Grace Vanderbilt
Hotel Viking(Newport)(Great Value!)
$297
  • Restaurant
Mill Street Inn(Newport)(Great Value!)
$399
Orbitz.com
$349
$499
$369
The Attwater(Newport)(Great Value!)
$259
The Chanler at Cliff Walk(Newport)
$550
$535
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina(Newport)(Great Value!)
$359
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsglass of champagneloft suiterooftop barindoor poolold mansionluxury hotelwonderful hotelthames streetgilded agehistoric buildingrhode islandlong weekendnew englandvalet parkingnewport harborbeautiful roomgreat weekend
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I guess I am old fashioned. I am not beguiled by aroma therapy or chocolates on my pillow. For me the most basic essentials of any hotel room are:
1. that the room be reasonably quiet
2. that the ventilation/ climate control be confortable
3. that the room accomodations allow for reasonable seating
4. that the closet and furniture allow for space to hang up and place folded clothes
5. that the room be clean and tidy.
6. that the bed be comforable.
I recently (October 2013) stayed here with my wife. Our room failed on 4 of the 6 essentials (at least it was reasonably clean and the bed was comfortable).
We were with a group and I probably had one of the worst rooms of those in our group, but even allowing for that, I observed that all the rooms I saw had noisy old-fashioned in-room air conditioning units like the kind found in cheap motels. Mine rattled and blasted cold air or had to be turned off and the room reduced to claustrophobic heat.
Given that our room was only slightly larger than the width of our bed with the rattling air conditioner on one side only a few feet away, it made for an uncomfortable rest. In addition just outside the room on the opposite side in the wall was another noisy air conditioning unit also rumbling.
There was no room to hang up our clothes in the "closet" which was very narrow (with a lower narrow half space beside) and no drawers for folded items, We were reduced to putting some items in the space beneath the tv.
My wife and I had to take turns sitting on the one chair available. There was also a miniature chair at the "desk, but the desk was barely wide enough to support a computer and papers if one wished to work.
The breakfast was adequate but a bit boring. We were there for three breakfasts and it hardly changed.. The garden, however, was lovely.
Over all, I could not recommend this as a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Walter G
MarinaGrace, General Manager at Grace Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Walter G.,

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your accommodation during your group visit; we would have loved to have assisted you with your room preferences during the booking process as there were larger accommodation options available to the group. Furthermore, due to the unique architecture of the building, each of the rooms has a different layout and we have made it possible for people to view the floor plans of each room on our website.

Our breakfast buffet offers over 30 different items for the guests to enjoy, with the muffins changing on a daily basis, plus an extensive hot menu. We are always willing to make anything within our means for a guest who cannot find what they are looking for on the menu. Nevertheless, we do appreciate your feedback and will look at ways to offer even more variety on a daily basis.

Please do contact me if you visit Newport again in the future so that I can be of assistance to you personally.

Kind regards,
Marina Aslanidou

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Vanderbilt Grace in a one bedroom corner suite. The location of this hotel is superb, walking distance to shops and restaurants, yet away enough to avoid crowds. Our room was spacious and clean and we had nice views. However, we could hear every word the people staying in the room next door were yelling at each other in the middle of the night! For a $1,000 per night room, I would expect thicker or better insulated walls to at least dampen such noise.

The hotel staff as very friendly, nice, and eager to answer our questions to make sure we had a good stay. Breakfast at the conservatory, which was included in our room rate, was very good and clean, with a few issues. The loaf of homemade bread tasted as though it was old even though it was not. Suggestion to hotel: change this bread please. The roof top deck was very nice and had great views, but my one non-alcoholic cocktail (basically a glass of cranberry juice mixed with pineapple juice) cost $7 and my husband's glass of mineral water also cost $7.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner suite which has many windows. Be sure to visit the roof top deck.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband had wanted to visit Newport for the longest time. I purchased a room package through Rue LaLa for the Vanderbilt Grace. The rooms are very spacious, with top of the line furniture and amenities. While visiting in the early Spring, we had unusually warm weather, requiring us to utilize the AC. The second day, the AC stopped working and we were quickly and promptly moved to a new room. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We were moved into the oldest part of the mansion, which I suggest anyone making reservations ask to be settled there. The room was amazing! If you appreciate architecture and quality craftsmanship of years gone by, the older room has it all, from tall ceilings to large windows.
We ate dinner one evening at the restaurant on the premiss and what a dinner in was. We felt like royalty as we sat by the fireplace. The meal and service was fantastic. In all, we had a wonderful experience, even with the minor hiccup. One last thing before I forget... The beds, super comfortable. I have many back issues and usually dread nights away from my sleep number bed. One of the few places I've stayed that I didn't wake up feeling like hell

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the original part of the Mansion, which overlooks the front of the hotel. Even though they are decorated and laid out similarly, the high ceilings give a sense of much greater room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Didn't even realize the valet, the restaurant, and the deck/lounge view and bar on the roof. Its amazing. The service and staff were the absolute best and most attentive. In addition, our room (the loft) was far beyond our expectations. Worth every single penny. We went for my girlfriends birthday, and she told me it was the best birthday ever - that is largely due to our accommodations, and how we were treated by the attentive staff. The location is just steps away from everything, but is still quiet, as it is only a block up from all the fun! We could have just stayed at the hotel, and been just as happy - really no reason to leave.
A+++++
5 Stars
5 Diamonds
2 Thumbs

Room Tip: The loft is actually 2 floors with 1 1/2 baths, and has skylights and a window view that is beautiful. Highly recommend it!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 771garrettr
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I live in Hong Kong and was working in the US for 2 weeks..and had a weekend free. I had never been to Newport RI before and it was suggested a great place to visit. I then was placed into the Grace Vaderbilt by my good freind Kerry Schmoock of Travel Wings in Australia. Well I can not speak more highly of the place. From the moment you arrive you are extremely well looked after by the very porffessional staff . The room ( Jnr Suite ) was outstanding . The whole decor of the Hotel has a classic feel to it and oozes class..! The hotel is very well locted to the central part of Newport and walking distance to the warves and the many hundreds of Restaurants and Shops . If you want to travel further afield the staff are more than willing to assist. The breakfast was great and the Buffett was well appointed. The highlight was the Rooftop Bar which is just an outstanding spot to sit and watch the sunset with a glass of Champagne..! I will be back to the Grace Vaderbilt...but next time my wife has demanded she is coming too ..!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo