“Just had drinks and a "small plate" and .....”

Fluke Wine Bar & Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Fluke Wine Bar & Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 239 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Banisters Wharf & America's Cup Ave
Transit: Bowen's Wharf
Description: Our menu of snacks, small and large plates changes daily, capturing the best seasonal ingredients. Enjoy scenic views on historic Bannister's Wharf. Award winning cocktails and wine list.
Hopewell, NJ
“Just had drinks and a "small plate" and .....”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

.....It is worth telling about! On recommendation from a friend of mine who is also a relative of the owners, we stopped in Saturday night. We had an obligation elsewhere to meet for dinner, but we stopped at Fluke for a drink and one of the "small plates" that he said we just "had" to have -- if it was available, fried oysters (more correctly; Crispy Local Oysters with Mango Pepper Relish, Red Chili Mayo). So, we asked if we could go up to the bar on the upper floor and were escorted there by Geremie, who turned out to be one of the relatives of my friend, and co-owner of the place with her husband Jeff. After a quick pic with her to prove to my friend we did go to Fluke, we sat at the super nice, cozy, well stocked bar (not to mention with a view of the waterfront) and ordered our cocktails and the oysters described above. Now I'm not one who is necessarily a cynic on recommendations a friend gives me of his favorite places to eat or looks to be able to criticize the recommendation just for fun, but if I was, I would have been sadly disappointed here, because every part of what I was told was more than true! The place itself was wonderful, a multilevel restaurant with cozy yet uncrowded tables, staff who all wore a smile and seemed very knowledgeable about how customers like to be treated, yet not overindulgent. The drinks were perfect and prepared by obviously experienced bartenders, both as mixologists and attentive servers. And guess what, the oysters were some of the best damn fried oysters I've had, a light dusting or batter, tasty garnish and sauce as described on the menu, just perfect - could have easily eaten a few more orders of them they were so good. Next time we're in Newport, this is where we'll eat a whole dinner (and will have the oysters again too!) Thanks for the recommendation Jonesy, you were right on with this one!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Scout1970

Long Island, NY
“Good food, but...”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I don't care how good the food is, but when you sit down and have to order apps and mains at once, this detracts from the entire dining experience. This could be a first class restaurant if this ridiculous rule was done away with. On a positive note, service, bread, cocktails, and wine were very good.

• Visited September 2013
Franklin, Massachusetts
“Small Plates You Can't Course Out?”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I LOVE tapas bars and was hoping to have the small plates here be similar to that. We were starving when we sat down but didn't have time to look over the entire menu. We asked to start with two small plates while we looked it over and we received the response, "We ask that you order all your dishes at once and we will course it out for you." This translated into me eating soup after a few courses and as my main meal. The food was okay but pricey. I guess it is to be expected in Newport but I expected a lot more.

They actually give out flashlights for the menu because the lighting is so "ambient" so if you want to see your date/friends and would like to choose what you eat and when you eat it, I would suggest skipping this place.

I should mention the view could be nice on the upper floor, third floor, but on the second floor, at least while the tree has leaves, you don't get to see the water.

• Visited October 2013
“Excellent restaurant!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This restaurant was our favorite when staying in Newport. The food and drinks were amazing. The waitress could have been a bit more attentive, but we were really happy with the food. Nice atmosphere.

Visited September 2013
Cumberland, Maryland
“not worth the money”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Four of us were in Newport for a girls getaway. We had reservations at Fluke and were seated promptly at a table with a wonderful view of the wharf, but tthings went downhill from there. Two of our group arrived first and were told they could not order an appetizer yet because all four of us had to order at the same time. When we asked for recommendations on what size plates to order, we were told we should get at least 4 small plates and several entree's which seemed like a lot of food for the just the four of us. We ended up getting one item each and that was plenty. The food was decent but overpriced as was the wine and drinks. The restaurant was very loud and the waitstaff were unfriendly. After dinner, we were enjoying a relaxing conversation, but were asked to leave by the manager to make room for other diners. I have actually never had that happen to me before! Needless to say, we will not be returning to Fluke.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank travelbug50_12

Been to Fluke Wine Bar & Kitchen? Share your experiences!