“Short stay, some negatives”

Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Newport
NYC
“Short stay, some negatives”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The good:close to all the shops and restaurants(5 min ride in a car), free parking, restaurant on premises if need to eat late, part of the hotel is renovated.
Not so good: very thin walls- we could hear when neighbors took a shower, the pillows were not comfortable.
Overall an ok hotel for a short stay which we had.
You should know that some rooms are not renovated, so make sure to ask for a renovated room when booking.

3 Thank Klorina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This hotel is not fancy but it's decent. My room was average size and clean, I got a balcony with a view of the parking lot, so what!! its worth the extra few bucks to have some extra space.
It's reasonably priced for this area. It's a 2 minute drive to Newport shops, attractions and parking. The hotel restaurant/lounge is clean and the food is good. The pool was clean and refreshing. There is a Walmart plaza with a variety of other stores including a grocery store within a half mile walk and a "Slots" Casino across the street. If you don't need to be right in the heart of Newport, I reccommend this hotel. If you are ones of those travelers that complains about a little mildew in the tile behind the toilet or because the pillows are too soft or because the bars of soap were too small, my advise would be to just stay home!! I would stay at this hotel again!

2 Thank Rob L
Boston
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The Mainstay Inn is pleasant enough as you first walk in but take caution in that the rooms are old and as another reviewer has stated, the rooms smell and feel damp. While it is a "clean" motel, it does need to update it rooms and its lobby.

When I walked into the room, it was so smelly that I asked the maid to freshen it again. She was wonderful and she sprayed some cleaning fluid on the floor. The cleaning staff was wonderful, especially if you spoke Spanish to them. They were the best part of my short stay.

The price of $200.00 a night was a bit outrageous. The rate drops to $80.00 a night outside of wedding season and that is what a night at this motel would be worth.

The television selection was poor and there was no listing sheet for stations. The air condition was loud and the bathroom was in dire need of an update.

The bed was comfortable, however.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to lobby tend to be recommended
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank 1Greg

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Cold Spring, NY
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This huge, busy motel is showing wear and tear; the hallways smell badly of the perfumed cleaners old motels use on carpets, the beds' bed-pads are too small and rumple up during the night. It is basically clean but tired -- especially for the money (over $200+/night); breakfast is not included. The attached restaurant has poor breakfast bread selections (only toast, plain bagels and cheap English muffins) but decent omelets. We couldn't wait to leave and get outdoors!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LaRiveraine
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was the one having the wedding last Saturday 7/7/12. There was no AC in the ballroom, they told us someone was on their way to fix it and no one ever showed up. The staff was rude to my guests when they complained about the heat. One of my guests was even told the fire dept was on their way to cool everyone off. We had to request a fan because no one on staff was bright enough to think of that on their own. Half of my guests left after 2 hrs because of the heat, including my new mother in-law because she has breathing problems and couldn't breathe. No one wanted to dance because it was too hot, my pictures are ruined because everyone was covered in sweat. At the end of the night the only people who were still there for my last dance was the wedding party because they had to be there. Also because of the heat my $600 cake melted. The staff had put it in the fridge to save it (or so I thought). The next morning I was informed they threw out my entire cake along with the cake toppers I had sent away to have hand made to resemble our family. As if that wasn't enough to go wrong with them, they had to be told when to clear the tables and put food away. We told them we would get the rest of our decorations in the morning and someone was so kind to brake one of my $40 pillars with no explanation.

• Stayed July 2012
11 Thank Ryalee
Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We couldn't find a parking place when we checked in on Saturday night. My understanding was there were two weddings or events going on. Frustrated that we had to drive through and around the parking lot twice before we finally parked in the grass.

Our room was ok and clean enough. The king bed was very comfortable. No breakfast with your room, but you can get breakfast from the motel's restaurant. Have breakfast at the Diner in the circle just south of the restaurant (go through two stoplights to the circle).

Our room wasn't cleaned by the time we returned at 3:30 from the Tall Ships Festival. I called the front desk for new towels and housekeeping brought them within about 10 minutes so we could take a nap after being in the sun all day. The shower is slippery and the shower curtain didn't prevent water on the bathroom floor.

The windows were really dirty and had condensation from the air conditioning stains. I am a window person so this was disappointing. As long as you kept the heavy drapes closed....

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor and could hear every step taken in the room above.
3 Thank Ayrshirefarmer
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 4, 2012

The Best Western is a great location because it is so close to Newport. They have a shuttle that is great to use to get to Downtown. I can't really complain about the rooms, but I did experience something very weird with their House Keeping.

One morning we were still in the room when house keeping came to clean. We told them to come back later, and they responded with "it's either now or never." We told them that we didn't need our room cleaned then today and just give us clean towels. We received the towels and they went on their way. We left the room around lunch time and came back an hour later to see a note on our bed saying "House Keepin sorry no clean laundry not good, not bed, not batrom tomorow yes clean" (yes, this is exactly how the note was written). Our room was still not touched or cleaned, and for some reason house keeping had entered our room to leave this note. We were very confused as to why they returned to our room and did nothing but leave that note. I felt very eery about the situation, and still have no idea why this uneducated house keeper wrote that note. I Went to the front desk to figure it out, but the General Manager, Loren Traeger, had already left for the day. Lets just say I won't be staying at a Best Western any time soon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends