“Great Value for Great Taste!!”
Review of Corner Cafe

Corner Cafe
Ranked #2 of 234 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Irish, Portuguese, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
“Great Value for Great Taste!!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

A pretty generous portion of the best potatoes I have ever eaten with gorgonzola scrambled eggs served with Portuguese sweetbread French toast... for $9?!?! Really? That is a steal!

You are forewarned... you might wait a while if you arrive at peak hours, but it's definitely a stop to make if you're in the area. Cozy setting, busy buzz of people... head over there are see for yourself.

Milford, Connecticut
“Get there early”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had intended on going there for breakfast on Saturday morning, but by 10 a.m. there was already a line out the door and people waiting for almost 45 minutes. We decided to come the next day and there was still a little wait, but it's well worth it. I had the sweetbread french toast with Sausage. My husband had the Portuguese scrambler on top of Portuguese sweetbread. IT was very well priced as well. Everything was delicious!!!

boston, ma
“Cozy, delicious, and very expansive menu”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Loved this place for breakfast with our family of 5. We sought it out based on reviews and were thrilled we did. The menu was full of variety, with 5-6 kids of french toast, 3-4 kinds of pancakes, etc. The place is very comfy and cozy, and we sat at the window seat which was one of the best in the place. They have a huge selection of magazines and the newspaper to enjoy while you wait or eat. The manager came out right away to greet us, and we sat within minutes.
I got the Garden of Eden, an amazing egg scramble with a huge slice of multigrain (homeade) bread. I will mention that the pancakes were very lightly cooked and if you like yours browned, you may need to ask for that. They were cooked through, just an off white color and not browned. Well worth the time to seek it out!

Connecticut
“Tasty Cafe”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This Café was a very short walk from our hotel so I had to try it out. It was quite busy when we arrived for lunch. All of the tables were taken however we were shown to a small room off to the side and had our own private dining room. I had the alfresco salad and it was very good. The rest of my group had assorted sandwiches, quesadillas and soup which were enjoyed by all. This is a cute cafe with delicious food and excellent service. I need to return for that talked about breakfast.

Lodi, New Jersey
“Great...then not-so-great! Inconsistent...so sad...”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The Corner Café was one of the restaurants that I was most looking forward to on our trip to Newport. We had breakfast there on the first morning of our trip. My wife ordered an omelet (Dodgy Bob) that was simply incredible! The omelet was more on the well done side, so it held everything together perfectly. The potatoes that were served with it were cooked to perfection with a nice sharp crisp to them, and the Rye toast was good, too. I had the Alpine breakfast (pancakes with sausage cooked inside). They were good, but not over the top.

We decided to go back to Corner Café on our last morning in Newport. This time, my wife ordered the French Toast stuffed with fruit (it had grapes, blueberries, cantaloupe), and it was surrounded with whipped cream. Her breakfast was delicious, but the lower French Toast ended up soggy, while the top piece was nice and crisp. I decided to go for the sure thing, and I ordered an omelet based on my wife's experience during our first visit. Bad idea! My omelet was watery, and frankly inedible, and my potatoes were soggy. I am a HUGE breakfast fan, and I didn't even eat half my breakfast, but I did finish the Rye toast (I usually don't have room left for toast at breakfast).

Overall, the Corner Café was good, but disappointingly inconsistent. It is very obvious that they have multiple cooks, which typically creates a consistency problem. I do recommend dining here, but cautiously doing so!