Grace Vanderbilt
Yankee Peddler Inn(Newport)(Great Value!)
$199
$499
  • Restaurant
Mill Street Inn(Newport)(Great Value!)
$399
$349
$349
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Newport Bay Club & Hotel(Newport)(Great Value!)
$329
$319
$535
The Chanler at Cliff Walk(Newport)
$550
Agoda.com
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina(Newport)(Great Value!)
$329
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsglass of champagneloft suiterooftop barindoor poolold mansionluxury hotelwonderful hotelthames streetgilded agehistoric buildingrhode islandlong weekendnew englandvalet parkingnewport harborbeautiful roomgreat weekend
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I wanted to take my husband to Newport for his birthday weekend. I hadn't been there in about 10 years and wasn't sure where to stay. In the past I stayed at nice places, but while they were charming, they also felt like Granny's back bed room. If I go way I want to want charm AND elegance. The Vanderbilt Grace was the perfect combo of both. When you check in they greet you with a glass of champane. They had me a Hello!!
The staff was helpful, kind and curteous. Some are not 100% polished, but they made up for it in effort. Our room(the Vanderbuilt suite) was stunning. The bed, pillows and linen were the best I've ever slept on in a hotel. I seriously wanted to take the entire thing home with me....
Plus the garden/pool area was just stunning. The plantings were mature- looked like they had been there for years... All in all - I give it a A+++... Can't wait to go back.. Thank you!!!

Room Tip: The Vanderbilt suite is expensive but well worth it if you can swing it....
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The hotel is perfectly located within walking distance to downtown, the decor throughout the hotel is beautiful, and the service was top notch. It's a smaller hotel, so the staff knew our name and whatever they knew personally about our preferences, they were extremely thoughtful and exceeded our expectations by catering to those preferences. A small detail that spoke volumes was that as we were leaving my wife asked if they had any bottles of water for our drive home. The person who had already pulled our car around spoke up and mentioned that he had preemptively already put two bottles of water in the cup holders for us. We just felt that a small detail of thoughtfulness like that was pretty indicative of the entire stay. We would without question stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Wow! Of our many trips to Newport, we were blown away by the superior staff who were ready to meet any need at any time. The charm of the hotel was expressed everywhere with the decor. Excellent location, stunning view from the roof top deck both day and night. Walking distance from everything be it downtown, Belleview Ave, or the Cliff Walk. Try Second Beach for body surfing and swimming. Luxury, pricey, but worth it to spoil oneself!

Room Tip: Third floor, facing the harbor gives the best views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Allen G
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at the Vanderbilt Grace. Our suite was large, the amenities lovely, the service excellent. However, our second floor room overlooked a parking lot, the windows,if there had been a view, were dirty, one of the 2 TVs didn't work, dogs yapped in an adjacent room, cigar smoking made the roof deck unpleasant, but worst of all, a foghorn went off outside all night several times a minute. So, I recommend adding earplugs to the room amenities. All in all, I would recommend the hotel because the service was friendly and helpful and the location is excellent. If I were coming back to Newport I would, however, want to check other properties to see if I could get a better value.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Chipperbunny
MarinaGrace, Manager at Grace Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear ChipperBunny
We are glad you were able to enjoy all The Vanderbilt Grace has to offer and we thank you for the many compliments to our staff for their service and friendly demeanor. We are a pet friendly hotel and we do try to make all of our guests equally comfortable. On the occasion that a visiting dog is a disturbance, we try to address the situation immediately as I believe we did that weekend. During foggy weather in New England, the horns will sound to ships entering the harbor for safe travels. We are close to the harbor, but some rooms have a view towards the town so should you return to The Vanderbilt Grace (which we hope you do), please let me know personally so that we can try to offer you a room on a higher floor for a better view of Narragansett Bay.
Thank you again for all your comments which we have immediately taken on board to help us improve.
Kind regards,
Allison Schumann
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I were in Newport for a wedding and really needed an opportunity to recharge and relax. The hotel is beautiful in many ways and we found the service to be impeccable. Our room however was a real disappointment (Rm 304). We paid for a Junior Suite but the layout did not lend itself to a traditional suite. The ceilings had a slant to them and we both hit our heads when moving about. The worst part was that the carpets were badly stained and in desperate need of replacement. There was also a terrible odor coming from the carpets on the Main floor as we exited the elevator. I did complain upon check in but little could be done at that point. I agree with others about the roof top deck and my husband took a Saturday morning yoga class which he enjoyed very much.

Room Tip: Don't pick 304
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
MarinaGrace, Manager at Grace Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Claudia2969
Thank you for the many compliments in your review. Our staff aims to offer impeccable service and attention and it is always so wonderful to hear from our guests that we have delivered that experience.
We are glad you were able to enjoy the roof top during your visit and relax with Yoga on Saturday morning.
We do regret that your room was less enjoyable than you hoped. While our architecture is charming and historic, its early century architecture does lend itself to a few smaller spaces. It was unfortunate that we did not have an available room to move you during our busy holiday weekend.
With regards to the cleanliness of your carpets, this has been addressed and the carpet has now been deep cleaned.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Vanderbilt Grace in the future and that you might reach out to me personally when making your reservation as I would like the opportunity to help you with a room which exceeds your expectations.

Kind regards,