“Great”

Panera Bread
Ranked #69 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed June 25, 2012

While staying in Newport, RI at the Wyndham Long Wharf, my boyfriend and I would walk up a block to this Panera Bread for coffee and some breakfast. When weather permitted it, we sat right outside in the pedestrian square and watched the town come to life. On rainy days, we sat inside in some very comfortable chairs. Convenient, decent price, great location, friendly, and fast! :)

Bottom line: Definitely recommend!

Reviewed June 24, 2012

While the service was slow ( a tour bus came right before us) it was comprable to any other Panera we have visited. One member of our family got the Lobster roll which she loved! It was very lite on the mayo and perfectly fresh, something our Midwestern family found the perfect treat. The rest of our meals were typical Panera and it was a great place to grab lunch and people watch while sitting outdoors.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I needed to eat and it was there and familiar. I liked that I was able to get soup and bread and get back to shopping quickly.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

We had a breakfast here and it is quick and inexpensive and quite good. The location on the main street is convenient if you are touring and want a bite to eat without the time and expense of a sit down waiter style meal.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I have been to Panera Bread 5 times. Mainly I went because I was addicted to their artichoke spinach turkey sandwich. Its good. Then I found out it has enough fat and calories to cause your arteries to rupture (49g of fat???? and 2000 mg of sodium).

The beauty of Newport is that there are almost NO chain restaurants. Panera bread sticks out like a sore thumb. The nice thing about local restaurants is that when you eat there, the money you spend there stays in the community. When you eat at Panera bread, about 30% of the money you spend there goes to the British Company, Compass Food Group, PLC. Why would anyone want to send their hard earned money overseas is beyond me. You can get the same or better food of similar quality at the Panini Grille or Fatulli's.

Its the same mentality as the Walmart shopper. You want high unemployment? You want low wages in America, please, keep shopping at Walmart. While you may save a couple bucks on that flat screen tv, you will end up only hurting yourself in the long run.

Back to Panera Bread. The place is too crowded, often long lines, tourists with crying children, not enough seating. The food is unhealthy, not made with fresh or locally sourced ingredients, and you are hurting your community by going there.

I wish the Newport Creamery was still there.

2  Thank Rhody R