“Mark & Dana are wonderful!!”

Marshall Slocum Inn
Ranked #9 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
New York, NY
“Mark & Dana are wonderful!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2005

First and formost any review you read prior to May 2005 no longer matters. Mark & Dana have taken over this wonderful B&B and are amazing. We were only able to stay one night but can't wait to go back. As we were leaving for dinner there was a wonderful aroma wafting through the house of chocolate. When we got back later that night there where double chocolate brownies waiting for us. We had them while sitting on the back candlelit porch so romantic. Breakfast the next morning was delicious. Along with cereal and muffins there was a choice of two plates. Mark's suggestions for lunch and dinner where exactly what we were looking for. The location of the Slocum House is also not to be beat, you could walk into town without a problem. The room was nice and clean and the bed was soooo comfortalbe...we slept like babies.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank jetsetter90

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2005

We stayed 3 nights in this charming inn just steps from downtown Newport. Owners Mark and wife Dana made us most welcome and were a big help with restaurant selections and advising us about other attractions. Mark's skill as a chef were evident every morning with a breakfast that will bring us back here on our next visit.

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank William S
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2005

What a beautiful inn! It is absolutely charming- the furnishings are classy, the beds are so cozy, and we could have spent hours on the front porch rocking chairs!! Mark is a great chef- you would be hard pressed to find a better breakfast in Newport! And Dana is such a gracious hostess. They know a lot about Newport- have great suggestions on where to go and what to see and where to eat. Great location- a short walk downtown. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Newport.

• Stayed June 2005
1 Thank travelleramy101
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2005

This is a beutifully restored historic home. Our Innkeeper was welcoming and friendly. She was also full of information on Newport, even in the off season. Our room was beyond perfect. There were even hand done needlepoint pictures of Boston. A stay here is truly an escape from the everyday world.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2005

Take a few minutes to read all the reviews and then stay elsewhere. There are many pleasant, reputable places to stay in Newport; in my experience the Marshall Slocum is not one of them.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2004

I booked this place thinking it would be intimate, and quiet for my husband and I to get away for a few nights. I was wrong. First of all, and of course not at the fault of the innkeeper, there were 2 women staying there as guests also, and they insisted on helping the innkeeper every morning at breakfast with clearing the table, and that made me feel uncomfortable, as if I should help also. So I ended up helping with clean-up on my own vacation! Second, and most important, I could not relax here. There is no "Do Not Disturb" sign to put on the door, so when I was trying to take a short nap one afternoon, some people came in to do some cleaning. I told them I was relaxing so they left. The innkeeper then came into my room, and demanded that these people wash the windows because they had not been done in 12 years! It was also the end of August, which is hot in Newport, and my husband and I left the air conditioning unit on very low when we left to go tour the mansions. When we got back to "relax" in the afternoon, the A/C unit had been turned off, and our room was disgustingly hot. Not very accommodating of a place that advertises and tells you that you have your own A/C control in your room. I will never ever go to another bed and breakfast again because of this place. Felt no privacy, and it was a rip-off. Would have done better monetarily had we gone to a chain hotel and purchasd mansion tickets on our own.

5 Thank MomOf2Brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2004

I have read the reviews, both good and bad. I am the type of person who likes to make up my own mind. We just spent the last two days at Marshall Slocum House. We noticed B&B's all over Newport. If you are looking for a quiet, cozy place to stay, I would recommend this one. I requested a lowfat diet for breakfast. Not only was I accomodated, but the alternatives were just as delicious as the regular counterparts. I didn't care what anyone was wearing, I wanted a nice atmosphere with not so snooty innkeepers. They even offered to tape the Jets-Patriots game for us while we explored Newport. For the price, this is the place to stay.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member