“Great local breakfast nook.”
Review of Corner Cafe

Corner Cafe
Ranked #1 of 239 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Irish, Portuguese, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
New York City, New York
“Great local breakfast nook.”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Great food. A place where locals eat. The service is not always on par and sometimes there is a wait for a table. But good food from a local spot.

New Jersey
“Why the hype?!? NOT that good...”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I am writing this review about 20 minutes after visiting the corner cafe for breakfast on the morning of Tuesday August 2nd. When I am on vacation, I ALWAYS check the TripAdvisor ratings of restaurants, BEFORE I decide to choose a place to eat. The Corner Cafe was rated #9 in Newport, RI, which is pretty good considering there are A LOT of places to eat in Newport. I just had a bad experience at this eatery - when we walked in the door it took about 45 seconds for someone to even acknowledge us and tell us we can sit down wherever we like. After we sat down, my wife ordered a very simple dish of scrambled eggs, home fries, and toast, while I ordered a breakfast wrap with scrambled eggs, onions, peppers, WELL DONE BACON, jack cheese, sour cream and salsa. Although the restaurant was not crowded it took longer than expected, but my wife's food came out fine... On the other hand, mine was a disaster... The presentation was nice, but the bacon that I had made my server aware needed to be BURNT! Which I reiterated to her 2 or 3 times while placing my order, in which she acknowledge my request. Although, she did not write any of my requests down on paper. When my order finally came out and I started to eat my meal - I found the bacon to be actually semi-RAW, it was so under cooked it was liked rubber that I had to pull out of my mouth while I was chewing. Very disgusting to say the least! The waitress never came over to ask if everything was ok with our meal - I had to wave her down and tell her about the bacon. She said she would take it back and have a new one made. Now, It was not just the issue of the bacon, it was also the issue of the entire wrap having NO FLAVOR - it was terribly bland. My wife finished her breakfast, and I was sitting there waiting for almost 20 minutes after she finished for the correct order to come out. Being it that we are leaving today, we were in a hurry to get on the road. I had no choice to have my breakfast immediately boxed up. I am also annoyed at the lack of professionalism from the waitress - she never came over to me to tell me the status or to just let me know they are working on it... 20 Minutes is a long time to have a order be re-made. Nor did the waitress apologize, all she did was try to cover her butt and say to me "I told the cook to make it well done - he made the mistake". That's not what I want to hear... This was a terribly poor experience for me all around. I am unpleasantly surprised the TripAdvisor community has rated this such a great place. My experience was all around poor. I must say that at the Marriott where we stayed, they offered breakfast every morning, which was not a top notch, although I must say the variety they offer and the staff helpfulness was overall much better than paying $25 for a poor breakfast experience at the Corner Cafe. So for my experience I can only give 2 stars.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank mattbader
Fairfield, OH
“Did not live up to our expectations”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We went on a Saturday morning before it got busy, but we still had to wait for service. I had read on TA that some of the restaurants/servers in Newport show preferential treatment to locals over tourists, and that was the experience we had here. The gentleman who appeared to be the owner was behind the counter most of the time talking to friends / acquaintances, and occasionally ventured out to wait on customers in the dining area. I'm not against talking with your friends / regular customers, but someone needs to keep service moving for the other customers. We had to wait for our order to be taken, even though most of the tables were empty at that point, then we had to wait for our food. My husband ordered the regular french toast and a side of bacon, while I ordered the Portugese stuffed french toast, which is supposed to be one of their most popular dishes. My husband's french toast was made of thin bread and not filling enough for him, and he was trying not to finish it before he received his side of bacon, which was mostly fat and not very brown and came out about 15 minutes later, after he reminded another server that he was still waiting on it. The menu had said the Portugese stuffed french toast was served with seasonal fruit, which I thought would be the usual blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, but no, it was grapes, cantaloupe, and other melon! The thick bread was good, but I left most of the fruit, since to me, it just didn't taste right in french toast. Then we had to wait for the check, even though the restaurant had started to fill up by this time, and you would have thought they would want to get us out so they could get new customers seated. We occasionally get "held hostage" in restaurants, but it's frustrating when it happens on vacation because you want to be out seeing the sights instead of sitting in a restaurant half an hour longer than necessary. Since most of the other reviews are positive, I'm not saying this is a bad restaurant, but it was the slowest service we received in Newport ( and most other places), we didn't love what our meals, and we wished we'd gone elsewhere.

• Visited July 2011
Newport, RI
“Best Breakfast in Newport”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is my favorite place for breakfast in Newport. There is often a wait, but they are pretty quick with their service, so the line moves quickly. The food is fantastic, creative enough to take it a step above your normal breakfast menu. My fave is the portabella egg dish and the rashers. Their french toast is great too and the corned beef hash when they have it is a must.

Visited April 2011
Newport, Rhode Island
“Cozy, delicious and friendly”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Whenever my family visits from North Carolina and California the first place we go is The Corner Cafe. The kids like the sweet bread and the bacon is cooked perfectly. The Heathy Zone is great for us that are more careful....very creative! And the iced and hot coffee can't be beat. So we end up going almost everyday! And we love Jamie and his friendly family. Enjoy the round corner window table and time your visit so we can have it first!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Lonetagger

Been to Corner Cafe? Share your experiences!