“Such a lucky find!”

Francis Malbone House Inn
Ranked #2 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Newport Tourist information bureau sent us here, what a wonderful choice for us. Beautiful, we did not want to leave! I would rate the afternoon tea in the garden as one of the highlights of our visit to New England. This hotel is wonderful and I would recommend anyone visiting Newport to stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed @ the very top, room smaller than some of the others, but quiet, clean and sooo comfy. Al...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,233)

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have visited the Francis Malbone House 3 times in the past year and love, love, love it! My last visit was an extended stay (2 weeks) and I hated to leave. Will and his fabulous staff truly understand that details matter! From the moment you arrive, you feel welcomed and at home. You can't wait to go to breakfast and afternoon tea is worth planning your day around. I have a daughter at university in Newport and I'm thrilled that for the next 4 years the Francis Malbone House will be my home.

Room Tip: I've stayed in 5 different room and every one is charming, clean and inviting
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Empressdye
Innkeeper02840, Owner at Francis Malbone House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for the kind words Sharman! You are now part of our Malbone family and if your daughter ever needs anything while she is at Salve makes sure she knows she can rely on us!!
Hope you had a safe trip home-

Regards,

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We would like to echo the many positive reviews for The Francis Malbone House. We just celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary so we wanted a special getaway. I was nervous coming from Philadelphia as we knew nothing about Newport, RI, but Anne Maria made me feel so comfortable on the phone that I decided to make The Francis Malbone House our choice. We just spent the weekend there and it really is a wonderfully charming historical little hideaway. It is so relaxing and peaceful. The staff, including the innkeeper, Will are so generous with their time. They enjoy listening to your experiences and were so helpful in providing information about the places to see and the Newport Mansions. The made dinner reservations for us at Jo's Bistro. We had so much fun there with the staff and owner. They too, made our evening memorable.

We sat in the "red room" each morning to read the paper and enjoy several delicious cups of coffee. We then moved to the courtyard garden where french doors go out to a garden with beautiful wrought iron tables and a trickiling fountian with litlle birds taking in water. Breakfast was delicious and all the staff greets you when they walk by but quietly. The location is the best. We walked everywhere. Our room was quaint and I think the smallest but it was still wonderful. It is very clean and well kept. We took a peek around at some of the other rooms when we were leaving and we can't wait to return. Thank you to everyone at Francis Malbone House for truly making our stay so wonderful!!

It is really a wonderful place. You will not be disappointed. Newport, Rhode Island is a beautiful place. The weather was picture perfect to visit the mansions and to stroll along the Cliff Walk.

Jill,

Thank you for the nice comments about the Malbone House. I'm glad you were able to relax and enjoy the inn for your anniversary. The owners of Jo's Bistro said they had a nice conversation with you both! Glad you liked our suggestion. Enjoy this beautiful Fall weather and we look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

The afternoon tea, I miss immediately once back to regular life. The amazing full breakfast in the morning, the luxurious bathrobes, the fireplace in each room. It is all so perfect and amazing. This particular visit, we chose a courtyard room that had french doors opening out to the beautiful couryard. We spent so much time relaxing in the open air, yet secluded from the rest of the world. We are steps away from the restaurants, so we do not have to worry about driving or parking. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I hope to never stay anywhere else while relaxing in Newport.

Room Tip: Each room is beautiful and different. The Harborview rooms and the Courtyard rooms are the roomiest...
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Quaint, clean and the beautifully kept grounds are second only to the atmosphere, attitude and professionally friendly staff. Don't judge the outside; within the walls will transform your thoughts. Absolutely loved it here.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 27, 2013

What an absolutely perfect experience. Staying at the Francis Malbone House was like taking a trip back in time with all the amenities of today. Rooms were impeccably furnished, bedding to adore, and hot water galore. I treated myself to a birthday present by staying at the House, and the staff treated me to chocolate covered strawberries in my room. It is so centrally located that one can get to anything by foot. The staff oozed hospitality. I felt like this was my personal house, but I didn't have to clean. The homemade breakfast and afternoon tea would make any culinary expert salivate! Have your pick--hot or cold food. This was my first visit, and I have decided I would not want to stay at any other inn in Newport.

Room Tip: The rooms on the street side are extremely quiet. Do not be afraid to stay in them.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank jody d

Wow! You are such a great writer! Thank you Jody for the beautiful words ! We so enjoyed having you here for your birthday! The weather couldn't have been nicer (Yes, I'm still wearing shorts!) Have a great Fall-

Reviewed September 26, 2013

From the immaculate accommodations to the perfect food and service our two night stay for seven women exceeded our previous stay three years ago. A Newport mansion itself with many rooms, high ceilings and beautifully restored woodwork it also allowed us to walk to dinners and lunch just as a city location should.

Room Tip: Pop for the antique mason house if you are a group of four if you can
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends