“Had a good stay”

Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House
Ranked #43 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 30, 2007

We stayed at the Architect's Inn for two nights in August. The house is beautiful and Nick was a very pleasant and helpful host. The breakfasts were tasty although we expected a little more than just french toast or pancakes...a few sides would have been nice, such as bacon, home fries, etc.

We stayed in one of the standard rooms on the top floor of the house. Our room was nice and the bed was amazingly comfortable.

The location of the inn is great, just a short walk from the main sections of Newport.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank laurvin
There are newer reviews for Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House

Reviewed September 23, 2007

I'm just not sure what all the hoopla is about for the Architect's Inn. It was adequate, nothing terribly wrong about the place but it does not live up to the high ratings on TA.

Maybe I'm jaded but I've seen lots of places much nicer than the Architects Inn. For the price (in comparison to others in Newport) and the reviews I expected something quite special. Can't say that much about the place other than it's just OK.

Also, everyone seems to think Nick is just wonderful. To me he's obtrusive and officious. Kind of hard to get away from him once he starts holding court. He's pretty carried away with himself and I would have been much happier if I had seen and heard a lot less from him.

Way too many rules and regulations at the Architects Inn for my taste. Don't do this, don't do that. Make sure you do this, make sure you do that. I think a better name would be the Anal-Retentive Inn.

The bed was comfy, the cookies delicious. Breakfast was just fair and the location is good. But next time I think I'll look for something a little more laid back and welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
11  Thank mistermooney
Reviewed September 14, 2007

We can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay at the Architects Inn. Nick, the Inn Keeper, was very accomodating from our first contact (booking our room) to the moment we checked out. Our room was decorated tastefully and very comfortable. Nick's breakfast of fresh fruit in yogurt , muffins and coffee cake, and blueberry pancakes were delicious. Once everyone had been served, Nick entertained us with a colorful account of Newport's histroy and the people that made Newport what it is today. The attention to detail, the architectural features of the Inn, and warm hospitality, make this a B&B experience worth returning to.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ScottDDS
Reviewed August 30, 2007

Loved our first B & B experience! Nick and Brian were very accomodating for our son's wedding weekend. Our friends and family rented out the entire house. Rooms were clean and LARGE. Convenient location to town and breakfast was great.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank straidman
Reviewed August 29, 2007

I'm undecided about my stay at the Architect's Inn. Maybe I was expecting too much after reading all of the great reviews. I've just stayed in nicer B&B's - so I don't really know what all the fuss is about. Brian and Nick were very nice and hospitable and always around the house to take care of any needs. My issues are in regards to the room and breakfast. First the room - we stayed in the Perry suite - the bedroom was very nice and the bathroom was especially nice. However, certain details left something to be desired. The "suite" is actually more of a wing of the house - a hallway with the bathroom, bedroom, and living room all separate doorways off of the hallway - and there is a staircase at the end of the hallway that leads downstairs - maybe to where Brian and Nick live? The odd part, though, was the huge hot tub covered in a blanket that was blocking the stairway to prevent people from walking down there. I think a rope with a little "do not enter sign" would be a viable alternative. The housekeeping was also spotty - some days we were given bottles of water, and other days not. As with most B&B's they have the "towel on the floor" policy - which I'm totally fine with and always reuse my towels - however they weren't even re-folded and put back nicely on the racks. On top of this, an envelope was on the dresser with a note specifically explaining how the innkeepers/housekeeping should get tipped for the cleaning. Ok - so on to breakfast - breakfasts were communal - which I'm fine with, however the food was served out of communal dishes (with no option for breakfast by the way - you eat what is made) - so it was always difficult to know how much food to take so no one else was deprived. One morning they handed out the smallest dish of scrambled eggs that needed to feed 8 people. I received the dish first and took the tiniest scoop of eggs - it was just ridiculous. The other issue with breakfast was that this was the time Brian and Nick wanted to socialize - and I felt awkward trying to eat my breakfast with them standing over me, talking to me. So - I guess paying $900 for three nights for an odd room, spotty housekeeping, and skimpy, awkward breakfasts just really wasn't for me.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank NYTraveler82
Reviewed August 29, 2007

The Architect's Inn was one of the most romantic inns that we have ever visited. It had exceeded our expectations! We were celebrating a special anniversary, so an environment that would enhance the occasion was just splendid.

Nick, the innkeeper, was fabulous in giving us a wealth of information before we arrived. He has an extraordinary sense of the diverse array of restaurants. We were delighted with all the terrific suggestions that he had for us. He has an incredible knowledge of the history of Newport. This made our discovery of the town even more enjoyable.

The inn itself was in a historic location of town - very beautiful and peaceful. You were able to park your car at the inn and walk to town or the beach . The location was just perfect. Most impressive was how gorgeous the inn was - it was a slice of history that is treasured.
The decor and comfort elements of the inn were superb. We truly felt as though we had come to stay with old friends.

We look forward to returning to Newport and the Architect's Inn next year to create new memories.

Shelley Bayne and Ron Capozzi

3  Thank musicbuff
Reviewed August 26, 2007

this inn was the perfect way to enjoy the weekend of wedding bliss for our nephew. we wanted a place we could all gather since we are scattered all over the u.s. Nick and Brian were gracious hosts and chatted with us as if they were part of the family. the rooms were large, beds perfectly comfy and the entire place was immaculate. i would definately stay there again should the occasion arise.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business