“Absolutely wonderful place!!”
Review of Armistead Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Armistead Cottage
Ranked #16 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
“Absolutely wonderful place!!”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed in Armistead Cottage for my boyfriend's birthday. It was excellent, Romana is a wonderful host, food was delicious, rooms super clean and cozy. B&B is very close to the Second beach and Cliff Walk, location is great. I very recommend it!

Room Tip: All rooms are great!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
CharlieandRo, Owner at Armistead Cottage, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
We are so pleased that you had such a wonderful time with us at Armistead Cottage Kate, and we look forward to your return visits.

Thanks again,

Romana and Charles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2012

It was mine and my partners first time in Armistead Cottage and we loved it. From the moment we saw the cottage we knew we had made the right choice. Its a beautiful, dream house, with a lovely swing on the porch. I felt in love with the house straight away. Its beautifly designed and furnished in very elegant style with great attention to detail, just perfect.

I could definetely live there and spend romanting evenings on the porch covered with blankets and drinking hot tea with fresh mint from Romanas garden. I just cannot rate this place highly enough. Romana and Charles were great hosts. Warm and friendly and we felt like a part of the family. Romana gave us all information and ideas of where to eat, things to see and do. We just didn't have enought time to fit it all and it was bit cold so we will be coming back summer time and we will be staying longer next time.

Romana is a great cook. She makes amazing breakfast, fresh and organic. And I have to admit she makes better muffins than my mum ( hope she is not reading it :))

We will be definetely coming back. We could not find anything to fault. The house is beautiful with great location, rooms very clean, beds big and comfortable, food delicious, friendly atmosphere, just perfect a home away from home.
We can highly recomend Armistead Cottage to everyone, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
CharlieandRo, Owner at Armistead Cottage, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay, and we are looking forward to your return in the warmer weather. We will save you a spot on the swing. Sincerely Romana and Charles
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking for an escape from the city and went to Newport. Although we thought about going somewhere else to try something new, we keep coming back to Armistead Cottage, it is always our B&B of choice and has been for years. First of all we love Romana and Charles. They always treat us and all their guests like family. They want to make sure that everyone has a great stay. And Romana's breakfast! So good, especially love her homemade muffins with fresh fruit from the garden.

The Cottage is centrally located - just a five minute walk away from first beach and cliff walk, since it was cold outside we decided to do Cliff Walk, a great adventure! We also loved our room. It was spacious yet very cozy. I saw another comment about a plunger in the room, and unlike the other reviewer, I really appreciated it! I've been known to have a sensitive stomach and it's always embarrassing to have to ask someone for a plunger because I clogged the bowl, so better it's in there!

There are some fun idiosyncrasies of the house like a carrot museum. This is a place with a lot of character, charm and soul.

2 Thank Ilyssa S
We are so happy that you enjoy coming back time and again to stay with us, and we are looking forward to the next time. Best wishes Romana and Charles
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Me and my husband thought it would be a good idea to take a weekend away from the kids, therefore he insisted we take a trip where we could have time to focus on us. Newport has always been one of our favorite destinations so we researched local B&Bs in the area. I have always liked the home-like and welcoming atmosphere that a B&B offers, and after careful consideration, The Armistead Cottage seemed to be the perfect fit.

We arrived and were greeted by a friendly hostess. Romana showed us to our room and after we settled in, she gave us a tour of the house which included the carrot museum which was recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest single carrot collection and it was quite interesting. Romana was also very helpful with her suggestions of dining locations. The restaurants she recommended turned out to be excellent.

One thing I consider very important is the cleanliness and the house was absolutely spotless. We woke up to a delicious breakfast prepared by Romana at 9AM and we had a lovely conversation with her and her husband, Charles. Romana is very cheerful and has a great sense of humor and made us feel welcomed in her home.

Overall, our stay at the cottage was fantastic and we highly recommend The Armistead Cottage to anyone who needs a weekend away. Thank you Romana and Charles for making our stay memorable and pleasant. We will definitely be coming back the next time we need another weekend away from the kids or just to enjoy one another’s company.

Sandy and Brad

2 Thank Sandy D
CharlieandRo, Owner at Armistead Cottage, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Dear Sandy and Brad
We are so pleased that you chose to stay with us and had such a wonderful experience. It was a pleasure meeting both of you, and we hope that you will have the opportunity to come back and do it all over again, Sincerely, Romana and Charles
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My husband and I went for a one night getaway. Location of the BnB was very good. There were some idiosyncratic but fun elements about the inn...the carrot museum to begin with. Our room was poorly heated...bathroom had no heat whatsoever. The shower was very small and I am not that big (5'4"). It was nice to have a TV in the room with a large collection of DVDs available to watch. The fireplace was very nice. However, the night we arrived the toilet was not working. There was a plunger right next to it leading me to believe there are some ongoing plumbing problems. The breakfast was not very good...and there were WORMS on my plate! Apparently, the owners grow their own mint, which I think is fantastic. Next to my French toast, there were two mint leaves. Another guest at one point during breakfast asked me,"Is something moving on your plate?" I saw two tiny green worms, reaching one by one for the French toast. They were the same color as the mint, so I can understand how they would have been cammouflaged and unnotived. We told the owner. What was upsetting, was that there was no apology about it, just an "How did that happen?!" response, which I thought was unacceptable. When we checked out, we thought she would reduce the charge, but no. This place is not worth it. We won't be back. My suggestions to the owners: With some upgrading and attention to detail, this place could be so much better...We would have been more likely to recommend the BnB and return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nadiaboston
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I had a week off of work and decided to take my girlfriend on a nice relaxing trip to Newport to unwind and hopefully, relax a little. We researched a lot of nearby places and Armistead came up and we decided to read the reviews. Needless to say, the reviews were right on the mark. This place is amazing.

Romana, the hostess of this great little B&B was a joy to be around. She was full of life and personality, I found myself listening to her with utter enjoyment. The breakfast was great, healthy but hit the spot just right. There was also a young lady, I believe her name was Emine, who was just a joy to be around. She helped with the keeping the place spotless which she did very well.

The rooms were immaculately kept clean and the atmosphere was cozy and romantic. Me and my girlfriend had such a great nights sleep. The B&B was located in a very quiet street, and was close to the renowned cliff walk. This place is just as described, a great way to enjoy a weekend with someone special.

I highly recommend Armistead Cottage for anyone heading to Newport and looking for a great place to stay.

4 Thank James214
Goffstown, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We celebrated our 16th anniversary at the Armistead in late October. The room was very romantic, the breakfast was fantastic and Romana is truly one of a kind, in the most complimentary way of course. If you go to Newport and don't stay here you will regret it.
Sincerely, Gary and Laura from NH