“A truly great hotel.”

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Long Island
“A truly great hotel.”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We just returned from two nights at the Vanderbilt and loved it there. The hotel is beautiful like described in all the prior reviews and the staff is excellent. We brought along our 19 month old son and had no problems with him. The staff brought us a crib and got it all set up for us. The room was huge and had a nice separate sitting area which was perfect for him to sleep in. We were able to enjoy the new outdoor pool and had it all to ourselves. We had breakfast outside one morning and the food was very tasty. We also met the owner who seemed like a wonderful man and a gracious host. Now my only complaint would be the room service. I'm still not sure if it's offered at the hotel? It is listed on the website and in some paperwork we had seen but when I inquired twice I was told that it is not offered. We would have loved to ordered in. Other than that no problems and we will be back again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I've been coming to Newport,R.I. for more than 30 years, but never had a chance to stay at this beautiful hotel. The location is perfect for going to all the great Newport mansions (5-10 minutes drive) or simply walk to all popular restaurants on the waterfront. Elegantly decorated spacious rooms, excellent spa with first-rate care and a terrific in-door swimming pool helped so much in my intense schedule at the Newport Music Festival as an artist.. My whole family enjoyed always friendly & helpful stuff, and a delicious restaurant and the breakfast room.
It certainly enhanced my Newport Experience and I look forward to many more visits there in the future.
Dmitry Sitkovetsky

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank torpedo54
New York
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I can't wait to stay here again! Each of the times I've stayed here, I've had an even better experience. The rooms are gorgeous and each one is very unique, the staff is great and the amenities are wonderful - especially the addition of the new pool this year - it's one of the few luxury hotels in Newport that is within walking distance to town. I can't say enough great things about this hotel!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYUgradgal
mclean,va
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I have been to the best hotels in the world and the service here was the best ever. My wife and I were astonished at the friendliness, the attention to detail and the way that the staff went out of its way to accommodate everything and anything we wanted.

The General Manager went out of his way to resolve an issue we had with a chauffeur company and it really wasn't even his problem! Amazing, I have never been so impressed with any hotel anywhere on the planet like I was with this one.

If you are going to Newport, RI, don't miss this place!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 25, 2010

Just returned from Newport. I can't say enough about this hotel. The furnishings, artwork, ambiance ....are unrivaled. In addition the staff could not have been more attentive, the room was high end, spotless, and the location is steps away from Thames St. From the outside , you would never know this was a hotel; on the inside you feel like you just walked into a museum of American Art Illustrations. It manages to be very elegant and comfortable at the same time. One of the nicest hotel experiences I have ever had.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bandit1
Boston
Reviewed April 25, 2010

My wife and I have stayed in a lot of hotels in a lot of cities. This is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful hotels, with some of the best service, of any place we have ever stayed. This hotel is a hidden gem. The service of James and the whole staff could not have been better or friendlier. The hotel is beautiful and filled with artwork, the breakfast was delicious in a gorgeous conservatory and the rooms was beautifully decorated. It was obvious that their reason for living was for our stay at their hotel to be our best hotel experience ever. They succeeded.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank immerman
Long Island, NY
Reviewed April 24, 2010

The Vanderbilt Hall Hotel was very accommodating to us when we decided to take our seven month old daughter on her first trip. We wanted something comfortable, pleasant, and relaxing. We weren't looking to spend a ton of money, and you may ask why we would then consider Newport and the Vanderbilt Hall, but for the price, for the time we went, we thought it worth a shot and worth the treat. While it may have been exceptional circumstances, as we were there mid-week in late March, it was lousy weather, and it was certainly not a busy time for Newport, Jeff, the on-call manager, treated us as a regular, and the staff was attentive to us at every end. His area recommendations were very helpful. The hotel itself is remarkably clean, as it has been completely redone, and the pool and sauna were a joy to spend time in. The fitness center is small. Our suite was spacious, with lofty ceilings and windows and was very open and naturally lit. It is elegantly charming, sophisticated, and in some regards, slightly extravagant. Monty's was a perfect choice for breakfast, their applewood smoked bacon sticks in my memory as the best I've ever tasted. The service there, as well, was nothing less than exceptional. I can only hope that they remain open to the public, as they are looking to become a private members club, and as a young parent that drives an old Honda, I'm probably not part of their usual, or summer, clientele.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family