“Was pleasantly surprised”
Review of Grace Vanderbilt

Grace Vanderbilt
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The hotel is so conveniently located near the wharfs in Newport. It is a beautiful quaint hotel that exceeded all expectations. It is certainly one of the top three hotels in Newport. Allison was the manager of the hotel, was hands on and made sure your stay was exceptional. Andrew is the sommelier and manager of The Muse which is the restaurant at the hotel...He was also fantastic and created a totally wonderful dining experience. The food was heavenly and the ambiance very elegant (real fireplace as well as a lovely piano player)...Please let me also state that I am a hotel snob, as well as foodie so what i say you can take it to the bank. Also eat at Bouchard's which was also exceptional. Anyway, getting back to the hotel....All the staff was top notch from the bell hops, valet and servers at the continental breakfast in the morning. The conservatory where the breakfast is served is elegant, and delicious. The only negative thing i can say about the hotel is that the room decor could have been better. It could have matched the rest of the hotel decor which is absolutely beautiful... Despite this, I would most certainly stay here again.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Location: Walking distance to sea-side shops, bars, & restaurants. Literally in the middle of downtown Newport! Easy walking to both tourist destinations and local hot spots. We chose to walk to the Mansions, which took about 25 minutes to get to the Breakers.

Hotel: The hotel is beautiful!! Very clean, very sleek, breathtaking! Our room had his and hers bathrooms! The staff was more than happy to help us choose destinations, even brought us a map at breakfast and gave us walking directions to the mansions! The hotel has an amazing roof top bar featuring a great namesake cocktail, the grace. Along with the fantastic views of the harbor!

This hotel has it all: location, cleanliness, hospitality, & elegance. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was the stand out hotel in a 2 week trip to New England in which we stayed in several hotels and inns. The staff were friendly and very well trained. The suite was large Nd very well equipped. The bed comfortable. The shower, one of the best I have used. The wifi was fast and consistent. Breakfast varies and of good quality.

I was grateful I could turn the AC off and open the windows as the system seemed rather noisy, but no problem, as we didn't need to use it.

Location very central to Newport.

1  Thank Coddfish
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had a wonderful stay in a large, one bedroom suite. The breakfast in the courtyard each day was a lovely start to our days. The hotel itself is old fashioned and gracious. I love that the rooms lock with real keys! The billiards table downstairs was very popular with our boys. And you cannot beat the location, right in the heart of the waterfront area of Newport. One complaint: the outdoor pool is way too small and the indoor pool is part of the spa with an air temperature like a sauna.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I guess I am old fashioned. I am not beguiled by aroma therapy or chocolates on my pillow. For me the most basic essentials of any hotel room are:
1. that the room be reasonably quiet
2. that the ventilation/ climate control be confortable
3. that the room accomodations allow for reasonable seating
4. that the closet and furniture allow for space to hang up and place folded clothes
5. that the room be clean and tidy.
6. that the bed be comforable.
I recently (October 2013) stayed here with my wife. Our room failed on 4 of the 6 essentials (at least it was reasonably clean and the bed was comfortable).
We were with a group and I probably had one of the worst rooms of those in our group, but even allowing for that, I observed that all the rooms I saw had noisy old-fashioned in-room air conditioning units like the kind found in cheap motels. Mine rattled and blasted cold air or had to be turned off and the room reduced to claustrophobic heat.
Given that our room was only slightly larger than the width of our bed with the rattling air conditioner on one side only a few feet away, it made for an uncomfortable rest. In addition just outside the room on the opposite side in the wall was another noisy air conditioning unit also rumbling.
There was no room to hang up our clothes in the "closet" which was very narrow (with a lower narrow half space beside) and no drawers for folded items, We were reduced to putting some items in the space beneath the tv.
My wife and I had to take turns sitting on the one chair available. There was also a miniature chair at the "desk, but the desk was barely wide enough to support a computer and papers if one wished to work.
The breakfast was adequate but a bit boring. We were there for three breakfasts and it hardly changed.. The garden, however, was lovely.
Over all, I could not recommend this as a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Walter G
MarinaGrace, General Manager at Grace Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Walter G.,

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your accommodation during your group visit; we would have loved to have assisted you with your room preferences during the booking process as there were larger accommodation options available to the group. Furthermore, due to the unique architecture of the building, each of the rooms has a different layout and we have made it possible for people to view the floor plans of each room on our website.

Our breakfast buffet offers over 30 different items for the guests to enjoy, with the muffins changing on a daily basis, plus an extensive hot menu. We are always willing to make anything within our means for a guest who cannot find what they are looking for on the menu. Nevertheless, we do appreciate your feedback and will look at ways to offer even more variety on a daily basis.

Please do contact me if you visit Newport again in the future so that I can be of assistance to you personally.

Kind regards,
Marina Aslanidou

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Vanderbilt Grace in a one bedroom corner suite. The location of this hotel is superb, walking distance to shops and restaurants, yet away enough to avoid crowds. Our room was spacious and clean and we had nice views. However, we could hear every word the people staying in the room next door were yelling at each other in the middle of the night! For a $1,000 per night room, I would expect thicker or better insulated walls to at least dampen such noise.

The hotel staff as very friendly, nice, and eager to answer our questions to make sure we had a good stay. Breakfast at the conservatory, which was included in our room rate, was very good and clean, with a few issues. The loaf of homemade bread tasted as though it was old even though it was not. Suggestion to hotel: change this bread please. The roof top deck was very nice and had great views, but my one non-alcoholic cocktail (basically a glass of cranberry juice mixed with pineapple juice) cost $7 and my husband's glass of mineral water also cost $7.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner suite which has many windows. Be sure to visit the roof top deck.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband had wanted to visit Newport for the longest time. I purchased a room package through Rue LaLa for the Vanderbilt Grace. The rooms are very spacious, with top of the line furniture and amenities. While visiting in the early Spring, we had unusually warm weather, requiring us to utilize the AC. The second day, the AC stopped working and we were quickly and promptly moved to a new room. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We were moved into the oldest part of the mansion, which I suggest anyone making reservations ask to be settled there. The room was amazing! If you appreciate architecture and quality craftsmanship of years gone by, the older room has it all, from tall ceilings to large windows.
We ate dinner one evening at the restaurant on the premiss and what a dinner in was. We felt like royalty as we sat by the fireplace. The meal and service was fantastic. In all, we had a wonderful experience, even with the minor hiccup. One last thing before I forget... The beds, super comfortable. I have many back issues and usually dread nights away from my sleep number bed. One of the few places I've stayed that I didn't wake up feeling like hell

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the original part of the Mansion, which overlooks the front of the hotel. Even th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple