“Clean, refreshed decor, top value”

Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Newport in high season is a collection of high-priced lodging. In contrast, The Mainstay Inn provides clean, motel-style accomodations at reasonable cost. Located a couple miles north of downtown, the Inn offers an $8 shuttle for guests who would rather skip the cost of public parking lots. We appreciated the cleanliness of our room, new carpet, and fine noise-masking air-conditioning.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 23, 2014

If you are looking for a high quality, clean, convenient hotel in Newport with a great adjoining restaurant at a very reasonable price, this is the hotel for you. The outdoor pool is refreshing and not crowded. The shuttle bus service makes parking a non-issue, as parking is expensive and not convenient in the crowded downtown area of Newport. The hotel rooms are attractively decorated and the service is superior. We would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I read some of the reviews and I did not have the same experience. We stayed in a king suite on the third floor. It was spacious and comfortable. The room was clean and while it is not that close to downtown, there is a shuttle so that you don't have to deal with the parking rates and traffic in town. Summer in Newport is expensive and crowded. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 16, 2014

My stay was much better than what I was expecting. The bed was very comfortable and my room was clean and quiet. Also, the front desk staff was friendly and accommodating, even when they were slammed at check in/check out. The property definitely needs to a makeover in terms of updating the bathroom, wallpaper, carpets, etc., but for a one night stay the Mainstay was an affordable and surprisingly pleasing alternative to more expensive options in the area. Also a quick cab ride from Thames St.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Recently went on a family and we stayed at this hotel from july 13-15, with three separate rooms.. and would NEVER do again nor would I recommend this hotel to anyone.a few Power outlets did not work in each of the rooms, one of the rooms were suppose to come with more appliances (fridge, microwave, coffee pot) they gave us a choice to have a fridge for 10 bucks a night. . (Come on, seriously?) .. The "Grand sweet" room was okay, but when it came to the fridge breaking down and not working and waiting for a cubed sized 1999 looking fridge to come up and for it not to work as well. And to call back down and get . It gets pretty annoying because nothing is prepared nor is anything "accommodating"... so.. a no go next time for me with this hotel..

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank _forjio
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I had the worst hotel experience of my life here - - and I have stayed in cheap hotels and hostels in third world countries!

My boyfriend booked us the last room - smoking room - which is clearly not ideal, however, the problems did not end there. We walked into the hotel, passed the pool and went down a set of stairs and the smell of mold immediately hit me. We walked to our room - passed a huge commercial laundry facility which was noisy and in full production, passed the commercial utility room which smelled of oil when we entered our room through the flimsy door. The smell of smoke hit me immediately. The rooms lights did not stay on - they merely flickered. The smell was so bad I tried to open a window, but realized our window was only about 3' high and since we were in a basement, when I looked out I saw car license plates and tired. There were no screens so we could not get fresh air. The curtains were FULL of cigarette burns and the floors and walls had holes and stains everywhere. I went to brush my teeth and brown water was coming out of the faucets. The wireless did not work and neither did the outlets - so I could not charge my phone.

I spent the night coughing on the smoke smell and considered sleeping in my car in the parking lot since when we called to complain there were no other rooms available and no other rooms available in Newport at 11 pm on a summer friday.

I woke up early, did not shower because of the brown water and left - and my hair and clothes reeked of smoke the rest of the day.

This hotel nearly ruined my romantic weekend. I think its a crime that you charged us nearly $300 for a room of this quality.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Kristina H
Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel is not anything amazing but it is a place to sleep that will let you bring your pet along. The hotel has comfortable bed and it is clean. I would stay here again because I like being able to bring my dog, but it is def a party hotel and it can be really loud around 2/3am with drunks roaming the halls. If you are looking for a romantic stay I would suggest a bed and breakfast in the heart of Newport but if you are looking for just a place to sleep while exploring Newport this is it.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear barking from the rooms with dogs ask the front desk for a room away fr...