“Just lovely”

Ranked #8 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reading
“Just lovely”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had a wonderful two nights here and were made most welcome, with tips ad ideas and the most yummy breakfasts. Great location to visit the mansions, walk or take the trolley to save energy for the houses! Somewhere we would definitely go back to if we visit Rhode Island again!

2 Thank Marielle12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had read a few reviews online and read about the room 6. Panic set in when we were shown to this room! But I need not have worried, it was just perfect. Possibly small by American traveller standards but as a European this was more than fine and the room has a large bathroom which helps give the feel of more space.

The bed linens were lovely and luxurious, and with the room being at the top of the house, was very cute and snug. We had to leave early to travel on after just one night so we didn't get to have a breakfast or meet the owner in pereon. My only reservation was the bed, although comfty, as it was a little squeaky so any turn or move made a noise. Would be fab if this could be looked at as the only small annoyance in an otherwise lovely stay.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank miniffer
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Comfortable rooms, great breakfast and good location to walk downtown. Very relaxing place at a reasonable price. Mark is a great chef and very knowledgable about the area. The breakfast experience here, mingling with others from around the world is fabulous. Oh and Newport is a town you need more than just a few days to see.

• Stayed September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here for one night and wish we had booked another night or two. From the moment we arrived, we felt comfortable and welcome. The owners are very relaxed, allowing their guests to feel like their home was our home. There was a nice sitting area inside full of books about the area. Outside, you could sit on a patio and enjoy a hot or cold beverage. Our large room was in a converted garage in the back of the property, which was very private. The king-size bed was SO comfy and the linens were top-notch. The bathroom was large and all the amenities were provided. The Inn is located in a charming neighbourhood full of stately old homes, and is an easy 10-minute walk to the marina where there are ample restaurants to choose from. We had a great sleep (super quiet) and breakfast was a choice of French toast, an omelette or yogurt parfait and coffee cake - made fresh for each guest. We were surprised at how many guests showed up for breakfast - you'd never know there were that many guests in the house! All were super friendly, and the conversations with the other guests added to our positive experience.

On another note, Newport was amazing. There's a 3.5 km cliff walk which is easy and level and enables one to see the front yards of the mansions lining the sea. You can purchase tickets to view the inside of the mansions with a self-guided audio-tour. We parked our car at one end, did the cliff walk to the other end, and took the bus back to our car. Easy peasy. All of us wished we had another night in Newport - such a lovely place, and such great accommodation. Highly recommend it!

1 Thank Linda L
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Marshall Slocum Inn is very charming! The location was perfect! Walking distance to practically everywhere! It was in a quiet neighborhood with beautiful other Inns and homes in the area; a very safe walk during the nights. We were very impressed with the gourmet breakfast menu that changed daily. I wouldn't say the same for the coffee. Mark was very hospitable and quite helpful with suggestions in the area.

We stayed in the snuggery and although it's the smallest room, we were pleasantly surprised with the size of it. The bathroom is upstairs and you have a spiral staircase, so I don't recommend anyone with any physical challenges to get this room. Overall, it was good however the bed felt like it was sinking in the middle. Unfortunately, that was the only bad experience we had. Aside from that, I would say the Inn was awesome!

We ate at some of the best restaurants during our 10 day east coast trip. Restaurant Bouchard is highly recommended. Make sure to order the Soufle! We also found a quaint place called Rosemary & Thyme that served a variety of panini's/sandwiches. OMG! If you want something different, try this place. We ate at the Brick Alley Pub in town our first night and was also a good place that had everything on the menu.

Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed September 18, 2012

So in attempt to give my parents an anniversary gift, I contacted this bed and breakfast to reserve a two night getaway for my parents. I wanted to give my parents a voucher in a their anniversary card. The lady who I spoke to offered to overnight the voucher to us and she also offered to "WAVE THE FEE" of the overnight charges. I thought it was a nice gesture and I said thank you. On her way to the post office to send me the voucher she found out that the price for shipping was higher than she assumed. She then decided to call me up and tell me the price was more than I thought it was and wanted to charge me for the shipping. I told her, well maam you offered to wave the fee. She responded saying, "Yeah but I didn't know how much it would cost." I then said to her, "Well you shouldn't have offered if you didn't know." She said, You're right. Listen we're not the Marriot, we're a small bed and breakfast, if you wanna take advantage of us you can. I thought you were a nice guy but you're not." After, being insulted I then proceeded to ask her to cancel the reservation. I then called back to ensure I would get my money refunded. I spoke to the owner and he told me, "It was a mistake on her part and all you [--] people in New Jersey don't have class." I was never treated with such disrespect.

3 Thank Steven S
jwilsonri, Owner at Marshall Slocum Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
This particular incident did not occur with our Inn and we are unsure as to why this is being posted on our page. The reviewer did not refer to any of our staff by name nor do we mail gift certificates. All gift certificates are emailed to purchasers. We can assure all readers of this post that we provide 5 star customer service to all of our potential guests and in house guests. Please refer to our other reviews. Thank you.
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at several B&Bs in New England. This wasn't "over the top" but it was fine for the price. Breakfast was good, and close proximity to everything. Mark gave suggestions on things to do, places to eat, etc.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your review. Newport was recently ranked one of the top most expensive hotel cities in the United States. We pride ourselves in providing a great product at a fair and affordable price. View our specials for many of our great deals.