“The Most Charming Experiance in Newport”

Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House
Ranked #45 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 25, 2007

My partner and I wanted to spend Labor Day weekend in Newport, RI. Since it was our first time there, we were interested in booking a five day stay. I researched on line several inn options and chose The Architects Inn.
Our great experiance started on the phone booking the trip. Our inkeeper was incredibly helpful, so I chose him over our other option. Once we arrived, we recieved a great tour of the house, our choice of rooms and the key and thereafter felt like we were at home. We chose one of the smaller rooms, but the whirlpool tub, DVD player and comfy bed were far from small in luxury. We got to view some of the larger rooms and suites as well-definately a must for our next trip!
Our daily breakfast was fabulous, including historical information from the inkeeper about Newport and all it had to offer. Our innkeeper's suggestions as to what to do were so good, that we even attended a polo match! All of the recommendations were on point, making our experiance one that we will always cherish. Overall, its a great place to relax, the suites are lovely for a romantic getaway (including the winter since they have fireplaces) and we look forward to returning and bringing some friends!

1  Thank AlmaBklyn

Reviewed October 20, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the Architect’s Inn and we were more than pleased with the impeccable hospitality. Brian and Nick were gracious hosts and their knowledge of the local history was extremely fascinating. Nick’s recommendations on what to do and see were spot-on! Our room was absolutely beautiful and remarkably well-decorated. Also, the gourmet breakfasts were so delicious and healthy. All in all, we had a great stay and we look forward to going
back again!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2007

I had done a lot of research into B&B's and was happy with my final choice - a room at Inn Bliss. However, when we got there the very nice innkeeper, Brian, informed us that we had been "upgraded" to a room at the Architect's Inn. I was totally thrown off by this. Brian told us that it was our decision but we really had the feeling that we would be putting them out if we decided to stick with the room we had reserved. Not wanting to be a pain in the [--], we decided to take the room at the Architect's Inn.

When we got there Nick was waiting for us. He immediately gave us a very detailed guide to what there is to do in Newport which was helpful but a little overbearing. When we finally got to our room it was not as nice as the room I had originally reserved and the bathroom did not have a tub like the other room. I had been very much looking forward to a long soak in a big tub so this was very disappointing to me. The only upgrade about it was the location of the inn. Otherwise, it was a downgrade and I wish I had stuck to my guns - or not been put in that position to begin with.

The food was pretty good. The coffee was great. We signed up for the second shift of breakfast and the first morning we came down Nick was in the middle of a Newport history lecture for the first shift and I felt uncomfortable coming in to the breakfast room - like we were interupting. The second morning was nice - we talked with a nice couple and the food was great. Although, I did feel like Nick was a little disappointed that we weren't relying on him for our entertainment. He sort of sat there and stared at us eating breakast. The last morning was great. Nick was busy and Brian served us a wonderful breakfast - much more our speed.

We didn't spend that much time in the inn because we were out seeing the sites. All in all, it was a fine experience. We didn't let our room situation get us down. I wouldn't stay there again, though.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank NYNY12
InnBliss, Owner at Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2007

I guess I thought we were being nice by giving you the option of upgrading but I guess our hospitality was received incorrectly. If they had only said something about this we could have corrected the situation immediately but, we are only hearing about this now through an online review. At this point, nothing can be done. The Architects Inn (vs the Inn Bliss )location cut their walking time into downtown by half and provided them with more common area, more amenities,more luxurious surroundings and didn't cost them anymore. In fact, we lost money on this just so they would have a better vacation but I guess our hospitality back fired. There is price for being too nice in today's society. Sad but true.

The guests and I had wonderful conversations. They talked with me both at morning breakfasts and in the evenings. I was never given the impression that they never wanted to talk with me especially when they left and they wanted to get a picture with me and everything. The second day for breakfast, I was going to let everyone converse and enjoy breakfast alone but the other couple invited me to sit down and talk with them. Being a polite host, I did so. If these guests didn't want me participating in the conversation, then why was I asked to join them?

I gave them inside information about where to go and what to do in Newport during breakfast on all three days. If that is "overbearing", then I am sorry for trying to help once again. Maybe a hotel would be more their speed.

Reviewed October 8, 2007

I agree with many of the posters here, in that the inn is very well kept, and neat, and the owners are more than welcoming. But I have to agree as well, that I was looking for a romantic weekend and felt, upon entering, cornered by Nick as he dragged us through the first floor and explained the history and surroundings to us. Fine and well, and interesting, but I just wanted to get to my (fairly expensive) bed and lay down before heading out for dinner.
Aside: Try out Tucker's Bistro, btw, and ask for the private room in advance if you can.
The room was adequate, nothing as fancy as I expected for $320+/night, but adequate: decent-sized bed, comfy sheets, no real extra amenities other than water provided. I mus mention the bathroom though, it was awesome: nearly as big as the room itself, old claw porcelain tub, great fixtures, very conducive for a bath. In the end though, wasn't nearly as impressed with the room as I think I should have been. I've stayed in B&Bs before, and much prefer them to charmless hotel rooms, but considering the price tag, I think the ambiance of the room could be drastically improved or the price cheapened for what it was.
Breakfast is how others describe it: whatever Nick/Brian make, so if you enjoy being surprised and possibly choosing to eat elsewhere (my girlfriend did), go for it. I, personally, liked the blueberry french toast that they made for us.
Conclusion, no problems other than not being able to get those 5-10 minutes of my life back that Nick stole, not terribly impressed in the least, great bathroom in our sweet, next time in Newport I'm going to find a more romantic place for my money.

5  Thank sonicdeathmonkey

Regarding breakfast...this not a chain hotel with a full service restaurant. I hope people understand that we can't offer a full choice menu every morning if we are trying to cook everything from scratch like we do. This is not how B&B's work. We ask everyone when they book the room if there are any foods that they do not like. They have a second option to voice that again when they arrive, so we do our best to help cater to your needs but we are not mind readers.

Most people love a tour of the inn when they check in so they know where things are and where breakfast will be served, etc.

Funny...I remember this couple and their trip ended up pretty romantic. Interesting in that I (Nick) recommeneded Tuckers where I arranged (in secret) that they receive a private booth and had a very romantic evening. I also recommended a few other romantic spots to stop in during that 5-10 minutes that I "stole" from them.

Reviewed September 30, 2007

We stayed at the Architect's Inn for two nights in August. The house is beautiful and Nick was a very pleasant and helpful host. The breakfasts were tasty although we expected a little more than just french toast or pancakes...a few sides would have been nice, such as bacon, home fries, etc.

We stayed in one of the standard rooms on the top floor of the house. Our room was nice and the bed was amazingly comfortable.

The location of the inn is great, just a short walk from the main sections of Newport.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank laurvin
Reviewed September 23, 2007

I'm just not sure what all the hoopla is about for the Architect's Inn. It was adequate, nothing terribly wrong about the place but it does not live up to the high ratings on TA.

Maybe I'm jaded but I've seen lots of places much nicer than the Architects Inn. For the price (in comparison to others in Newport) and the reviews I expected something quite special. Can't say that much about the place other than it's just OK.

Also, everyone seems to think Nick is just wonderful. To me he's obtrusive and officious. Kind of hard to get away from him once he starts holding court. He's pretty carried away with himself and I would have been much happier if I had seen and heard a lot less from him.

Way too many rules and regulations at the Architects Inn for my taste. Don't do this, don't do that. Make sure you do this, make sure you do that. I think a better name would be the Anal-Retentive Inn.

The bed was comfy, the cookies delicious. Breakfast was just fair and the location is good. But next time I think I'll look for something a little more laid back and welcoming.

11  Thank mistermooney
Reviewed September 14, 2007

We can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay at the Architects Inn. Nick, the Inn Keeper, was very accomodating from our first contact (booking our room) to the moment we checked out. Our room was decorated tastefully and very comfortable. Nick's breakfast of fresh fruit in yogurt , muffins and coffee cake, and blueberry pancakes were delicious. Once everyone had been served, Nick entertained us with a colorful account of Newport's histroy and the people that made Newport what it is today. The attention to detail, the architectural features of the Inn, and warm hospitality, make this a B&B experience worth returning to.

2  Thank ScottDDS