“Where is mangement when you need them???”

Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Albany, New York
“Where is mangement when you need them???”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Attended my father in laws 25th naval reunion,all was well until our last day. Witnessed a woman hit a truck in the parking lot, it looked like she was backing into our car, so I confronted her. She then processed to yell and scream @ me! She was the one who hit the truck!!! She tried to park her car, and then got out and came directly @ me...Screaming that I was drunk (we had just come back from a bus trip to Boston) bad mouthing me to my husband. Obviously she was the one drunk! Took her license number to the front desk and they called the police. When the police arrived (2 Newport cars)they questioned the woman. I was @ the front desk and desk clerk pointed out that this was the manager, I tried to explain the story to him and he told me "let the police handle it" OK that was fine. But, after the police left the "drunk" came into the lobby and I was asking the girls @ the front desk some questions and then the "drunk" started on me again!!!! At the end of my rope I asked the girls if I had to take this, and I think the "management" overheard her yelling and came out of his office. Of course nothing was said to me or my husband by management. The girls @ the front desk were so very nice to us. I was told by many people that the drunk spent most of her time @ the bar....All we wanted was some kind of apology from the management....NOTHING!!!! The staff is fantastic, to bad the management could not follow them!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JoAnnKscotia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Sussex, New Jersey
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Wanted location near Marina and Thames St. 10 minute drive to everything and price and staff were Great. Across from Casino and 24 hour food and fun. Price very inexpensive and they upgraded to mini-suite without being asked. Nice free breakfast. Nice touch.

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank joeydagravy
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I can't say this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in but that's not saying much. The rooms are all musty and very dated. It looks like nothing has been changed or renovated in at least 20 years if not longer. The lighting is insufficient and it's kind of dark and depressing at night. The rooms are generally clean, but there's only so much you can do with what you've got. The government lodging on the Navy base next door is much better, if that gives you any idea. The only benefit to staying here is if you have business on base and need to be close by, but can't actually stay in base lodging. May be worthwhile if you get a very cheap rate but for what they try to charge sometimes I would find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank cmc002

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Boston, Massachusetts, Usa
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Four of us stayed at The Best Western Mainstay Inn for a "girls weekend" in Newport to enjoy Restaurant week, take a mansion tour and do some sight-seeing. The Mainstay was a great value and we liked the fact that it has a bar/restaurant on site - perfect to relax after a full day. The hotel also offered shuttle service to the downtown area (just minutes away) for a small fee that ran till 1am, so we were able to enjoy the night life with no worries about parking or driving. Our driver Gene was terrific, a local who was shared his knowledge of the town. The hotel is also conveniently located across the street from the slots casino, so we were able to make a stop there on our way home. The rooms at the Mainstay are clean and comfortable and everyone from the front desk folks to the wait staff and housekeepers were friendly and helpful. Although the Mainstay might not be as "upscale" as some might like, we found it to be just fine and would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

4 Thank Nancy C
Ansonia, Connecticut
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We love Newport and go several times a year for a few days. This hotel is a good option for people who don't care about the view out their window. If you are willing to drive a couple of miles for the view, the beach and the cliff walk, this is the place. We have always stayed in the newest part and found the rooms clean and comfortable. It is right across the street from the Newport Grand Casino. With the casino card you can often get a discount on the hotel room. The rooms have all the basics and parking is not an issue. There is an outdoor pool which is nice and a small fitness room (only a few machines work). The front desk people are very helpful, and the hotel offers a shuttle for a small fee to downtown. I would recommend this place for families on a budget.

Room Tip: stay on the 4th floor newer wing
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank elliejoe15
Westport
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Booked this hotel after a recommendation from a friend (who stayed on the 4th floor) for 2 nights to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. Checked into the room at 6 pm after having an awful time finding a parking spot. Front desk staff were nice, nothing outstanding however. Our room was on the first floor down a hall that resembled something out of a horror movie. On entering the room it seemed clean but very basic in the way of decor. After being in the room for a little while I started to feel ill. I could not breathe and had an awful headache. My boyfriend remarked that the room smelled like mold. After looking around he found areas of black mold. It looked as though they had tried to paint to cover up the mold, but it was still coming through. Even the AC filter had mold on it. I went out to the front desk to let the staff know what we found. They didn't seem surprised. Much to my disappointment they did not have another room available(the day of the St. Patrick's Day Parade so it was very busy) but they said they would upgrade our room for the next night to s suite on the 4th floor. I accepted and then spent my whole night sick. The next morning at 8 AM, after getting only about an hour of sleep, I was rudely awakened by what sounded like a train going down the hall. It turns out it was a laundry cart. Then a few staff members decided to stand in front of our door to have a conversation. After this happened a few times I got up and went to the front desk and explained the situation to the girl. She apologized and got the Front Desk Manager who did not seem very sincere in her apology. She offered to comp our night and asked me to bring my card back so that she could credit me. When I came back to the desk the first girl gave me a refund of $40, but I had paid $104 for that one night. She said the manager only approved $40. I demanded to speak with the manager again and she told me that she never told me how much she planned on refunding me and that $40 seemed fair for my inconvenience. I told her that $40 did not seem near enough for spending an awful night in a mold infested room. She seemed annoyed and asked if I wanted to speak with the General Manager. After I said yes she decided she would go speak to him alone. After coming back she said they would give me the previous night free. Upon going to our new room on the 4th floor I was amazed by the difference in the smell and air quality. Our room was very clean with no sign or smell of mold. However, I will never stay there again after the experience we had. Our weekend was ruined and we are both still sick. Do yourself a favor and find another hotel in the area, even if it is a bit more money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tarabell0315
Texas
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We checked-in at the Best Western Mainstay Inn on Wednesday, 6 March, then departed on Sunday, 10 March 2013. The room we got was nice and comfortable, however, the toilet wouldn't flush correctly, so at 6:00 a.m. Thursday morning we asked the front desk if we could move, and she put us in an upgraded room.

The new room was huge and very comfortable. We were in Newport for our daughter's graduation from the Navy's Officer Candidate School, and so we were in and out very frequently.

Of course this hotel is not on par with the Hyatt or Marriott, but we were treated very well and enjoyed a comfortable and very clean room during our stay there. Additionally, we received an excellent price for the room through HotWire (under $50 per day) and so the room, service and everything else was a bit better than we expected for that pricepoint.

This is a very busy hotel, yet staff took care of us and our needs. The hotel's restaurant served good food at fairly reasonable prices.

My only complaint was the taste of the coffee when we brewed the in-room coffee... Tasted like the smell of hot, melting plastic. The restaurant served excellent coffee.

Free use of the hotel's public computer. Free WiFi and internet. Free parking. None of those are free at the more expensive hotels in Newport (a $30 savings per day, at least).

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the newly-renovated sections of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family