“Beautiful Newport Inns”
Review of Black Duck Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Black Duck Inn
Ranked #22 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I recently had the great pleasure of staying in two beautifully restored Newport Inns, the Blue Jewel and the Black Duck situated in the heart of Newport on Pelham Street. While right in the centre of Newport, Pelham Street is a very quiet and quaint area.

Having made a very last minute booking , the innkeeper Jean facilitated me by providing accommodation in both inns on consecutive nights . The rooms in both inns were absolutely fabulous!! Beautifully decorated and very spacious. The innkeeper was most warm and welcoming. She was extremely helpful and informative in advising me on places to visit and eat whilst in Newport. The breakfast was delicious, juice, fresh fruit and yoghurt, homemade pancakes and coffee. It set me up for the day!

I will definitely be back and will be recommending these Newport Inns to my friends and family in Ireland!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Diamond Room in the Blue Jewel and the Meritage in the Black Duck. Both fabulous ro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Black Duck Inn

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the Reisling room at the Black Duck Inn in Newport. The inn is very modern in decor and quite lovely. The location is perfect as you can walk right into town. Parking is a hassle in town.
Ok here are the issues.... The shower had no place to keep even a small shampoo bottle or soap. I placed all of my toiletries on the floor of the shower and bent down throughout my shower to retrieve each needed item. Ughh I am on vacation right?? The other highly annoying part of this room's location is that it backs the kitchen cupboards. At 7:00 AM doors are slamming and coffee beans are being ground and it sounds like the kitchen staff is in bed with you! Needless to say We were up very early during our stay.
Breakfast was lovely as was the staff. No sign of the owner during our stay. Overall a quaint, modern decor inn with a great location but a few kinks.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed May 10, 2013

What a nice little place, my husband and I came to Newport for the weekend and everything was great. The room was clean and updated, the location was in walking distance to everything so quickly, the staff was beyond helpful and kind, Sue was lovely. The breakfast cooked for each person in the morning!! Also, homemade cookies and teas and juices available anytime in the lounge area. We will definitely stay again. Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Turista03
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights...room was small, and randomly decorated ...the room felt like it was put together on a last minute shoestring budget....mattress did not sleep well...that's not accurate...the mattress slept poorly ...the poor little television did not have sound half the time (odd). No interaction with the innkeeper, only the breakfast hostess, who was very nice and made very good pancakes...
The location is great...walking distance to everywhere you want to go...

Too bad there isn't a rating between Poor and Average...because the Black Duck Inn falls in the middle...It definitely is Below Average, but the location and breakfast host deserve a higher rating than Poor..

I suppose the the most accurate rating is Disappointing.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DSTSS
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was my first experience at a bed and breakfast. I bought a living social deal for two nights at either of the three Newport Bed and Breakfast Inns. I chose to book the Black Duck based on reviews as I was looking for something a little more modern and updated. We checked in Sunday at the Blue Jewel and were greeted with a bottle of red wine and box of chocolates before heading a block down the road to our in. We upgraded and stayed in the Meritage suite with a Jacuzzi and gas fireplace. The room was a great size and very clean. The tub was huge and perfect for two people, although a bit rusty. Everything in the room was in great working order. Unfortunately, we found the bed and pillows to be extremely uncomfortable and the wood floors throughout the house made it very noisy when neighbors moved around. Several times it sounded as if someone was walking right into our room. We met one of the housekeepers who was extremely nice, as well as the breakfast chef who may be the sweetest lady in the world. She was very accommodating and went out of her way to make you feel comfortable. The food was pretty good although the bacon was definitely the microwaveable pre-cooked stuff. The complimentary cookies were out of this world. Overall our stay was romantic and enjoyable!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2013

was in Newport on business. My room was very clean and comfortable. The inn was quiet and cozy. Delicious cookies, along with coffee and tea -- nice experience. The breakfast looked wonderful but I had to be at a meeting in Boston so I couldn't stay -- I did have a yummy muffin though.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We thought it was going to be a quaint bed and breakfast but looks very modern on the inside. We had no interaction with the inn keeper only the lovely breakfast hostess sue. Rooms are billed as deluxe but are small with bathroom. Tv remote didn't work and I had to call to access wifi. Cookies and coffee are available all day and very delicious. Short walk to center of town and dining. I would suggest a "gathering" with guests during happy hour for wine, Martinis or cocktails. Have local menus available or partner with them for deals to share revenue in he slow season.

• Stayed: January 2013