“A quiet sanctuary in Newport”

Marshall Slocum Inn
Ranked #7 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife, several friends and I stayed at Marshall Slocum for 3 nights while in town for the Newport Folk Festival. The B&B was a little further away from Thames St than we wanted to be, but given our party of 6, it was one of the few lodging options around that could accommodate a party of our size. Despite being slightly off the beaten path, this turned out not to be an issue. The B&B was situated on a nice quiet street.

The rooms are great - well furnished, clean, cozy and comfortable. The communal/living room/dining room area was very pleasant and featured a seating area, TV, coffee/tea, menus for local restaurants and a lot of other reading material.

One of the highlights of our stay was enjoying breakfast out on the backyard patio each morning. The food is EXCELLENT (B&B owner, Mark, is a great cook.) The staff was also quite friendly and Mark offered up a number of restaurant suggestions in the area.

If you're looking for a B&B that is within a 5-10 minute walk from Thames Street and prefer quieter surroundings, give Marshall Slocum a consideration!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
jwilsonri, Owner at Marshall Slocum Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

It was a pleasure having you and your friends at the Inn for the Folk Festival. We hope to see you next year for another great weekend of music.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

An adorable B&B on arrival located on a quiet street in Newport. The first thing i bitterly noticed was that is is not accessible at all, i struggled to get my luggage up the porch steps and broke the wheel on my case in the process. I was then told i was staying upstairs and there was no lift or alternative so i had to lug my cases up several flights of stairs. When i got to my room it was so small my cases barely fit in it to unpack.

The room was clean on arrival but there was no entertainment system. Each room had an ipad which was cute however i was traveling with a laptop so it was not an advantage to me. This did mean my room was not very relaxing, it was cramped with no entertainment systems and after several days stay the bathroom bin had not been emptied since the day I arrived.

The breakfasts were great and made to order as were the kitchen treats left daily for guests. The good food however does not justify the price of this B&B as the room was small and you can easily put your back out carrying heavier luggage up the cute stairs.

The kitchen and patio area was lovely and was quite cozy and quaint. There was very little information provided unless you had a vehicle. There were bicycles at the Inn but guests had to pay to use them which i found astonishing as cheaper inns i have stayed in previously provide bikes at no price to guests.

If money is no issue i can see the appeal of the inn for a mini getaway with small suitcases however if you are looking for practical and relaxing this is not the place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your review. It is always our pleasure to assist guests with their luggage and we are readily available to do this if needed. The Inn was built in 1855 and thus, does not have an elevator or a handicap accessible ramp. Unfortunately, due to historical zoning regulations we will never have either.
We offer a daily housekeeping service that includes changing of linens, refreshment of our gilchrist and soames bath amenities and removal of trash.
Our concierge is available from 6:30am-8pm daily to offer advice on all of the activities, historic attractions and restaurants around town. It is our pleasure to plan your stay for you while in Newport.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here once and that was probably enough.

The accommodations are fine. They're nicely furnished and comfortable.

The location is good. You can easily walk down to the downtown and are just a short bike or car ride to pretty much anywhere else you want to go.

The grounds are great. After going out and doing something during the day, being able to come back and let the evening slip away with a glass of wine and company of others is a rare treat.

The price is more than fair. We looked at a number of B&Bs and chose the Marshall Slocum because it gave the best value for the price.

So why won't we go back? Because you just don't feel like guests. Part of running a B&B is having a little bit of gregariousness about you. Mark was accommodating but not particularly inviting. You never got that feeling of warmth that you often get staying at a place like this. And the breakfasts were a bit uninspired. It felt like someone doing the minimum to get something out the door and not someone trying to impress. All in all, it just felt underwhelming.

I wish we could give a good review of this place, I really do. What they had to offer at the price they did makes for a very reasonable stay. But at the end of the week, I was left with a taste in my mouth that I don't really want to go back for and can't really recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rhymeswith0range

Myself and my staff's main and most important goal is guest satisfaction and we strive everyday to ensure that our guests are enjoying their stay in Newport. If we are aware that a guest is not satisfied our employee's are trained to go above and beyond to find a solution.
In regards to our breakfasts we view breakfast as one of the most important aspects of our guests stay. An inclusive breakfast is what differentiates ourselves from a standard hotel. We offer such items as eggs benedict, blueberry pancakes and gluten free pancakes. As always, we are happy to accommodate any special needs for breakfast.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I met our son and daughter-in-law in Newport for a weekend vacation. My daughter-in-law had booked us at the Marshall Slocum Inn on Kay Street. In the past, we have enjoyed staying at B&B’s because they provide the cozy atmosphere and provide you with a more intimate experience with the locals. Marshall Slocum Inn was an attractive and well-maintained Inn. However, when we arrived around 4:00 p.m., the main floor was hot and humid and uncomfortable. There was no AC and the long hot days had left the house very uncomfortable. There was very little space to sit and visit with your company. Basically, there was only a bench that could seat two people. What would have happened if all the guests wanted to sit on the first floor? The deck was lovely, but under the extreme heat conditions, it was not pleasant to sit outside. When we returned from our day’s activities around 9:30 p.m., there was no place for the four of us to sit and visit. The entire sitting area was hot and humid. No AC and not even fans. So, we need to go up to our bedrooms and socialize. The bedrooms were nicely decorated and barely comfortable with a window AC. I normally enjoy B & B breakfasts because they usually include generous portions of a variety of foods including homemade jams, granola, breads, etc. Here, you are asked to choose one entrée from a selection of 4, one of which is a fruit plate. For the price we paid, the breakfast was inadequate. I was disappointed that neither the granola, nor the jam were homemade or of finer quality. The jam provided was the same small packets I would get at a chain restaurant. I think that a B&B in this price range should provide a more comfortable sitting area in the main house and a more ample breakfast with more homemade items.

Room Tip: Don't take room 4. Bathroom very small.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ara J

We do not have central air conditioning nor do we need central air conditioning in Newport. This particular guest stayed during this summer's heat wave but in Newport the maximum temperature was 88 degrees. At night, the temperature dropped to 74 degrees and many guests relaxed on our large back deck in the shade and on the front porch.
Please refer to our other reviews regarding our quality of breakfasts.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and I just spent 3 days at the Inn and had a real nice experience. As mentioned by others, it's main selling points were the proximity to Thames Street and all the attractions as well as the delicious breakfasts cooked up by Mark and served on a very nice back patio.
We mostly drove everywhere due to the 90+ heat, but found that every place was within a 5 - 10 minute drive of the Inn.
Both Mark and Lauren were very friendly, accommodating and helpful to us first-time visitors.
Another plus was the parking behind the Inn. A minor drawback was that there was no TV in the room although having the complimentary iPod helped. The common room TV was in a non-airconditioned area of the Inn.
We would consider staying here again.

Steve,

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you another time.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My fiance and I had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Captain's Quarters, the room was large and we even had an extra little room to store our luggage. The room was clean and we loved the Ipad that was provided to watch movies. I had chocolates delivered from Laurent Vals (delicious) to surprise my fiance upon our arrival and they were waiting in our room. Had the weather been nicer we likely would have enjoyed a glass of wine on the deck. The breakfast was great. There were several items to choose from. I had requested an egg white omelet and Mark was very accomodating. Marshal S. is a short walk from downtown and best of all the parking is free.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. We enjoyed having you at the Inn for your birthday celebration.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed there july 4th for 2 nights, it was a short walk into town and away from all the crowds. We had a nice room with a very comfy king size bed, bathroom was a bit small but it was adequate. Breakfast was great a lot of choices, which is not always the case staying at a B and B. The host was so nice and gave us great recommendations for restaurants, will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your five star review. See you next year!!