“Fantastic Weekend!”

Ranked #38 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fantastic Weekend!”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I can't say enough good things about my recent stay at the Architect's Inn. We had a delightful time participating in one of their Murder Mystery weekends. The house is a beautiful Victorian mansion with loads of charm. We opted to stay in separate rooms (which was similar in cost to staying together in one of the nicer rooms but put us in the attic). Our rooms were adorable, with pretty decorations and charming sloped ceilings. For an older house, it was very quiet. I never heard my neighbors and the house was full. The only reason I rated my night's sleep lower was because my room was very chilly (remember, old house!). The space heater did a fair job of keeping things warm but next time, I'll heed Nick's instructions and bring flannel pajamas.
The Murder Mystery was a BLAST! I was afraid that it might be difficult to get into my part (not a natural actress) but the actors are so phenominal and the cues so easy to follow that within an hour, I think I actually believed that I was an antiques dealer! The story and characters were well-thought out and engaging. And would you believe it, I actually hijacked the storyline and thinking my cue card instructed me to steal an artifact, I actually stole a crucial prop! I caused the actors to re-write the entire script to deal with my blunder and they did it masterfully!
The game was so fun, I felt like a child all weekend! At the conclusion of the who-dun-it, the guests, actors and innkeepers all laughed like old friends over the many hillarious moments of the weekend.
I would highly recommend the inn, the mystery weekend and the company!

Room Tip: The attic rooms were a nice value (cozy and charming) but if you're looking for grandeur, go for...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Had a great time. Our room was very comfortable. The mystery was fun and the actors did a great job. Everyone was friendly and the slippers rule was very nice for my feet!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CMyHerr
New Jersey
Reviewed November 15, 2011

My husband & I spent two nights at the Inn this past week. Our hosts Nick & Brian were awesome, knew lots about the area, things to do, places to see, where to eat, etc. Our room had a working fireplace that was so nice to relax by.The common areas are cozy & comfortable. In a few weeks those fireplaces will be going too! Breakfasts were delish & presentation was impressive! Nice job, Brian! We spent quite a while just visiting & sharing stories with Nick, which was like meeting an old friend. Hopefully will go back in the warmer weather to relax on the porch with a good book, some fresh baked cookies & a cup of Earl Grey!

Room Tip: LaForge was a great room! Roomy, nice fireplace, king size bed.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank moreenf
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 30, 2011

My wife and I recently spent three lovely nights at the Architects Inn. October is off season but perhaps the best time to visit Newport. Still enough going on, weather is decent and getting around and parking is easy. The Rosewood Room we stayed in was certainly spacious enough and nicely furnished. Bathroom was large and claw foot tub was interesting albeit a bit hard to navigate into and out of.
The Inn is in a great location. A 10 minute walk in one direction takes you to a cluster of restaurants on Broadway like the Fifth Element, Salvation Cafe (both great), Noreys, and Tuckers. A five minute walk in the other direction takes you to the Art Museum and Rosewood Library, and the waterfront area is within a fifteen minute walk if you don't want to drive.
Brian and Nick were great. Didn't see them much during the stay but they made us outstanding breakfasts and spent time chatting with us during and after the meal. Both were friendly, very open and fun to talk to, and in very short time "zeroed in" to what kind of people we were. When we queried them about the mansions and told them two or three max, they gave us an overview of each and suggested which ones we might be enjoy. When we asked about dining they suggested the kinds of spot we liked, unpretentious, and casual but good food. Try Scales and Shells for fresh seafood and Brick Alley and Red Parrot for almost gourmet bar food.
I forgot some files at the Inn upon our departure. Within an hour I received a text from Nick letting me know and he mailed the files to my office. What a life saver that was. Would definitely return to this place as everything about it just made our trip all that much better.
One final note: Brian and Nick are busy guys as they also run another B&B and have a restaurant. So at least in the off season a lot of communication is done by text messaging. This actually pleased us because it rendered them unobtrusive but they always responded quickly. But technically challenged types might not appreciate not having someone around the Inn during large parts of the day. I understand that during the season there are more staff around.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor seemed fine and spacious. I don't know about higher levels.
3 Thank FreddyBoy48
Phoenix
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Stayed at the Architects Inn for 3 days and opted for the lowest rate and was told that it was some sort of special deal although it is a published rate. So if you go for the $69.00 rate as we did just remember the B&B becomes Bed only. And for that price you get to go up 3 floors to the attic and your room will look like part of an attic that may have been used to store stuff. It looks ok until you are in it for a few hours and realize that the usable space is very limited because you are liable to bang your head on the ceiling unless you stay within a certain space. The bathroom is nice but it is tub only and you can't stand up due to the attic slope so it awkward to bath. The bathroom sink has very little water pressure. Nick said that the room usually goes for $225.00 a night but that would be a major rip. The thing the owners have about no shoes due to the floor and carpets should be rethought especially if you come down the stairs with socks on. The last set of stairs going up to the attic rooms are very steep. The first day I fell but was able to grab onto the railing and prevent a major accident, after that we wore our shoes because the risk was too great. Also they were having problems with their credit card processor and could only accept cash or checks. We went back and forth on that issue. Then I read the info brochure in the room it stated that they only take credit cards if the bill is over $600.00. That is a violation of any credit card company's agreement. Everything else was charming but I would not highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get as many specifics as you can. When we asked how much breakfast would cost we were offered a pac...
4 Thank sinis55
Connecticut
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This trip,was the third time staying here. In the past I only traveled to Newport for the day,but after staying here at this Inn for a short stay, realized how much better it is to not rush home in the evening,but stay for awhile and really see Newport. There is so much to do here in this town,impossible to see much in a day visit.Once we stayed here,it all became clear that with the close walking distance from this place to the whole town,this was the best place to choose for a overnight stay,or longer stay.We twice spent four nights here,and I was never bored at all.This mansion is spectacular,a very Newport feel to the place.The owners are great,the breakfast is amazing,the rooms comfortable.I plan another visit here in Dec,hope they have rooms for me!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TommyCT
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 8, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a night this weekend, as she was heading to Newport to get a tattoo done at Anchor Steam. We stayed the night at Architect's Inn, and immediately wished we had booked a longer trip - owners and the other staff were great, as was the breakfast. We had a great time talking with everyone. We'll definitely look to stay there next time we're in Newport.

3 Thank mwpeters8182