“Wonderful Find”

1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Noreen is a wonderful host and the location is fantastic if you are looking to relax, walk to the beach and feel like you are away from all the chaos. Being two minutes from everything yet not having to deal with Newport parking and traffic was a real treat. We were there late in the season (it was cooler and rainy) and would love to have seen and experience Noreen's garden and pool in the summer sun. That said, the Pond View Suite was warm cozy and everything could have asked for.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tandloutandabout
There are newer reviews for 1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Almost missed this gem. Waited a day and a half to hear from the Innkeeper, Noreen, who apologized when she called and said she was recovering from recent surgery. Because of this, Noreen could not cook breakfast for us and promptly offered a nightly discount on the Garden Room...Suite! (Pun intended).
Must agree with all positive reviewers in saying how clean, how friendly, how helpful etc, etc. What I can add is that you must believe it is all true. I have left hotels and B&B's not up to what they claim. My kids never unpacked until I finished looking over a room first. I am not a pet owner nor would I usually stay in a pet friendly establishment. I never sensed that pets had stayed before me. Trust me on this, I would have known. Dogs are not allowed in the pool. I asked.
You will need nothing. Noreen thinks of it before you do. This is a quiet and restful place with immaculate gardens and waterfalls tended daily by the ever present and oh so helpful Barry. Easy to access major things you'll want to do like mansions, beach, Cliff Walk.
Look no further when you've found the treasure called Murray House.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carolantom
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The best about Murray House was that my kitty loved it. I never see him so happy and loveble. Noreen took good care of him when she went to our room. Unfortunaly we didn't have a chance to meet her personaly. The room was very nice, clean and confortable. The only thing I didn't like much was the TV. It's too small and my husband and I like to watch our favor shows before we fall sleep. And Barry was very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Better in the Spring or Summer, so you can appreciate the garden and pool.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cuddyem
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Murray House twice now. Each time we brought along our dogs; a maltese and bichon. Both times we had an amazing experience. We recently stayed here over New Years, and when we arrived, Noreen (the owner) had left two small gift bags for our pups containing treats and a couple toys. She also left us a small tray of cheese and crackers. After a long drive, it was such a warm welcome.

The rooms are clean, service is great, and the grounds are beautiful. It's a quick drive to downtown, but also off the beaten path so the area is quiet. It's a short walk to Bellevue Ave, so it was nice taking our dogs for long walks. As a pet owner, it's difficult to find a nice, clean, and accomdating place to stay with animals. It's so nice to know that the Murray House doesn't have a million rules and regulations. They make our pets feel as welcome as we do, which is rare!!!

Prior to our arrival, Noreen sent several emails with things to do in the area, directions, and other misc. things we needed to know. I've never stayed anywhere else where we felt more welcome and appreciated.

Newport is such a dog friendly place, especially when the weather turns warm. We will be back in the spring with our fur babies and stay at the Murray House again for sure!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kelly A
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Once again Murray House was the perfect place for us to stay! We had a wonderful New Years Eve here AGAIN! Noreen is so sweet and so accomodating, I was shocked to see a bad review about her or the house. The view from the shedding pot is amazing. Noreen treats me and my boyfriend like old friends not to mention she is so sweet to our little chihuahua Millie. She even left her a wonderful little doggie care package! We love Murray House and Noreen and can't wait to come back in the Summer!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This bed and breakfast allows dogs, which is a great plus for us dog owners. The owner/operator was very accommodating and sent several emails prior to our arrival with instructions and recommendations. It is walking distance (1/2 mile) to the southern starting point of the Cliff walk. It's a similar distance to several of the mansions as well. It's only a mile from downtown Newport. The only negative is that we found ourselves constantly driving to the downtown area and trying to find parking, which is expensive and hard to find. Staying right in downtown would have been more convenient.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jbafa02
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I have been to Newport many times and stayed at various places over the years. This year, we brought along Jazmine, our Pomeranian. I searched on PetFriendly.com for dog friendly establishments and came across the Murray House. We absolutely loved it and will certainly be back for another visit.

I first contacted Noreen about availability and to verify we could bring along Jazmine. She very quickly responded to all my emails and also sent information on dog friendly places, dog parks and other "dog tips/rules/regs". She also included the area's restaurants, thing to do, places to see, etc. You won't get these personal touches from the major "chain" hotels. At the Murray house, Noreen is easily accessible and she is your own private concierge! She is a great hostess!

After a last minute change in plans (which Noreen was very accommodating to), we arrived and checked into the Garden Room. This room has a safari/animal print theme that was really neat. We had a kitchenette with a stove, fridge and microwave which was great for us. This room was especially nice since it has a small backyard that is enclosed which was great for Jazmine. The location is very convenient and we loved the privacy. The grounds- which include a pool and koi fish pound were beautifully landscaped and very well kept.

We really appreciated everything Noreen did for us and for Jazmine- including a goody bag with treats which she quickly dug into! If you travel with your dog- definitely stay here. If you are not "dog people", stay here anyway. It is very clean and quaint- dog or not. Noreen makes you feel so comfortable and right at home. After whirl wind weekend, I left behind my favorite hair straightener (ladies- you can relate). I emailed Noreen and she was on it right away. She very kindly sent it out to me. These personal touches really make a difference and that is why we are planning on returning again. We were actually in town for the Newport Half Marathon so it was jam packed but we are returning next time for some R&R at the Murray House.... and Jazmine is looking forward to it : )

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple