“Gross...What Happened?!!!!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“Gross...What Happened?!!!!”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

It was a beautiful Friday night and I was looking forward to heading to Newport for my favorite Lobster salad by the water at H20. Made it there by 7:30pm. I sensed something wrong imediately as we walked to the hostess stand and looked around the place. It was pretty empty for a waterfront restaurant on a midsummer Friday night. I soon realized WHY! We were immediately taken to a table for two and told that our waitor would be right with us. We waited 15 minutes with no one coming over to the table. We'd had enough and decided to leave. As we were getting up, the manager rushed over to apologize. He state that it was his fault as he had changed the wait staff stations around just as we came in which created confusion among them. He offered us a complimentary drink and assigned a watress to us immediately. She was rather young, obviously innexperienced but friendly and wanted to do a good job so we did stay. Feeling a little uneasy, we decided that we would keep the food order light. Looking at the menu, I couldn't find that wonderful lobster salad plate I had been so dreaming about all the way there so I questioned the waitress and she then broke the news...it had been removed from the menu. There was a new owner and some of the food selections had been deleted. Disappointing but the little necks with chorico was still there so we ordered it and also the crab cakes. When the food arrived, I was so shocked at the presentation of the littlenecks. Sittling on top of them was a hot dog bun, sliced in half and grilled to a burnt crisp. To make a long story short, the food was awful! Worst than awful! The chorico was rubbery, the peppers and onions were mushy almost unrecognizable and the littlenecks were not fresh. The crab cakes were not very good either. Now I know why the place was empty! What a sad situation. I feel that the new owner must not have very much experience with running a restaurant! He needs a new chef! Maybe go here for drinks before heading out to one of the many other restaurants in Newport that cares about serving good and fresh food. Sorry H20, I will never go here again.

1 Thank Luvsfood2

Narragansett, Rhode Island
“great food, great view, great service”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We went to H2O with some concenrs given some of the recent reviews, but were pleasantly surprised. There were five of us and every entree was a hit! Several people started off with chowder and all said it was fantastic. The salads were also great. Entrees were all fantastic. The scallop entree was served with pickled kumquats over arugula, along with a risoto cake. The scallops were great, the risoto was great, and the pickled kumquat sauce on the arugula was unbelievable- in a good way! The fish and chips were said to be crisp, fresh and not greasy, with great fries. The swordfish entree was great, not dry and very flavorful. Each entree came with some sides and all the sides were great. Limited and uninspired dessert menu. Perhaps one of the best parts about H2O is that the seating is right on the wharf with a great view of the harbor. All in all, simply great food and a great night. (be warned- expensive, but on par with the Newport area).

Boston
“Great for Drinks on the Harbor”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Just had drinks here, so can't vouch for the food. Fun spot to grab a cocktail on the harbor. They have outdoor seating and varying levels of seating options inside so wherever you sit, you can look over the water. It's a little hard to find which is wonderful, because it's not overcrowded. The waitress was great, and we'll come here again!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice place to sip a drink, watch the boats go by on the harbor and relax”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We happened to discover H2O after wandering around the various shops in the area. I saw the tables and chairs set up outside near the dock, and knew this would be a great place to relax and hang out a little with my fellow travelers on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon.

We didn't eat at the little restaurant, so I can't review the food - but I can, however talk a little about our nice experience in the bar/porch area.

I sipped on a nice strawberry mojito (an interesting drink....basically a mojito with pieces of real strawberry shredded into it... tasted ok, but hard to drink with the strawberry stuck in the straw! I'll probably try something different next time). That was $10 - but I nursed it for quite a while!

The others had their share of coconut martinis (multiple @ $12 per - but I guess they were good!), a mojitorita for $10 (a mojito and margarita at the same time), a pina colada for $12 and some random beers.

The service was pretty slow because the bar was "backed up", but in their defense the place was packed.

Overall, we had a great time with our drinks, with a beautiful view of the harbor right in front of us. Right behind us there was some live music - a guy with a good voice, a guitar and a mike singing decent covers of some mello music. The atmosphere on the harbor totally makes this place a great destination for taking a break between wandering around Newport.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank keyofdee
“Fun Atmosphere”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

A little unorganized opening weekend but a fun spot to look out on Newport Harbor.

Visited April 2011