“Good Sauce and Breadsticks”
Review of Mama Leone's - CLOSED

Mama Leone's
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We were visiting Newport to see the "cottages" and decided to stop in to try Mama Leone's. They had a nice lunch crowd. We ordered the all you can eat pasta with a marinara sauce - you can always tell how good the food is at an Italian place by how well they do something basic like marinara sauce. We received a basket of garlic bread sticks – they were well made and tasty (we asked for more). The pasta was fine and the sauce was tasty – we had two servings. We would go back if we are in the area again.

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband lives for pizza and I typically tolerate it but it isn't my favorite meal. My husband ordered the Scicilian pizza & I ordered the white calzone. The flavors of both dishes were exquisite but the crusts were over baked and too brown. The restaurant was empty but our glasses were not refilled the entire time. The service was lacklustre at best but they do know their way around cheeses and sausages. I might go again...I'm undecided.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We ended up here only because the grouchy, unhelpful front desk staff at our hotel told us that there aren't any regular pizza joints in Newport or the area. Which, of course is ridiculous but we didn't just want to randomly pick a pizza place we drove by. They clearly just want to funnel all of their customers who ask for Italian or pizza to this place. Anyhoo....

On a Saturday night in January, there were only 3 parties in the restaurant, not a good sign. Still, they were friendly and nice to our kids who are quite "active", shall we say in terms of dropping utensils, needing more crayons, etc. You know the deal. I wanted to order a martini but they do not have a full bar. No problem, this was just supposed to be a quick pizza night anyways. I ordered a Greek style salad that I thought was very good. We ordered a half pepperoni pizza that was pretty decent. Crust on the thicker side, very greasy, but tasted good. We didn't leave a scrap so I guess it wasn't that bad.

We did notice that at all of the other tables (all two of them) everyone was ordering entrees rather than pizza, and they looked pretty good. Like your typical red sauce Italian place.

In the end, we had a decent meal but I left wishing that we had just found the equivalent of "Newport House of Pizza" or otherwise. Shame on us for not bringing our computer so we could have found a place on our own. I hate relying on hotel people for help.

1  Thank CookingGirl73
Reviewed January 15, 2014

The food was mediocre and the service was pleasant but VERY slow. The prices are not excessive, but you kind find a better meal in Newport or Middletown for less money. I'd pass on it.

4  Thank BSjosten
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Living in the NYC area it may be a bit unfair to compare, but the Italian food is average at best.I ordered pasta with the veal and I got a plate of limp overcooked pasta with sauce dumped on top.The veal was way to dry and tasteless. My wife ordered lasagna with many cheeses. there was no ricotta cheese.( my kids ordered the pasta and chicken parm and it was the same). This place has some specials that are cheap and that is the only reason for me to eat here again after paying the crazy prices at some of the downtown Newport restuarants.

Hint to the chef. Leave pasta a bit al dente and finish cooking the pasta in the sauce so that the pasta is coated with sauce. Food Network 101

2  Thank don c