“Great hotel and great unexpected hotel restaurant!”

Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I would stay at hotel again and again! Comfortable clean rooms at a great value! Ate 3 times in hotel restaurant and food was terrific! And at great prices! Food much better than fancy Newport Wharf restaurant and half the price! I'd recommend to all!

• Stayed: June 2011

Reviewed June 24, 2011

First, this hotel is over 2 miles from Newport and not in a great part of town. I feared getting out of my car at the gas station across the street. You need a car if you want to explore the real town of Newport.

Upon arrival in the first room, there was an overwhelming odor of cleaning materials. It was nauseating. I called the desk and they moved me to another room. The second room was just as bad. Again, I called and this time there was no answer at the desk. I had to call the direct number from my cell to get someone to answer. After much discussion with an obviously annoyed front desk person, I was sent someone to check the room. This man was beyond rude but we were again moved. He was also very annoyed that I asked for assistance with my bags that I had already moved twice.

The third room had a window that I opened to air out the room and I also had fabreeze which helped a lot. The cleaning people were asked to not use the regular cleaning materials in our room. That helped but the hallways reeked.

On our first night, we were awoken by a guest smashing into our door at 1:45 am. There was a wedding and the male guests were fist fighting in the hallway. I attempted to call the front desk, but no answer. As I was about to call 911, one of the members of the "party" was able to get the guys into a room. Not a comforting feeling in a hotel.

I have been traveling for over 30 years and have NEVER had such an issue with a hotel. I even apologized to THEM for the inconvenience, but they were still rude. I feel this hotel was misrepresented by hotels.com and had I known the condition and location I would have NOT chosen this place.

Room Tip: I don't believe there is a BEST room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 2GirlsTrip
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We had thought of spending $200+ for a B&B and opted for this less expensive option. They have a shuttle, so you don't have to worry about parking downtown, and room was very adequate with a comfy bed...what more could you want for $75? It was great!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank erincory
Reviewed June 12, 2011

After reading somewhat mixed reviews we decided to risk it and stay at the Mainstay Inn for our few days of sightseeing around Newport. We were quite pleasantly surprised. Both in terms of location and price it would be hard to beat. We apparently got a complementary upgraded room. It was clean, and very nicely furnished with an excellent bed, two TVs, a couch, etc. The service was very good in every respect. I would, however, suggest that you might want to avoid the restaurant. It too was clean, with good service, but the food left something to be desired.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ehuff
Reviewed May 20, 2011

From May 16-19, 2001 I had 75 people plus myself staying at the Mainstay Inn in Newport, RI
I can only say that the Hospitality, Friendlyness & Service were excellant and they meet the needsof the people they accommodate. Cost was very reasonable and location close to most things people wish to so and see.
From Chambermaids to administration the staff at the Best Western Mainstay Inn are genuine ambassadors to people who visit Newport, RI.
Without a doubt if the time came where I had to return to Newport, the Mainstay would be my choice from the recent experience I had in staying at the inn,

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank MHEENAN1
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I stayed last Sunday night, booked thru Expedia for ~$50. Room was a suite: King bed (great bedding), fold-out couch, fridge, microwave, 2 TVs, free WiFi, etc. I can't think of anything that I could possibly complain about. Even the shower was good.
Because I was pre-paid, check-in took less than 1 minute; honest! Had breakfast in the restaurant, with low expectations. But the omelet, coffee and service (thanks Karl) were all great.
Very close to downtown Newport and so close to the Slots place you'd be embarrassed to drive. (I didn't go in there, so no coments about it.)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank JOrenstein
Reviewed March 7, 2011

My wife & I went there in March and the room was freezing cold. The heater was useless since it took us whole night to warm up the room. Heating with a hair dryer would be faster. The bed is pretty uncomfortable. Nothing great except for the price.

• Stayed: March 2011