“AFTER MANY, MANY STAYS THIS CONTINUES TO BE ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLACES TO STAY!”

Francis Malbone House Inn
Ranked #2 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I have been staying at the Malbone House with my family most summers since it was first opened. I still love the cozy, authentic feel of it. I love its location on Thames Street because you are able to walk to a variety of stores and restaurants all while enjoying Newport's wonderful scenery. The breakfast each morning is fantastic. It caters to both those who like a light breakfast on the run or those who prefer to sit and eat something more filling. The food is superb. The afternoon tea comes complete with fun treats that are to die for. The garden is quiet, relaxing and a great place to sit and read or catch up on emails. Overall, the Malbone House is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy your time in Newport.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,256)

Reviewed August 3, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Malbone House because of the warm friendly atmosphere and the attentive service . When we arrived at lovely appointed room, a platter of cheese and crackers was waiting for us, an unexpected treat. The room and bath were elegant and meticulously clean. Luxurious bathrobes and toiletries completed the elegant feel of our room. Each day we looked forward to a delicious, homemade breakfast and tea. These meals offered opportunities to meet and mingle with other guests.

Our package included a complementary meal at a local restaurant and a trip to the Newport Winery. The staff at the Malbone was wonderful in helping us select the restaurant that would suit us best. Our trip to the winery was interesting and provided just the right bit of entertainment for a lovely fall afternoon in Newport.

This was our first trip to the inn and we are looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2009

The location is the best. The rooms are the best. The food is the best. The bed is soooo comfortable. You name it, you expect it in a B & B, you've got it here!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2009

My husband and I have been coming to Newport for the past 5 years. Recently, we had the opportunity to stay at the Francis Malbone House for July 27th and 28th. It was exactly what we had wanted and expected from reading the other reviews. In the past, we have been disappointed with some of the hotels being not as clean or as updated as they should be for the price of the rooms. I wanted something a little different and special but most of all, I did not want to be disappointed. After obtaining quotes from other hotels and establishments, I soon discovered that the Francis Malbone House was a well-kept secret. The cost of our room was the same as at the hotels except that we also received free-parking and an unbelievable breakfast in the morning. If that was not enough to convince me, there was also the afternoon tea time with colds drinks and the most delicious homemade pies, cookies, along with fruit, cheese and crackers. The minute that we walked into the house we knew that it was going to be great! Since parking is a big problem in Newport, we were able to park our car in the large parking lot behind the house which was so convenient. We stayed in the new section which was very clean and decorated according to the time period of the house. But, I would not hesitate to stay in the original section. Our king size bed was very comfortable and high so there was a step-stool available to climb into bed. It was also interesting being able to walk through the rest of the house or to sit in one of the rooms to relax. Each bedroom did have an air-conditioner and a fireplace which must be awesome in the winter. As other reviewers have stated, the gourmet breakfast was amazing. Every morning we had the choice of two creative hot selections (eggs, pancakes, etc.) and there was cereal, homemade scones, and yogurt with fruit. We ate our breakfast in the courtyard filled will beautiful planters and a small water fountain. After eating such original tasty homemade food, it was rather disappointing when we went out to other places and did not find the same quality. But, what makes this a wonderful place to stay is its location. It is perfectly located near the harbor and all of the action. I do plan on returning in October with another couple. This is obviously not a place for young children but a place that any couple can enjoy. I know that the owner Will and the staff will do everything possible to make sure that you have a wonderful time in Newport!

Reviewed July 31, 2009

We stayed in the Francis Malbone House for 2 nights on July 27 &28th. We selected it from the reviews on Trip Advisor. It exceeded our expections in location, rooms and food. I cannot understand how there are other inns in Newport that are higher on the list. Malbone is on Thames street in the heart of the shopping area and on the harbor. All the restaurants are easy walking distance as well as most of the sights.
The room we had had a sitting area and a private courtyard. It was a perfect room. Breakfast is outstanding in selection of offerings and presentation. They go way over what they have to for breakfast and I would go back just for the breakfast alone. Afternoon tea is another food treat with fresh baked pastries, iced coffee, iced tea and lemonade.
If you are going to Newport call Will Dewey for a room and you will be doing yourself a favor. The Francis Malbone House is a gem.

Reviewed July 22, 2009

I stayed here for a long weekend with friends and really recommend it. The place is a little pricey but prices are in line with other B&B's in the location. The main street location is perfect and there is no issue with it being noisy at all (my bedroom window faced the street and I never heard any outside noise). The breakfasts are AMAZING as is the afternoon tea time with lots of delicious appetizers and sweets. The staff is wonderful and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2009

All I can say is total PERFECTION...from check in to check out.
The Inn has 2 sections- we stayed in the newer section since it had king beds and a double jacuzzi.. The innkeeper/owner , Will, was wonderful the entire time we were there..from helping with numerous directions,changing restaurant reservations,and advising us on dining options.. The room was VERY pretty- with a working fireplace that we did not need in July. The bed is a plantation bed and you need a step to get up..it is a little slippery from being so waxxed so be careful. The BEDDING is totally luxurious-made in Italy and felt like silk as the thread count was so high..the MATTRESS was one of the MOST comfortable mattresses I have ever been on in a hotel/inn. We wanted to strap it to the roof of the car and take it away. Our ONLY negative was the jacuzzi..it is extremely DEEP but since it had a sliding glass door on it, it was hard to get in and out of..A BAR on the wall to hold onto would sure help. I am 5'6" and I felt like I needed a stool to get in and out of it. Breakfast every day had a huge variety- scones,coffee cakes,breads,ceral,yogurt and 2 Cooked to order choices daily...The cinnamon waffles with pears and raspberry sauce was WONDERFUL as was the Poached eggs with spinach,bacon and english muffin. The 3 pm tea was ideal every day- Ann Marie's Chocolate cake with chocolate ganache was FABULOUS and she does give the recipe.
We did the tea everyday and it was alway different..and a nice way to relax in the courtyard with the fountain running. The inn is DIRECTLY IN TOWN which makes it an IDEAL place to stay-esp. if you walk to walk to shops,the wharf,and restaurants.
Make sure you let Will book a tour for you of the Doris Duke Mansion- Rough Point. It is FANTASTIC and our guide was wonderful. We had dinner at Tucker's Bistro,Bouchards And Castle Inn..It was an anniversary weekend and we totally splurged- look under each restaurant for our reviews ! All I can say is PERFECTION---Go- enjoy this inn- we want to come back in the Fall just to use the fireplace for a romantic weekend.!!

1  Thank FLAndy