“A hidden gem”

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Newport
New York City, New York
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My friend and I were blown away by this magnificent hotel. First, the room was enormous. We had a bedroom, a sitting room with sofabed, fireplace, small kitchen, and an entry way. Our bathroom was spacious, with a separate shower and tub. The room was very clean, the robes Frette and the bed comfortable. When we first walked in, our impression was that we didn't want to leave.

The roof deck is lovely. We weren't there on a Wednesday, when they show movies, but it sounded fun. My friend and I enjoyed sitting by the pool in the morning and it was a nice, quiet oasis right near bustling town.

Second, the staff was fantastic. Every person we came into contact with was professional and there to help us. We had trouble getting a cab at night to come to the hotel and they got us one in 15 minutes. We arrived late and they checked us in promptly and in a friendly manner. I lost my key and they got me one in seconds. I asked about a tour and they called around for me. Everything we requested was done quickly and with a smile. We noticed little touches that impressed us.

Third, our experience at breakfast was great. We only did the complementary breakfast, but it worked for us. There were yogurts, granola, fruit, juice, baked goods, etc. You can get other items for a price, but nothing seemed expensive to us. We ate outdoors, in the beautiful garden area just outside the pool. Again, it was nice to be in a calm, quiet space before running around Newport. They also had someone from the spa giving out chair massages. It was a great way to start the day.

Lastly, the location was great. We could walk to shopping, restaurants and the harbor area, but it was removed enough that you could sleep in a quiet room at night. It was a short walk to Touro Synagogue. You will want a cab or car to the mansions, but that's the case with anything in the downtown/harbor area. We found out they have a town car you can use for a fee. We only took cabs, a pedicab and the bus, but it was nice to know their car was an option if we got stuck with a long wait for a cab.

This hotel would be wonderful for a romantic or family vacation, although my friend and I enjoyed it for a girls' weekend. They told us if we took neighboring rooms in the future, we could even have the sitting room in between, which would be a great arrangement for a group who wants space to gather and still have privacy. It would also be lovely for a party.

Overall, this place is a hidden gem and I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: The rooms vary a little, so tell them your needs.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Paris, France
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here visiting family in Newport in August 2013. The building is lovely, and centrally located within walking distance of everything. Our junior suite was spacious and nicely appointed, but there were quite a few stains on the carpet which should be attended to, as it was unsightly. (Or even better, they should remove the carpet altogether and replace it with nice wood floors). The back patio and roof terrace are very peaceful and a lovely setting to enjoy a drink or have breakfast.
What was disappointing about this hotel was the concierge services, especially for the rates we were charged (600 per night). We tried to get into a large seafood restaurant called the Mooring the day we arrived and they could not get us a table. 5 star hotels usually make the effort to make connections with local businesses to ensure guests can get tables at the last minute. When I asked if they make such efforts with local restaurants, they told me they don't. We also tried to get a table the day we arrived at the hotel's acclaimed restaurant itself and couldn't get a table there either. This was quite surprising; most high end hotels with famous restaurants usually always keep one or two tables aside for guests with last minute reservation requests. If the hotel fixed these minor issues, it would merit a 5 star rating and be suitable for the rates charged.

1 Thank MPKParis
Near Boston, MA
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The hotel is located in the center of downtown Newport within easy walking distance to many tourist favorites. The garden courtyard is gorgeous and the perfect place to enjoy breakfast before heading out for the day. Relaxing by the (small) outdoor pool is the perfect way to unwind at the end of the day. The staff is knowledgeable about Newport, friendly, and accommodating. Be sure to watch a sunset from the rooftop deck!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I were very pleased with the entire experience. Upon checkin, we were greeted with smiling faces and a complimentary glass of champagne. All of the staff, were very attentive and down to earth; two great qualities to have in customer service. The hotel is beautiful and right in the center of downtown Newport. I would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Kateland19
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Having stayed in dozens of hotels this year (so far) I can honestly say that this is one of the best. And all of the ingredients are there to keep it on top. Who can object to champagne on arrival and at breakfast? Also, the young staff members are over-the-top helpful and engaging. The suites are well appointed and feature great views - ours overlooked the harbor and we could access the rooftop deck directly!

We love the central location in Newport. It is not in the center of the most active area but it is two blocks from it so almost everything in town is walkable (except the mansions or the Cliff Walk).

We recommend the deck for a nice evening drink (although we didn't like drinks served in plastic cups). We had an equally good experience in the MUSE bar where the staff made "special non-alcoholic drinks" for our teens. It is always nice when the staff at upscale hotels treat teenagers like real human beings - they have a lot to say about where the parents spend their money!!!

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Our suggestion for improvement would be to add some new "feature" each day so that there is some variety.

Room Tip: As about the lofts. These rooms are nicely set up.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SFKSAW
Chatham NJ
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was so happy to have saved the best for last in our northern east coast vacation that started in another Grace hotel in Kennebunkport.
Champagne on arrival, greeted by genuinely sweet and helpful staff, the hotel was beautiful and well appointed and our suite was just perfect. How cool to stay in an actual home owned by a Vanderbilt family member.....the garden and pool area were divine and the rooftop bar for sunset was just so pretty and relaxing. Having ate our first vacation meal at the White Barn...no other restaurant was going to come close.....lots of places to eat in Newport....no worries. Can't wait to come back. Please don't pay attention to comments about the staff .....they were very pleasant and helpful.....everyone acknowledging you......a lovely oasis

Oakland, CA
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was my first stay at a Grace hotel and I'm hoping will not be my last. I loved this place. Great size, great location, fantastic details. Don't miss the roof-top bar at sunset; great views of Newport harbor (I'm a sucker for roof top bars). The in-house restaurant, Muse, was a nice surprise. And I love being greeted with a glass of champagne upon checkin. Very pleasant experience; would highly recommend.

1 Thank MarkNelsen