“Excellent local Tea & Coffee house to relax”

Empire Tea & Coffee
Ranked #1 of 9 Coffee & Tea in Newport
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I just went over this past Saturday...the place exceeded my expectations. The Barista took my order and offered free wifi (4 hours worth), brought my coffee over (I forgot to pick it up when it was called away) that was a clear indication of excellent customer service...

The ambiance in this place was more than what I've experienced in similar Coffee houses...there was ample room to sit and relax, drink your Coffee/Tea, do your school work, gather with friends, etc...

I will go back again and again based on my experience.

1  Thank JavyMedina
There are newer reviews for Empire Tea & Coffee

Reviewed December 1, 2011

I love it when I find the perfect coffee house. When the espresso has the perfect amount of creama, the coffee is roasted and tastes as great coffeee should, and the atmosphere is welcoming and comfortable. After several stops at this place I thought I had found it, until today.

I had been very patient when I get less than great service in the morning, I know everyone isn't a chipper bird when it's early. But after receiving poor service and disgrunteled attitudes too many times, it's time to let others know.

I don't mind paying $5 every morning for a fantastic cup of coffee or espresso, but when I get attitude and a bad drink and bring it to their attention, one would expect that they would try and make it right, instead I get dirty looks and snarky comments about whether i know what a good cup of espresso even is. Since I've lived in Europe, and South America, I think I know when I've had a proper cup of coffee and espresso. Unfortunately, the counter help, being half my age and not well trained would rather cop an attitude and treat the customer with agressive behavior.

I am sad that this is my last stop there. The search for a proper cup and friendly staff continues. I'm sure everyone doesn't experience such poor service, but when you're spending $5 for a $1 mark-up, one would think that they would try and keep the customer happy alas, not in this case. Might I suggest a more appropriate coffee house just down the street, The Peoples Cafe. Where they stand behind their name. A comfy, wonderful, tasty place to enjoy your morning cup of ge up and go.

1  Thank knubba
Reviewed November 30, 2011

You've got to go and have an Iced Pomegranate Green Tea with Mango Bubbles.......really really good. Also the movies, atmosphere and prices are great for a local higher end coffee-tea shop

Reviewed July 12, 2011

If the store is empty on a Sunday morning, asked "May I help you?", don't answer unless you want to get attitude. The service was going well until a male employee treated my family rudely.

Don't go there if you are new customer,
Don't go there w. a group larger than 3 at the same time.
Don't go there if you have kids.
Perhaps being Asian was the problem.

Lots of coupledom around and not a diversified attendance except for my family.

I’ve never been treated this indecently since grade school.

2  Thank inMA01545
Reviewed January 15, 2011

After dinner we were on the hunt for something sweet and a good cup of coffee. We entered Empire and new we hit the right spot. Rita greeted us with a smile and helped with suggestions. We picked out the Raspberry torte and the 'Addition' mousse cake plus two cups of the daily special. Wow. Just mouth watering! We will definitely be back next visit to Newport.