“First visit - good food and value”

The Gas Lamp Grille
Ranked #57 of 244 Restaurants in Newport
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2013

First time at Gas Lamp Grille. Pleasant, cozy place right on Thames Street. Was in Newport for a fabulous "Girl's Weekend". Lots of fun, laughs and good food!

Salads, soups, burgers, pasta, dinners, seafood - lots of choices. Good value.

I had a house salad - very generous - fresh and tasty! I also had the Black Bean Veggie burger. Really liked it -had sauteed onions and mushrooms on it - served with well seasoned steak fries.

Others has steak tips / sea food - no one was unhappy with the meal! Would return.

Another great spot in Newport, RI.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I went here for dinner on a Friday night. We got there at about 7:30pm and were seated immediately (Mid-April). It's basically a bar atmosphere with several tables for dining. My husband ordered pasta with scallops, and I ordered the baked cod. The pasta was great, but the cod was too salty to eat (through no fault of the cooking, it was just a really salty piece of fish). The server was very responsive, and offered to replace my fish with something else. I ordered the steak tips, which were EXCELLENT! He also took the price of my entree off of the bill. Great service. A bit on the high end of prices, but I'm glad we went there.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband and I have always enjoyed the varied menu at the Gas Lamp and this week I grew to appreciate them even more. A place where we could find something to suit both the 70+ Grandma and the teenage picky eater and all of us loved our choices. Add in great service from Brian (the bartender) and I'd have a hard time going elsewhere in Newport.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were fortunate enough to be in Newport for Restaurant week. We took advantage of that to visit some new places. Hubby and I both had the chowder in Gas Lamp Grille. It was very different that other places and very good. Hubby said he preferred to any other in Newport. We also had the Caprese Salad which was huge. By they time we finished our chowder and salad, we had no room for our entree. I had the grilled salmon wrap. I don't usually eat salmon but this was very light tasting. I really liked the dressing on it. Hubby had the spinach and garlic pizza and he said it was great. We took it back to the hotel and he ate it for two days! Over all it was very good - and the price for Restaurant Week was outstanding. Our next visit hubby plans to spend some time in the bar.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Pretty great place, clean and bright. My food was good for the most part. Turkey club was simple, no bells and whistles there so that was just average, but the clam chowder has a spicy pepper on it. Very different, very good. Warm pear salad came without carmelized walnuts. Overall the salad was plain.

The food wasn't all that bad but the service was horrible. Girl had no idea what she was doing.