“Perfect for our needs”

1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We travel with our dog and appreciate the fact that this property is pet-friendly. Noreen, the owner, recommended the Garden Room which turned out to be a great location. It was more private with a garden area that could be gated in so that we did not need to leash our dog at all times. The room was a little small, but we found it to be clean and well maintained and the kitchenette was well supplied. The breakfast was delivered to our door and was delicious and well presented. The yard was very well landscaped and the pool area was a great place to relax. The Murray House is well located, being away from the downtown area, but close to the mansions and Cliff Walk.

Room Tip: The Garden Room is perfect when travelling with a pet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffrey B
There are newer reviews for 1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Went here with a friend for a 4 day weekend with our two little dogs. Had the waterview suite and it was perfect for what we wanted. A quiet relaxing weekend with our dogs. Park and beach are a five minute walk which we took daily with the pups and wrapped around to "mansion row" which is a 2 minute walk away. Everything you need is a 5 minute drive, the town, the wharf area and excellent restaurants (dog friendly too!). Noreen was very helpful and greeted us when we arrived, we took advantage of the yard and pool which were great! Our room was not in the main house which worked out great as I have a very alpha toy poodle. Located in a very quiet area so it was extremely peaceful compared to the hustle and bustle of NYC that we are used to! Nice change of pace and would come back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tammy K
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the Murray House for three nights in mid-June, and Noreen was a wonderful host not only to us but our two cats that accompanied us. The location is quiet and a short walk away from Bellevue Street to the mansions with easy access to the Cliff Walk. She had a cancellation so she upgraded us to the Pool Room without additional charge to give the kitties (and us) a bit more room. Breakfast is wonderful and is delivered directly to your door. With a small refrigerator and coffee maker in the room, it was the ideal way to start the day. It was still too early to use the pool, but it looked inviting with ample deck space. The koi pond is tranquil and the entire setting at Murray House makes for a perfect holiday.

Room Tip: The bathroom in the Pool Room is up a couple of steps, so be sure you handle this in the middle of t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dlhdjb
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Murray House in Newport RI. It is a very quaint & quiet B & B. It is a little off the beaten path which makes it a perfect place to stay. Its only a short car ride to the Mansions and to downtown Newport. We stayed in the Pond view room which overlooks Almy Pond. I enjoyed my coffee while taking in the view. It was very relaxing. A hot, delicious breakfast was served to our room each morning. My husband loved it & I loved not having to clean up! Noreen was a wonderful hostess & made our stay in Newport a memorable one. Thank you Noreen! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danielle V
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I visited this location in late October 2012 with a friend. The rooms were fine and based on the price I wasn't expecting a glorious facility. However getting a hold of the owner was not easy. We arrived late and the place where the keys were stored weren't easy to find. My friend came back to her room to find the door wide open to air it out with her stuff inside. Booking the place was a pain because there wasn't someone on the phone during the daytime so most of it was done via email. I was staying in the Water View Suite across the street with the spiral staircase (which I was properly warned about before the visit). When I went to open the door around 10 pm the patio door wouldn't unlock. I tried calling the owner repeatedly and couldn't get an answer. If I hadn't managed to find a way to get the door unlocked after many many tried I would have been locked out for the night. Thankfully my fried was there and I could had stayed with her but if I was alone I would have had to sleep in my car. There needs to be an emergency number. Around 9 or 10 the next morning I finally got a call and Noreen laughed at my story and said someone was coming to fix it. Ummmm I don't know about you but that isn't funny to me. Apparently I was supposed to read something telling me this was an issue. The very nice repair main said that it has been an issue for a few weeks and he's crawled up the fire escape to break in. Seriously just fix the damn lock which probably cost $20. We also couldn't reach the owner to pay so we were told to leave our checks on in the room which worried us. We weren't there during prime season but the service still should have been better.

The rooms were nice and the facility was clean and well kept. The location isn't in the heart of town which makes for a cheaper vacation which is nice. Driving around wasn't too much of an issue because we frequently parked at the public lot during the day.

Noreen did provide a great set of instructions, restaurants and attractions to me via email prior to the visit which was helpful.

Room Tip: The Water View Suite with the spiral staircase is clean but a little more difficult to get up. It ha...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just returned from our annual Newport Half Marathon weekend. I run quite a few races during the year but this is the one I look forward to the most primarily because Newport is such a beautiful place to be. Since we bring our little Pomeranian everywhere, we require dog friendly accommodations. Last year, we discovered the Murray House and this is now our place to stay! The location is great and Noreen is a pleasure. The property is off Bellevue Ave, in walking distance to the Cliff Walk (the end part of it) and a small beach area. We stay in the same room (“The Garden Room”) which is very private and has a really neat “safari”motif (right up my alley!). The room has a small kitchen area which is perfect for tea/coffee and even has a stovetop. There is also a dining table set up for 2. What we really appreciate is the fenced in yard with such tranquil grounds- including a koi fish pond and various sitting areas. In addition, there is a a nice pool - although we have never taken advantage of it since we are there in October. Jazmine loves the yard and is enamored by the koi fish which are larger than she is! In the morning, I would walk her down to the beach at the end of Coggeshall Ave and then jump onto the Cliff Walk. I prefer this section of the CW versus the beginning point off Memorial Blvd- it is A LOT less crowded and the trail is (slightly) more rugged….ideal to tire a dog out! Great photo op from this vantage point too. Definitely check it out. The Murray House provides a very pleasant home base for us while in Newport. It is so charming and Noreen makes everyone feel welcome. First timers- Noreen will send you all sorts of good info on Newport: places to go, things to do, where to eat, dog info including dog parks (if applicable), etc. She is really a great hostess. These are just a few of the reasons we return to the Murray House. Honestly, I would rather stay here than the larger hotels on Thames. It all depends what you are looking for. For us, it is the Murray House. See you next year Noreen!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelgal214
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Noreen is a wonderful host and the location is fantastic if you are looking to relax, walk to the beach and feel like you are away from all the chaos. Being two minutes from everything yet not having to deal with Newport parking and traffic was a real treat. We were there late in the season (it was cooler and rainy) and would love to have seen and experience Noreen's garden and pool in the summer sun. That said, the Pond View Suite was warm cozy and everything could have asked for.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple