“Eat where the locals eat - good food at a good price!”
Review of Gary's Handy Lunch

Gary's Handy Lunch
Ranked #27 of 236 Restaurants in Newport
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Eat where the locals eat - good food at a good price!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stopped in there for a late lunch and had a couple of sandwiches. There were other families in there waiting for their food when we first got it. My daughter had the grilled ham & cheese and I had the turkey club. We got a LOT of fries with our lunch!! I would say almost too many fries, LOL. Is there such a thing?! Well, I try to eat healthy these days! :-) Sandwiches were full and tasty - obviously the older guy cooking loves his job because his food showed his passion for his art. :-)

I had walked past this place hundreds of times and decided to go in and I am glad I did! Usually, I walk past it on my morning walk and see a lot of folks going in there for breakfast! Place is packed !!!! That has to say something. They close late afternoon so it is pretty much breakfast & late lunch only. The interior is sort of styled after 50s diner IMHO. Staff were very patient and checked on us a few times. Seems like a family run business to me. :-)

If you want a place that the locals eat at and the food is good, come here for an affordable and filling lunch! I saw a few different waitresses come in to pick up food that must have worked at other local restaurants: that has to say something!

I won't get a chance to try the breakfast, but next time I come back, I will give it a try! I am sure it will still be here. :-)

• Visited July 2014

Stamford CT
“Fun and busy spot”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We enjoyed our breakfast at this fast paced restaurant. It seems that everything is made on the griddle, which I try to avoid, hence they have no waffles. They even toasted my English muffin on the griddle. It's a limited, basic breakfast menu. Service was good and quick. Remember it's cash only!

• Visited July 2014
Providence, Rhode Island
“Outstanding Breakfast Foods.. Excelelnt Prices for Newport, Too!”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I had the opportunity to eat At Gary's during the "off season." ordered breakfast type food. Food was great. Prices excellent for Newport. Highly recommended.

• Visited December 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Diner all the way.”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This is a small place that serves diner food with no apologies. The menu is small and straight forward. It is located on the busy Thames Street with lots of trendy restaurants to compete with. They just do their thing and do it well. My husband has a bowl of clam chowder which he really enjoyed and I had the same soup with a tuna melt sandwich. The soup was good but the cheese was barely melted on the sandwich. The tuna salad was tasty though. Would like to try it for breakfast if we ever get back to Newport. The service was efficient but not really too welcoming.

• Visited June 2014
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Great Breakfast Place ”
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

This retro luncheonette serves breakfast and lunch. Good service and really good food. Located right on the main drag of Thames Street they have been there awhile and know how to it right.