“A home from home!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Scotland
“A home from home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2007

We were in New England for the fall foliage and touring around. We had booked for two nights at Melville House but added on an extra night - says it all!

First of all to get free parking in such a central location which meant that almost everything was within walking distance and you could ditch the car was heaven.

Priscilla is a wonderful cook and baker and the breakfasts are everything everyone says and more. If you manage to finish it all she brings you seconds! Her cinnamon bread melts in your mouth and her entrees are delicious and filling.

At 4pm there is always fresh coffee or tea with newly made home baking and her chocolate brownies are to die for!

Nothing was too much trouble. My laptop played up while we were there and Bob lent me his. He even printed off directions for us for the next leg of our long journey.

We stayed in room one and it was extremely comfortable and quiet - comfy bed, fluffy quilt and pillows - and a good night's sleep.
Forget hotels - for the personal touch this is the place to stay in Newport. Only go somewhere else if you can't get in here!

• Liked — the atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank corrieScotland

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
St.Croix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

We just had a very enjoyable 2 night stay at the Melville House.
The inn is beautifully kept .Priscella and Bob (the owners) give attention to every detail. We stayed in room #7 which was decorated in a blue colonial motif. The room and in suite bathroom was immaculate. The common rooms are nicely decorated and cozy. Snacks, fruit and home baked goodies are put out with the afternoon tea. Complimentary beverages are available all day. The breakfasts are fabulous, consisting of home made granola served with yogurt, fresh fruit cup, home made muffins or coffee cake, and some type of hot dish. We had Portuguese sweet bread breakfast toast with Vermont syrup the first morning and an egg frittatta with artichoke and salsa the second morning. Both breakfasts were outstanding. The location is great for Newport. The Inn is located on a quiet street 1 1/2 blocks above Thames Street (one of the main shopping and restaurant areas of Newport) They also have a parking lot behind the inn, so parking is not a problem. We highly recommend the Melville House and will stay there again. Hanna and Emma are well behaved adorable small dogs that greet the guests as they arrive at the inn.

• Liked — Decor, Breakfast,Comfort, Location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank island_girl
central maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

I stayed in room #6 at the Melville for 2 nights in July. This was my first B&B experience. We usually stay at "unique" properties instead of chain hotels, but I was travelling alone and wanted to do something different as a treat.

I loved every minute of my stay with Bob, Pricilla, and the dogs Emma and Hannah! The inn is very comfortably furnished; my room was a dream with period furniture, sloped ceilings, crisp linens, soft quilts, and well-placed lighting. I was surprised at how quiet the house and neighborhood was; room six is just at the top of the main stairway but I never heard any noise at all. I'm a tall, plus-sized gal, and thought the bathroom was lovely with a large vanity, shower stall with a nice height on the shower head, and room to move around. The wifi was a great feature as I unfortunately had to tote my laptop and work.

I can't say enough about the full breakfast Pricilla so graciously puts out! Fresh fruit cups, juices, coffee, a great selection of teas, daily homemade breads; the two days I stayed we had pancakes with Vermont maple syrup, and then Eggs Melville which was a puff pastry loaded with scrambled eggs, cheeses and fresh tri-colored peppers. And the granola is really worth talking about, especially mixed with the vanilla yogurt each day.

The afternoon tea and fresh-baked cookies were a treat, as well as the fully-stocked frig for guests with a variety of sodas, juices, and waters. I enjoyed my tea in the guest living room, where a wide variety of local reading material is available. The side garden was also a happy spot to take an afternoon break after touring the mansions.

Note on vehicles - take the smallest vehicle possible! The streets of Newport weren't built for today's land yachts, and you will appreciate the ability to park easier all over town with a smaller ride.

I thought the rate I paid was well within line for the value. Think about what that parking space behind the inn is worth, as well as that can't-be-matched breakfast! Melville is a perfect location for you to get out and walk everywhere. I drove to the mansions, Ocean Drive, and to Gooseberry Beach, but walked everywhere else. Oh, I also drove to Narragansett, which was a fun little half-day trip, even on a rainy day. Stop at the Psychic Kitty in North Kingston for all things "pets!"

I am recommending The Melville House to family and friends headed to Newport, and would happily stay here again.

• Liked — comfort and quality in all aspects
  • Disliked — this is silly, but hooks for the robe and we towels!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank FallVaca06
Hudson, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2007

First the strong points: Location---you can't beat the Melville for their mid-town address--- with off street parking!! Walk to everywhere, except maybe (?) the beach at 1 1/4 mi away. The B'Fast is just like all others have raved about---VERY good, plenty of it---topped by a delicious hot entree'. Hosts are very accessible, knowledgable and helpful .They also offer a fridge stocked w/ complimentary cold beverages, which was a very nice touch. Our only complaint was with the room itself which the owners can't help----it was very small w/ paper thin walls. The bathroom was the smallest we have ever been in. At 6' tall, I had to duck under the shower head and was crammed into the shower stall and the sink was tiny as well making it so uncomfortable to manuever that I skipped my shower before hitting the road back home. I think $225/nite for a mid season weekend was a bit high considering the room size but you do get a nice b'fast for two, so it depends on your preferences.

• Liked — Location, Breakfast
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tafan
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2007

Just had a girls weekend in Newport. We stayed at the Melville House - Bob and Priscilla are great and very hospitable. Priscilla makes an AMAZING breakfast! The granola is homemade and they also sell bags of it, which I recommend!

The Mooring restaurant was really good - we heard the lobster rolls were amazing and they were - probably the best I've had, and it's served on a croissant which was a nice upgrade. The "Bag of Donuts" is a must !!

The Red Parrot was also a good restaurant along with The Brick Alley (really good clam chowder).

We toured the Chateau sur Mar (spelling) and the Breakers (highly recommended) but instead of taking the trolley / driving or walking, we rented bikes on Elm Street (near the visitors center) for $25 for the whole day! It was a GREAT idea and made that trip that much better!

I'd go back to Newport in a heartbeat!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2007

My husband, I and our close friends just got back from a very relaxing and fun weekend at The Melville House. We found them on their website and were pleasantly surprised when we got there. The hosts, Priscilla and Bob, made us feel right "at home." We especially enjoyed the decor of the 1750 Colonial Inn. The rooms were extremely comfortable, the breakfasts were delicious and the 4:00 tea very welcoming. Restaurants and shops are all in easy walking distance. We had a wonderful weekend and are very much looking forward to a return trip.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2006

Great location, friendly hosts, nice rooms. Walking distance to tourist areas. Tasty breakfast and cookies in the afternoon. Very nice stay at the Melville House

• Stayed March 2006