“Tasty Cafe” 5 of 5 bubbles

Corner Cafe
Ranked #3 of 232 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Connecticut
“Tasty Cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

This Café was a very short walk from our hotel so I had to try it out. It was quite busy when we arrived for lunch. All of the tables were taken however we were shown to a small room off to the side and had our own private dining room. I had the alfresco salad and it was very good. The rest of my group had assorted sandwiches, quesadillas and soup which were enjoyed by all. This is a cute cafe with delicious food and excellent service. I need to return for that talked about breakfast.

Lodi, New Jersey
“Great...then not-so-great! Inconsistent...so sad...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

The Corner Café was one of the restaurants that I was most looking forward to on our trip to Newport. We had breakfast there on the first morning of our trip. My wife ordered an omelet (Dodgy Bob) that was simply incredible! The omelet was more on the well done side, so it held everything together perfectly. The potatoes that were served with it were cooked to perfection with a nice sharp crisp to them, and the Rye toast was good, too. I had the Alpine breakfast (pancakes with sausage cooked inside). They were good, but not over the top.

We decided to go back to Corner Café on our last morning in Newport. This time, my wife ordered the French Toast stuffed with fruit (it had grapes, blueberries, cantaloupe), and it was surrounded with whipped cream. Her breakfast was delicious, but the lower French Toast ended up soggy, while the top piece was nice and crisp. I decided to go for the sure thing, and I ordered an omelet based on my wife's experience during our first visit. Bad idea! My omelet was watery, and frankly inedible, and my potatoes were soggy. I am a HUGE breakfast fan, and I didn't even eat half my breakfast, but I did finish the Rye toast (I usually don't have room left for toast at breakfast).

Overall, the Corner Café was good, but disappointingly inconsistent. It is very obvious that they have multiple cooks, which typically creates a consistency problem. I do recommend dining here, but cautiously doing so!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“AMAZING Breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

My husband and I went here for breakfast and it was an awesome choice! The food was excellent, great coffee and even better service. Our food was brought to the table just as quickly as we ordered. The staff knew the menu very well and I can say the food was worth every penny!

• Visited March 2014
NC
“Worth the wait! Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Corner Cafe was recommended to us by a friend so we wanted to check it out. We'd almost given up on the long wait to get in (have you seen the Portlandia episode about brunch?), but luckily, we stuck it out. Wow! I think this is one of the best breakfasts I've had! Fantastic Greek omelette cooked just right, tasty (if ever so slightly too oily) potatoes and really good coffee. The kids enjoyed some wonderful french toast and eggs. Atmosphere is cute and cosy and the staff was great. I highly recommend holding out and having breakfast here.

• Visited March 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious wraps!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

We went for lunch and both ordered wraps. Husband had the Wild Bill's Carnivore Wrap with fries and I had the Uptown Wrap with salad. Nice that they offer a salad option instead of fries, but the salad should come on a separate plate to avoid the wrap getting soggy from the dressing. Both wraps were absolutely delicious. Best we've ever had. Great atmosphere. Would definitely go back next time we're in Newport.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Corner Cafe? Share your experiences!