Murray House Bed & Breakfast
$419
Hotel Viking(Newport)
$271
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of $371/night.

$479
$775
$720
Hotels.com
$945
All reviewsgarden roomkoi pondwater view suitemini suitecliff walkprivate patiopool hot tubshih tzumy husband and inice poolmy home away from homegreat vacationfolk festelectric fireplaceromantic roommansion rowquiche
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Our small family - my husband, myself, and our 12 year old daughter, just returned from a trip to Rhode Island and a few nights at the Murray House Bed & Breakfast. To put it in my daughter's words "IT WAS AWESOME!"
This wonderful Inn, set far enough apart from the hustle and bustle of downtown Newport (although even that is just a quick five minute drive!) and within a quick walking distance to the beach and the end of the Cliff Walk, is as uniquely special a place as you will find anywhere.
Our room had its own outside entrance that led out to our wonderful little private patio area -- and a quick jump into the heated pool! The pool is surrounded by beautifully maintained gardens, potted plants, topiaries, cushy chase lounges, more plants, a charming Koi pond with a waterfall, a hot tub, and a resident and quite friendly big old cat named Jamie.
It is as though once you pass through the wooden gate bearing the plaque "Welcome" - you step into another world where peace and relaxation abound! Our room was delightful - clean, roomy and inviting. The Innkeeper, Noreen, was most gracious and accommodating, and full of information regarding Newport and what to see and where to dine. (At this point I feel compelled to mention her recommendation of Tucker's on Broadway - a French Bistro style establishment where Tucker himself greets you and the food is to die for!) Although Noreen was always there if we needed her, the really nice thing was that she mostly stayed behind the scenes and let us enjoy our time together.
A little vase of fresh (from the garden) flowers awaited us in our room with a note from Noreen that said "Welcome. Enjoy." I can't say enough about the Murray House. It is truly a little gem that one feels lucky to have discovered. We plan to try to carve some time out this winter to take advantage of Noreen's reduced rates and go back to Newport and its mansions all full of Christmas! It is truly hard to describe the ambience at the Murray House -- but try it and you will understand...
Thanks Noreen! We'll see you soon - perhaps under some snowflakes...
The Stewart Family, Trumbull, CT.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We loved this bed and breakfast. It is a B&B in the true sense of the word. The proprietor, Noreen, attends to every detail. Our room was well-appointed, and immaculate. The breakfasts each morning were beautifully and deliciously prepared, even with such touches as flowers especially picked from the gardens. Each meal was homemade and served on lovely china with cloth napkins. There was great variety, from eggs, to quiche, to French toast, with fruits and homemade breads and pastries.

The location was safe and quiet, near all the mansions and very close to Cliff Walk and to Bailey's Beach. The premises are extremely well-kept and include a swimming pool and fish pond stocked with koi.

Noreen is one of the very few proprietors in Newport who allows well-behaved pets. She treats these pets as if they were her own, with wonderful goody bags consisting of toys and all-natural treats, to even an occasional walk for a dog who feels a little lonely!

We had a very positive experience and the next time we're in Newport, the two of us, along with our well-behaved dog, will be sure to book at 1 Murray House Bed and Breakfast.
Marcie

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2008

What a piece of luck finding Murray House! This wasn't an ordinary get away for us, it was our 25th anniversary. I wanted to surprise my wife and not tell her where we were headed, but take her somewhere new and different. I found Murray House online, but it was a bed and breakfast. We had always shyed away from B&B's because we like a little privacy and the idea of sharing a house and a meal with strangers isn't our cup of tea. We're avid pet lovers and gardeners also which always makes it hard to leave home.
Well reading that Murray house has private entrances and your breakfast is delivered to your room sounded too good to be true and I just knew my wife would go for that. I called Noreen the innkeeper and she had a room available called the garden room. Sounded like a good start, so she sent me a wealth of information via email and I really thought I was on to something. So I booked the room and crossed my fingers it would work out for our big anniversary.
We arrived to a nice casual check in, basically head to your room and make yourself at home. Instantly a relaxed feeling set in. Perfect! A very private entrance with our own garden patio. A great room with a nice kitchenette. Not super fancy, just a nice safari decor that screamed "Homey", but not home. My wife was so happy! We both loved it and I was so relieved my blind pick was just right.
We stayed a few days and it just continued to get better. The location was perfect, Other guests with dogs thrilled us, so many beautiful flowers and gardens including an adorable coy pond. We toured the town half the time, but were more than happy to get back to Murray House and just RELAX on the deck around the pool or in our cozy room.
Noreen was there for anything you needed and invisible when you wanted to be left alone. We happened to love chatting with her and visiting with her cat Jamie. In the mornings there was a knock on the door and our breakfast tray was sitting there on our patio table as if by magic. And what a nice breakfast! She truly cares about her guests.
It's not your typical B&B and not for people looking for ultra elite Hilton type accomodations, but if you want to get away for a New England coastal home away from home for a few days and what I described sounds good, DON'T PASS IT UP. We just plain hated to leave.
Thanks so much, Noreen!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoadRiders
Reviewed July 1, 2008

As two native New Yorkers looking for a bit of peace & quiet, we were very pleased with the perfect location of Murray House -- just the right distance from the hustle & bustle of downtown Newport. We found the Pond View Suite to be cozy and charming, yet quite spacious. The weather outside was hot, yet somehow our suite stayed cool & comfortable -- we left the AC off the whole weekend! Our first morning, we got up early & took a cab to the beginning of the Cliff Walk, that way we would end up right by Murray House -- we were very happy we did it this way. Upon leaving after our two night getaway, we were daydreaming about extending our stay, just to have some more time to enjoy & appreciate the beautiful grounds, take a dip in the pool, & relax in the jacuzzi. Next time! ;)

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SpotConlon
Reviewed March 20, 2008

Should one ask why we keep returning to Murray House B&B, I hope they have a cup of coffee handy and no where to go.
We discovered Murray House through a web search. Affordable, nice location and doggie friendly. We loaded up the car and one very chilly December day ventured to Newport, to what was to become our Home away from Home.
Comfort, Cozy, Adorable kitchenette and room themes, Ocean breezes, Warmth,Convenient, Welcoming, Safe, A Summery Garden filled with delights for all the senses, a refreshing pool, a bubbly romantic jacuzzi tucked in a corner, a koi pond, benches and chairs. Off season a warm room, holiday touches, small "get in the mood" electric fireplace , reduced rates....privacy and respect.
As I read through the the guest book I learned if it wasn't there, and you needed it all you had to do was ask. The owner would step above and beyond to make sure your stay was as best as possible.
My family returns to Newport and Murray house several times throughout the year. When we settle into the room even our dog breathes out a small sigh of comfort.
We love to experience each season on that Island. The architecture, the beaches, the shops, mansions, walking through history, Holiday events, Summery Outings and hidden gems along the way.
But I must admit the most treasured gem is Murray House. And often we venture no farther than the beckoning patio behind the garden gate.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple