of the sea.

Our rooms were modern and clean although the size was not particularly generous. The bathrooms were nice but a bit cramped. Mine had a shower cubicle (which I liked) and the other had a bath tub. Like other reviewers had pointed out, the in-room TV left much to be desired. They should really fix the tuner and get some HD programs.

The hotel charged a resort fee of $20 per room per day that included self-parking, shuttle bus to town, Wifi connection and access to the pool and fitness center. Although the indoor pool was advertised as heated the day we went the water was icy cold and didn't look very clean. My friend ended up going to the gym instead. My wife had a massage which reportedly was good.

The buffet breakfast offered a nice choice of cold and hot food but we encountered just another glitch: we had the b&b package but the reception staff forgot to give us enough breakfast coupons so we had to go back to ask.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear TripAdvisor Guest:

Thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor commenting on your recent visit to the Hyatt Regency Newport Hotel & Spa.

Feedback from our guests is always welcomed and appreciated! Many changes that we make are as a result of guest comments so these postings do not go unnoticed!

I do apologize for the problems you encountered with our indoor pool. As these postings are anonymous I am unable to check the date you encountered this problem; however, our engineers monitor the pool daily for both temperature and cleanliness. I have also noted your comment concerning the lack of hi-definition in our guestrooms. I am very pleased to report that this upgrade will happen in this upcoming year.

Thank you for your positive comment concerning your wife’s massage in our Stillwater Spa, that is greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you for your posting and please give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Having stayed at this property several times I have learned how to avoid disappointment. This stay was very nice with the exception being the scalding hot water temperatures in the shower. Even when turned to the coldest setting, the water was still warm. Valet seemed a bit tempermental also when I pulled up to unload my bags but that issue was quickly averted when I asked the person if he could help me. Otherwise, all is well in Newport regarding the hotel and staff. The staff was way above average on this trip. If I were to recommend a suite it would be one facing the lighthouse, these offer fantastic views.

Room Tip: One section of the hotel is pet friendly so keep that in mind when choosing a roomtype.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
JohnKarchner, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate hearing what issues occurred during our guest's stays. I will have our maintenance department take a look at the hot water issue immediately. I will also be sure to share your positive comments in regards to our staff with the entire team.

Thank you again and we look forward to having you back sometime in the near future.

Best regards,
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We were in Newport, RI for a wedding, and stayed at the Hyatt Regency located on Goat Island. Nothing else exists on Goat Island except for the Hyatt. We had to drive across a bridge to get over there, but Newport being as small as it is, and quaint, it was not an issue. Very close to everything!

Rooms - We had a "Deluxe King with Water View"... located in the Main building. We were on the 7th Floor... and our view faced Newport. It was a lovely view. Nice King bed, the bathroom seems to be updated. There was a small sitting area as well.

Resort Fee - From May-October, there is a $20 resort fee charged PER DAY. This fee includes self parking, wireless internet, newspaper, water bottles, access to the fitness center. If you want to valet, from my understanding, it is an additional $5 per day. We chose to do self parking, and it was not an issue.

Overall, it was a lovely stay in Newport, and the Hyatt was great! We would come back!

Room Tip: Ask for a Higher Floor - Water View!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
JohnKarchner, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent visit to the Hyatt Regency Newport Hotel and Spa. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as your room accomodations. Those views are spectacular.

Thank you again and have a happy holiday.

All the best,
Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Bottom Line: We really loved this hotel and the location on Goat Island but probably would not stay here in high season as the room rate is triple what the off-season rate is, not to mention that the "resort fee" jumps from $20 to $35 just to park your car and get internet service.

Details:
We stayed here for two nights following Thanksgiving and were pleasantly surprised by how great the location was. You are within walking distance to downtown even though you are on Goat Island. Our waterview room was a little tight but we had an incredible view of the Pell Bridge and the water. The outdoor pool was closed for the season but I could see how great it would be with its spectacular views and location. The indoor pool is small and shallow but nice for kids. The fitness area was one of the best of any of the hotels I've stayed in and was fully equipped with a wide variety of machines. There is valet service available but the self park was very easy.

Negatives:
1) The pool was supposed to be heated but my daughter and everyone else who was there found the water to be absolutely "freezing."
2) The doors are self locking like every other hotel door but these seem much louder. Everyone who leaves sounds like they are angrily slamming their door. I thought the people next door were fighting and constantly going in and out of their room but when I looked, it was actually an elderly couple going in and out of their room quite a few doors down from us.
3) The $20 "resort fee" which basically covers parking, internet and 2 bottles of water is bearable in the off-season but at $35 for the regular season it is tough to take.
4) The TV in our room may be hands down the worst I've ever experienced. The SD picture on an HDTV was incredibly fuzzy and had tons of static. During our second night, HBO was pretty much unwatchable through the static and the limited channel selection was disappointing.

Room Tip: Do not stay in rooms 2101 or 2102 as they are directly across the hall from the indoor pool. I hear...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family