“Worste Customer Service Ever”

Marshall Slocum Inn
Ranked #9 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
“Worste Customer Service Ever”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

So in attempt to give my parents an anniversary gift, I contacted this bed and breakfast to reserve a two night getaway for my parents. I wanted to give my parents a voucher in a their anniversary card. The lady who I spoke to offered to overnight the voucher to us and she also offered to "WAVE THE FEE" of the overnight charges. I thought it was a nice gesture and I said thank you. On her way to the post office to send me the voucher she found out that the price for shipping was higher than she assumed. She then decided to call me up and tell me the price was more than I thought it was and wanted to charge me for the shipping. I told her, well maam you offered to wave the fee. She responded saying, "Yeah but I didn't know how much it would cost." I then said to her, "Well you shouldn't have offered if you didn't know." She said, You're right. Listen we're not the Marriot, we're a small bed and breakfast, if you wanna take advantage of us you can. I thought you were a nice guy but you're not." After, being insulted I then proceeded to ask her to cancel the reservation. I then called back to ensure I would get my money refunded. I spoke to the owner and he told me, "It was a mistake on her part and all you [--] people in New Jersey don't have class." I was never treated with such disrespect.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SSOLIMAN
jwilsonri, Owner at Marshall Slocum Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
This particular incident did not occur with our Inn and we are unsure as to why this is being posted on our page. The reviewer did not refer to any of our staff by name nor do we mail gift certificates. All gift certificates are emailed to purchasers. We can assure all readers of this post that we provide 5 star customer service to all of our potential guests and in house guests. Please refer to our other reviews. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at several B&Bs in New England. This wasn't "over the top" but it was fine for the price. Breakfast was good, and close proximity to everything. Mark gave suggestions on things to do, places to eat, etc.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your review. Newport was recently ranked one of the top most expensive hotel cities in the United States. We pride ourselves in providing a great product at a fair and affordable price. View our specials for many of our great deals.
Yorktown Heights, New York, United States
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I just got back from our first trip to Newport and our first time staying at a Bed & Breakfast. We weren't sure what to expect from either but we were blown away by the town AND the B&B. First off the overall inn was large, beautiful and charming. Our room (The Rose Room) was comfortable and super clean. The inn supplies off street parking, free wifi and you truly feel like you are away when sitting on the back porch eating breakfast in the morning. As for breakfast it was great, the owner (Chef Mark) makes a mean omelet and amazing french toast. The staff was friendly and accommodating and helped us out with great recommendations. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adam R
Thank you for your kind words Adam. I enjoyed spending time with you and your wife and look forward to seeing you again.
huizen
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Marshall Slocum Guest House is one of the best in New Port, 5 minutes walk to the harbor. Mark the owner is very helpful and kind and prepares a wonderful breakfast. The house is very tasteful decorated. We stayed with our family and I absolutely recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank frederique g
jwilsonri, Owner at Marshall Slocum Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your kind review and feedback. We enjoyed having you at the Inn.
New Jersey
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in early August and loved it so much we are returning in October! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Mark, the innkeeper, was a wonderful host. His breakfasts were just delicious, even the presentation was great. He took the time to say hello each morning at breakfast to see how we were doing. We felt welcomed and comfortable and we really appreciated the consideration and class with which this B&B is run. The Snuggery and Cottage were fabulous uses of space. Everything was immaculately clean, the beds (and rooms in general) were incredibly comfortable. We could not have been more pleased with our choice. The Marshall Slocum definitely lives up to its positive reviews (which is what lead us to choose it for our August trip). We were hoping for a quiet location just a little off the beaten path to avoid the late night hustle and bustle and this was perfect. A close walk to the main drag but far enough away that it's quiet, and no street noise that we heard (and I am a very light sleeper!). Can't wait for October!

1 Thank Joanna Q
Thank you for staying with us, we enjoyed having you stay with us and look forward to seeing you next year.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The Marshall Slocum was in a great location and overall was a good b and b. We however, got the last room (the Post Card Room) during a busy time in Newport and found it to be overpriced. The Inn is in a great location, the staff is nice as can be and the other rooms that I saw as the maid tidied up, were very nice and much larger than ours. I would recommend the hotel, just not that particular room (for the price).

Room Tip: Don't book the Post Card room. It's much smaller than the others.
1 Thank margo b
jwilsonri, Owner at Marshall Slocum Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
The Postcard Room is one of our smaller rooms, thus the name, and is priced accordingly. The bedroom measures approximately 400 square feet and the bathroom has a four foot walk in shower which is standard for showers. Rates for the Postcard Room range from $125-$255 per evening and include a full breakfast and onsite parking. This particular guest paid $195 for a stay around the Labor Day weekend. Visit our website for a full photo montage of the Postcard Room as well as our other rooms.
England
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The Marshall Slocum was perfect for our trip to Newport - its ideally situated for walking into town but is quiet and peaceful. Our room was large, very clean and comfortable. Service was excellent; free iced water, tea and coffee are provided, and the porch and deck areas are great for sitting and relaxing. Breakfast was very good too.