“No complaints whatsoever” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“No complaints whatsoever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here for one night and wish we had booked another night or two. From the moment we arrived, we felt comfortable and welcome. The owners are very relaxed, allowing their guests to feel like their home was our home. There was a nice sitting area inside full of books about the area. Outside, you could sit on a patio and enjoy a hot or cold beverage. Our large room was in a converted garage in the back of the property, which was very private. The king-size bed was SO comfy and the linens were top-notch. The bathroom was large and all the amenities were provided. The Inn is located in a charming neighbourhood full of stately old homes, and is an easy 10-minute walk to the marina where there are ample restaurants to choose from. We had a great sleep (super quiet) and breakfast was a choice of French toast, an omelette or yogurt parfait and coffee cake - made fresh for each guest. We were surprised at how many guests showed up for breakfast - you'd never know there were that many guests in the house! All were super friendly, and the conversations with the other guests added to our positive experience.

On another note, Newport was amazing. There's a 3.5 km cliff walk which is easy and level and enables one to see the front yards of the mansions lining the sea. You can purchase tickets to view the inside of the mansions with a self-guided audio-tour. We parked our car at one end, did the cliff walk to the other end, and took the bus back to our car. Easy peasy. All of us wished we had another night in Newport - such a lovely place, and such great accommodation. Highly recommend it!

1 Thank Linda L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Marshall Slocum Inn is very charming! The location was perfect! Walking distance to practically everywhere! It was in a quiet neighborhood with beautiful other Inns and homes in the area; a very safe walk during the nights. We were very impressed with the gourmet breakfast menu that changed daily. I wouldn't say the same for the coffee. Mark was very hospitable and quite helpful with suggestions in the area.

We stayed in the snuggery and although it's the smallest room, we were pleasantly surprised with the size of it. The bathroom is upstairs and you have a spiral staircase, so I don't recommend anyone with any physical challenges to get this room. Overall, it was good however the bed felt like it was sinking in the middle. Unfortunately, that was the only bad experience we had. Aside from that, I would say the Inn was awesome!

We ate at some of the best restaurants during our 10 day east coast trip. Restaurant Bouchard is highly recommended. Make sure to order the Soufle! We also found a quaint place called Rosemary & Thyme that served a variety of panini's/sandwiches. OMG! If you want something different, try this place. We ate at the Brick Alley Pub in town our first night and was also a good place that had everything on the menu.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

So in attempt to give my parents an anniversary gift, I contacted this bed and breakfast to reserve a two night getaway for my parents. I wanted to give my parents a voucher in a their anniversary card. The lady who I spoke to offered to overnight the voucher to us and she also offered to "WAVE THE FEE" of the overnight charges. I thought it was a nice gesture and I said thank you. On her way to the post office to send me the voucher she found out that the price for shipping was higher than she assumed. She then decided to call me up and tell me the price was more than I thought it was and wanted to charge me for the shipping. I told her, well maam you offered to wave the fee. She responded saying, "Yeah but I didn't know how much it would cost." I then said to her, "Well you shouldn't have offered if you didn't know." She said, You're right. Listen we're not the Marriot, we're a small bed and breakfast, if you wanna take advantage of us you can. I thought you were a nice guy but you're not." After, being insulted I then proceeded to ask her to cancel the reservation. I then called back to ensure I would get my money refunded. I spoke to the owner and he told me, "It was a mistake on her part and all you [--] people in New Jersey don't have class." I was never treated with such disrespect.

3 Thank SSOLIMAN
jwilsonri, Owner at Marshall Slocum Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
This particular incident did not occur with our Inn and we are unsure as to why this is being posted on our page. The reviewer did not refer to any of our staff by name nor do we mail gift certificates. All gift certificates are emailed to purchasers. We can assure all readers of this post that we provide 5 star customer service to all of our potential guests and in house guests. Please refer to our other reviews. Thank you.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at several B&Bs in New England. This wasn't "over the top" but it was fine for the price. Breakfast was good, and close proximity to everything. Mark gave suggestions on things to do, places to eat, etc.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. Newport was recently ranked one of the top most expensive hotel cities in the United States. We pride ourselves in providing a great product at a fair and affordable price. View our specials for many of our great deals.
Yorktown Heights, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I just got back from our first trip to Newport and our first time staying at a Bed & Breakfast. We weren't sure what to expect from either but we were blown away by the town AND the B&B. First off the overall inn was large, beautiful and charming. Our room (The Rose Room) was comfortable and super clean. The inn supplies off street parking, free wifi and you truly feel like you are away when sitting on the back porch eating breakfast in the morning. As for breakfast it was great, the owner (Chef Mark) makes a mean omelet and amazing french toast. The staff was friendly and accommodating and helped us out with great recommendations. We can't wait to go back!

2 Thank Adam R
Thank you for your kind words Adam. I enjoyed spending time with you and your wife and look forward to seeing you again.
huizen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Marshall Slocum Guest House is one of the best in New Port, 5 minutes walk to the harbor. Mark the owner is very helpful and kind and prepares a wonderful breakfast. The house is very tasteful decorated. We stayed with our family and I absolutely recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank frederique g
jwilsonri, Owner at Marshall Slocum Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your kind review and feedback. We enjoyed having you at the Inn.
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in early August and loved it so much we are returning in October! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Mark, the innkeeper, was a wonderful host. His breakfasts were just delicious, even the presentation was great. He took the time to say hello each morning at breakfast to see how we were doing. We felt welcomed and comfortable and we really appreciated the consideration and class with which this B&B is run. The Snuggery and Cottage were fabulous uses of space. Everything was immaculately clean, the beds (and rooms in general) were incredibly comfortable. We could not have been more pleased with our choice. The Marshall Slocum definitely lives up to its positive reviews (which is what lead us to choose it for our August trip). We were hoping for a quiet location just a little off the beaten path to avoid the late night hustle and bustle and this was perfect. A close walk to the main drag but far enough away that it's quiet, and no street noise that we heard (and I am a very light sleeper!). Can't wait for October!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joanna Q
Thank you for staying with us, we enjoyed having you stay with us and look forward to seeing you next year.