“More like a Haunted House Experience....!”
Review of Armistead Cottage

and 1 more site!
Armistead Cottage
Ranked #14 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 20, 2013

First, you juggle cars in their driveway, and try not to bang anyone's doors...the room is sufficient, I guess, although it hurts to get up onto the bed. The frame hits your legs every time. The bath water doesn't get very hot, and you can hear through the walls. SHE was a bit ghoulish and one must question a room full of everything CARROT taking up every square inch. Fetish, is an understatement. HE wasn't even in town until the next day. Taking luggage up those stairs is a real feat. Breakfast ? Are you kidding me? You are on vacation ! Not in school ! Be there at 9 ? It consisted of a baked apple, first course. A muffin, second course, and an egg in a crock dish and cold toast. Their banter was like sharing a meal with people who think they are funny, and need an audience. But more than that we felt so "judged". We asked her how to determine the channels on the TV in the room and she said "Oh, I don't know how to work any of that internet stuff..." Where was a good restaurant in town for oysters? She got a look on her face like a vegetarian being asked who had the bloodiest steaks in town ! We felt uncomfortable the entire time there and it was the most expensive of all our nights on vacation, including Hiltons, Westins, etc. WE sure couldn't find anything to do in Newport but drive the Mansions route several times. No, thanks.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank glowie_emerson
CharlieandRo, Owner at Armistead Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

We never like hearing that any of our guests were unhappy when they
come to stay with us. Both Charles and I were very sorry to see a
negative review, especially since we rarely if ever get them. We feel
sorry that these folks’ trip to Newport was not what they expected it
to be. I was surprised to see in their review that all they could
find to do was travel the Mansion/Ocean Drive route. Most of our
guests have to return because there’s not enough time to see and do
everything. We have many brochures of many sites, events, etc in the
area which everyone is shown upon coming into our home. It was a
strange comment to make since Newport Rhode Island is one of the
United States premier tourist spots. Newport’s’ tourist center could
have also aided in their search for things to do.
I do realize that everyone is entitled to their opinions, but after
reading this guest’s review it was truly upsetting. It seemed to be
more of a personal insult attack than a constructive review. I will
not mention all their issues but try to address a few that stand out
the most. As for any surprise of the room or what it looked like or
the accoutrements in it, should have been no surprise at all since the
web site has photos and descriptions. Our web site has photos and
descriptions of rooms, common areas and even the staircase. There is
plenty of space in our driveway for our two guestroom guests to park
their vehicles with no issues. The cost is very average for the area
and actually below average for mid-week. They also did ask for a
price reduction on top of the already low rate, which we gave them
happily. On a personal note in reference to my carrot museum, I do
have a small area off my kitchen devoted to my hobby of collecting
carrot items. Actually, it is very well known of and has been see on
TV, magazines, and newspapers. It is also shown on our web site. As a
side note, in reference to their mention of not knowing what certain
channels are on cable TV, we have taken action on this and are placing
channel cards in the rooms so people know what channel is what.
After looking over these guests review I noticed form previous parts
of their vacation they only stayed at hotels. It is a fact that some
folks are only hotel people and really shouldn’t stay at B&B’s. It is
two different worlds all together. Upon greeting them I do remember
they seemed upset and disturbed. Usually I chalk this up to a long
car ride, and soon after settling in most people enjoy their visit.
But, they seemed at once disappointed and upset with everything; if
there were other personal issues I’m not sure. No matter what,
Charles and I always try to make everyone feel at home and
comfortable.
Again, we are both very sorry that these guests were not happy. Even
a one night visit, such as they had should be filled with fun,
comfort, and most of all satisfaction.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We recently returned from a "girls get-away" to Newport involving an overnight at Armistead Cottage. Romana was the consummate B&B proprietor, providing us with a map, suggestions for local restaurants, and other activities. She is warm and gracious in her interactions with guests. Breakfast was absolutely scrumptious as an added bonus. The property is in a quiet residential neighborhood close in proximity to Bellevue Avenue. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. We will be returning, for sure! Armistead Cottage has the cottage charm we love when traveling..

Room Tip: All rooms are well appointed and comfortable. Grounds are lovely and groomed. The front porch is inv...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I just returned from an extended weekend stay with my boyfriend and another couple. We love this inn. Located on a pretty , quiet residential street but still close to everything Newport has to offer. Romana & Charles were wonderful. They made us feel right at home. They were very friendly and really nice people that we had the pleasure of meeting. We enjoyed their recommendations on places to dine as well as activities. We loved sitting on the beautiful porch as well as the cozy living room. The inn was spotless and the rooms are very comfortable. It was a cooler weekend and we really liked the fireplace in our room. The breakfast was very good and we were all happy it was served at 9am. Late enough to enjoy sleeping in but early enough to have plenty of time to enjoy the sights. The carrot museum was awesome. It was a lot if fun checking out the vast collection. We will definitely stay here again on any future trips to Newport.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2013

great place to stay the owners Romana & Charles were to much fun ! and let me tell you delious breakfast . my wife and i would defintly go back . Newport is a fun town with alot of history we had a blast !

Reviewed April 24, 2013

My boyfriend found this perfect gem while looking for a place to stay in Newport & I am so glad he did. We had a fantastic weekend! Romana & Charles are both wonderful people who make you feel welcome & at home. The rooms are beautifully decorated and 100% spotless. The breakfast was amazing, with fresh ingredients, & a splash of their unique taste. Romana was more than accommodating and made sure our coffee cups were never empty through out the entire breakfast. Her warm and charming personality was what made our weekend. My boyfriend could not have found a better place to stay! I can't wait to go back and visit very soon.

1  Thank Chelsea P
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have been to many hotels and motels and always wanted to write a review, but never got around to it. However, this one was too good to not let others know. My wife Rita and I spent four days at the Armistead. They were the pleasantest we have ever spent in any lodging. The breakfasts, accommodations, the attentiveness to all our needs, not to mention the entertainment at Sunday morning breakfast by Romana and Charles were all off the chart. We not only had a clean, elegant room, but also the cordial atmosphere we felt from the moment we arrived
at the Armistead. We could not have felt more at home if we were in our own home. If your plans are to be in Newport, R.I., and you are looking for a place to stay, I would strongly recommend that you consider the Armistead Cottage Inn. We came home from the Armistead just bubbling over with enthusiasm about it. We will definitely make this an annual trip. Super experience.

Room Tip: Rita and I stayed in the Victorian Room, but there are all excellent.
1  Thank Tony G
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at Armistead Cottage for a winter weekend get away and had such a wonderful time! Romana & Charles were awesome – warm & friendly with fun quirky personalities! They were full of helpful information (and deals) for local attractions and places to eat and places to shop.

I travel several times a year and have high expectations when it comes to my hotel (in this case B&B) and I couldn't have asked for anything better! I had a super comfortable Queen bed that offered me the best sleep I have had in a long time - it was really peaceful, warm with an awesome fireplace and not just the bedroom - but the whole house was unbelievably spotless! The décor is vintage ornamented and quite adorable!

The B&B was on a quiet residential street close to local attractions (Cliff Walk & beach, the Wharf & Thames Street shopping and the Mansions) and the neighborhood seemed very safe.

I will definitely be visiting again and will definitely be staying at Armistead Cottage with Romana & Charles!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo