“Warm atmosphere, lovely service...”
Review of Bouchard Inn

Bouchard Inn
Ranked #21 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 1, 2011

...and, most importantly, the food is quite good. I had the striped bass and it was excellent.
I appreciated that, though it's an upscale place, the atmosphere is not at all formal or stuffy. Very friendly. Will return!

1  Thank WordGirl1968
There are newer reviews for Bouchard Inn

Reviewed July 11, 2011

First, I must say, my husband and I are used to staying at timeshares and multi-room resorts. I wanted to stay at an inn because we never had before, and it seemed romantic (and because that was what we could afford in Newport in the summer). Well, I liked the fact that it was very personal-- quaint, cozy, etc. There was no hotel or resort style check-in line, and I got to meet the owner personally as well as other guests. Mrs. Bouchard and the other staff I met were very friendly and inviting. We stayed in the Windward room, which besides having the ugliest wallpaper I've ever seen in my life, was a nice room. We had a place to sleep (queen bed), we had a private bath (which was well taken care of) and we had a light breakfast in the morning (fresh pastries, parfait, oj, coffee). The pastries were quite tasty, but not particularly filling. My husband was a little disappointed with the breakfast and was looking for "an actual meal" (I think he was expecting bacon and eggs) . So if your husband is a muscular 6'2" and 240 lbs. like mine, keep in mind that you'll probably have to go eat breakfast after you eat breakfast, as we did. It would be nice if a fridge and microwave were added to the Windward room (I think some of the other rooms have them-- but they should be standard). The room was clean and the bed faces the windows. After looking at the website, I was under the impression that the Windward room had a harbor view. Yes, it is facing the direction of the water, but the view is of the gravel parking lot. At least you can keep an eye on your car. From what I could tell, none of the rooms in the main inn have a view of the water. Overall, this inn met our needs. We slept late, but were out and about for most of the day, so we really just needed a place to sleep, and this was sufficient for that. No staff were around at check out time, which was slightly inconvenient. They seem to work around the restaurant schedule, not the inn.

Room Tip: Book early or in the off season for a good room and good rates. Book online.
4  Thank Kristeanity
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We booked both the restaurant for a special anniversary dinner, and the Rose Room for an overnight stay. The innkeepers went out of their way to ensure that our stay was a memorable one, including the wonderful meal we had in the restaurant.
We had no trouble booking the room online, and reserving a nice table for dinner that night. The hostess was more than accommodating, allowing us to park our car in their lot should we arrive earlier than the 2 PM check-in time, which we did. A word to the wise- the check-in for the inn is at the reception desk for the restaurant. Check-in was efficient, and the hosts could not have been nicer!
Our room, on the second floor facing the rear, was very clean, bright, spacious, and had a view of the harbor. We did note that there was a recent change in the furniture arrangement in this room. It was certainly a welcome change as the bed was positioned such that it faced the rear window, faced the TV, and was not directly under the air conditioner as it was before. As it was a hot day, the air conditioner was certainly welcome. Its gentle "white noise" helped isolate us from the noisy pub restaurant next door. Bedding and pillows were both comfortable and the room was actually quiet, enabling us to get a good night's sleep after a full day and dinner in Newport. I am left wondering why it is that inns like those high beds- we also encountered a high bed at the Lightkeepers Inn in Edgartown. The shower was nice and hot, and had good water pressure, but that part of the bathroom could use more light.
Breakfast is served between 8 and 8:30 AM. It is left on a shelf outside one's door. A nice table with two chairs is provided for guests to eat their breakfast. I think it's nice that guests do not have to get dressed and wander downstairs to the dining room for breakfast. Our breakfast consisted of two big croissants with fruit preserves, two cups of yogurt, fruit, and granola parfait, two glasses of orange juice, and a pitcher of fresh coffee with cream and sugar on the side, all artfully arranged on a tray.
The location could not have been better. It is smack in the middle of Newport's best boutique shopping, near dozens of restaurants and a short stroll from the main wharf areas.
When in Newport, we'll most certainly consider staying again at this inn, which I think is a nice alternative to staying in the big hotels.

1  Thank JCArchT
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We stayed in Newport for 3 nights in late June 2011. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. It had a small refrigerator stocked with OJ, milk, and water and had a Keurig coffee maker. The staff was very friendly and helpful with ideas for sightseeing. Breakfast was delivered to our door every morning and had delicious fresh pastries and a fruit and yogurt parfait. Since we stayed multiple nights we were offered a discount at the restaurant but were unable to take advantage of it. I would stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 14, 2011

except Bouchard's in Newport. First of all, the atmosphere is incredible. Intimate, warm, personalized service. Nicest couple (Albert and Sarah) ensure that everything is perfect, from a specialized dinner menu, to a room full of bouquets and candles and rose petal, all handled with minimal involvement by me. Dinner menu is best-in-class. Presentation cannot be beat. Breakfast is delivered to your room -- coffee, fresh baked pastries, still hot from the oven. And freshly squeezed OJ for health fanatics. The inn is located on the waterfront, easy walking distance to anywhere you need to be around the Avenue of the Americas. Easy off-street parking. Ask for the table by the fireplace. Personally, I can't wait for my anniversary to surprise my wife with a return visit to Albert and Sarah.

Room Tip: Ask for the Rose Room
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Stayed here for a wedding in newport becasue it was literally the ONLY place I could find near downtown with availability for the weekend I needed, without a 2 night minimum. When I called to be sure someone else checking in for me was ok (since I was busy with wedding obligations) , the owner was slightly rude. However, once I was there is was fantastic. The breakfast outside the room in the morning was a great surprise. The room was absolutely adorable, bathroom maybe a bit dated but clean. Wish we could have spent more time there. When I went to check out in the morning, I asked if they could call a cab for us to where our car was left at the wedding. After we got back down stairs the owner said he was unable to get through to any cab companies because of a festival going on downtown. BUT, he was nice enough to drive us HIMSELF to get our car. A fantastic surprise and courtesy that will certainly get me to stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2010

To begin, we love walking the city of Newport and the Inn is just a 15 minute walk from the main wharfs. Since our last visit 5 years ago, this section of Thames Street from the wharfs to the Inn now offers boutique stores for clothing and home, as well as varied pubs and restaurants, filled with locals and visitors. We also enjoyed strolling down the side streets toward the harbor, looking at the architecture and the docked boats.

The intent of our visit was the Sailboat Show, so it was wonderful to return to our room to relax. It was cozy, very clean, and had a beautiful French nautical decor. The bed was also very comfortable and the room was very quiet, at the rear of the Inn. Our wall of windows allowed us to enjoy the eastern end of the harbor, watching cruise ships arrive and sailboats head out. The bathroom was fine, basic and filled with the usual products. The house/inn was built in the 1700's, so we appreciated its age and the water pipes overhead in the bathroom. Our one request, a big comfy chair to relax in.

The Bouchard Inn includes a delicious continental breakfast, delivered to a tray outside your room, at a prearranged time. Each morning's tray included a fresh and 'beautiful' fruit cup, juice, freshly baked pastry, and a hot pot of coffee. The quality of the Bouchard French Restaurant was evident in its preparation. Food concerns are requested on the registration form, so my food allergy was not a problem. Breakfast in the room was a relaxing way to begin each day!

Upon our arrival we had the pleasure to meet the Inn's owner, Albert, in the parking lot; he immediately came over to introduce himself, help with the luggage, and register us. (He is also the chef.) His friendliness immediately made us happy that we had chosen his Inn. We also met his wife, Sarah, who was very gracious to us. As we were leaving, they invited us to tour the new building that they had just renovated. Each room was exquisite and filled with the modern amenities that some travelers prefer.

We have always enjoyed our other stays in Newport. However, we will now be returning to the Bouchard Inn. It's location and atmosphere complement the city of Newport. Unfortunately on this visit we did not have the opportunity to dine at the Restaurant nor enjoy a drink at the intimate sidewalk bar. These are two additional reasons to return to the Bouchard.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple