“Up to expectations”
Review of Inns of Newport

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Inns of Newport
Ranked #41 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Evanston, Il
“Up to expectations”
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I knew from my very first conversation with Rick Farriack, that we had made the right choice among all of the B&B options in Newport. I gave him our dates of stay, the type of room and the price range we were hoping for and he responded that there would be no problem and he would take care of us upon our arrival. Like others, he gave us a choice of rooms and the first on exactly meet our needs....no reason to look further. The room was very clean and comfortably and probably most important, the air conditioner worked like a champ, as we arrived during a very hot spell.
Great location, short walk to resturants, including Starbucks (important to my wife), also shopping, art galleries, etc.
The thing I really enjoyed, was just walking around the neighborhood, taking in all of the historical structures, many of which have been lovingly restored I look forward to returning when I have more time to explore

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cromwell, Connecticut
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Clarkston and loved it. We spoke to Rick on the phone and was told that we could pick whatever room was available when we came. He suggested a room that was just lovely so we took the first room we looked at. It had a gorgeous king size sleigh bed and two seperate sinks in the marble bathroom. Everything was lovely and the staff were very nice. The room came with breakfast which was a plus. The best part of all is that we could walk anywhere downtown that we wanted and we had off street parking! A lovely stay at a great price! I would definitely go back!
Linda K. CT

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We travel a lot and stay at all types of hotels - usually 4 - 5 stars. Newport has become a favourite destination for weekend getaways and sailing regattas. Inns of Newport is a traditional B&B with comfortable, clean rooms with all the basic amenities you need. This is definitely not a Four Seasons resort but it is the perfect place if you are looking for something charming with a New England feel. The location is fantastic with an easy walk to shopping, restaurants and Bannister's wharf. Rick is always generous and attentive to us and makes us feel like a special guest. He makes a point of remembering guest's names and choosing the best room for your needs. The staff work hard to keep the hotel running smoothly and to ensure a good experience. We will definitely return for another stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I love Newport and have stayed in many wonderful upscale B&B's. This time we decided to try something Very affordable. As is my custom I spoke directly to the Hotel and asked some basic questions after seeing the properties on the Internet...Rich was very professional and friendly and offered me a choice of rooms. He claimed I could chose any room I wanted when we arrived. This seemed too good to be true but it was not....when we arrived and checked in, we decided we would rather have a different room and asked to see what was available. Turns out we got the Admirals Room in the Farragut Inn. Probably the largest room we ever had in Newport.
Do you want to walk 2 blocks to the best restaurants in Newport? And pay half price? Rich told me he believes in having a full house at half price rather than a half filled house at full price...GOOD THINKING.
Breakfast was great for anyone who loves eggs...French toast...or pancakes skillfully prepared and delicious. Not fancy...just good!
Oh, and by the way, the person who wrote about a cat smell...there are no pets allowed...what they were smelling is a plant that grows in the area.

Big pluses are numerous parking lots and once you find your favorite room...Rich will have it ready when you get there....NO problems. These are not properties in disrepair...they are being improved every day...I can't wait till my next stay

Room Tip: We liked the rooms with the wide floorboards
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ken R
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 29, 2013

There are 5 inns to choose from on a first come, best choice basis. I liked the concept of being able to have choices. The room was "serviceable". Small, the bed took up the entire room, small closet that a chair blocked from closing. The bathroom was up to date but the shower rod was tension held and fell on me. No air conditioning. We were on the 3rd floor in May and the room was hot. I can't imagine going there is summer months.
I had a Groupon rate, so I was fine, but would have been sorely disappointed if I'd paid rack rate.
The location, however, is wonderful- 1 block from Thames St, which is the heart of the town. It was great to be able to run in and out of town without driving.

Room Tip: Getting there early will help you have more choices of which inn and room you can get. Higher floor...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 23, 2013

THIS IS A RECOMMENDATION TO STAY AWAY My girlfriend and I decided to have a romantic night away in Newport, RI during the 2nd week of April 2013.

After searching some travel sites, we found The Wynstone, which is part of the Inns of Newport. Their website noted that the house has “just five deluxe guest rooms”, each of which features a working fireplace and a 2 person Jacuzzi. It sounded nice, so we called. While speaking with Rick Farrick, the owner, we inquired if they had any off-season specials. He asked us if the fireplace was something that we really wanted…when I told him that we didn’t care, he offered us The Belcourt room (king) at the queen rate of $209 because the **fireplace didn’t work and hadn’t for a while**. Nice looking place, acceptable rate, we were on our way.

When we arrived, Rick was friendly, giving us directions to the house and information about Restaurant Week. At that time, he also said that they had just turned the heat on in the room, so they put a space heater in the room to help warm things up. We headed over to the house and got to the room. HUGE bed, Jacuzzi, space heater, it all looked as advertised. We put our bags down and left for the afternoon and early evening. When we got back to our room after 9 PM, we found the space heater had been removed. OK…but the heat was supposed to be on, so no big deal. We went to shower and check out the Jacuzzi…NO HOT WATER. As we were pretty tired at that point, we decided just to go to bed, albeit disappointed. A few hours later, I awoke, chilled. I checked the thermostat. It was set to 72, but it was 61 in the room…NO HEAT. At 7 AM, I called the main number. Rick answered and I apprised him that there was no heat or hot water. He said that he’d be right over. About 45 minutes later, he called to say that we’d have hot water in 15 min. At that time, the heat did come on, but the room never heated up before we left for the included breakfast.

Joe, the manager who was working the kitchen, asked how our evening was. When I told him what had happened, he was quite concerned and indicated that he would speak with Rick about some sort of compensation and that they would in touch with me in a couple of days. When I hadn’t heard anything 3 days later, I followed up with Rick. He claimed that Joe never talked to him about our experiences, and that he felt that he didn’t owe us any compensation because we already had a discount rate (for the non-working fireplace) and because he bought us a Sunday newspaper to make up for not having heat or hot water. When I told him that was not acceptable and that I was expecting something more, he got very upset, told me never to call back and hung up on me.

Yes, that’s right, Rick Farrick, the owner of the hotel, lost his temper and hung up on me because I felt that we should get some money back since there was no heat or hot water in our room. Again, the room was nice and it may be fine during the high season, but they were NOT prepared for off season guests. Even at the “discounted” queen rate, the room was over $200 and we expected more…like heat and hot water.

I would NEVER stay at another Inns of Newport property again, especially after the way that Rick Farrick handled this situation !! (Joe was professional and courteous at all times...but he implied that any decisions would be up to Rick).

Room Tip: Be sure to inquire about the fireplace in the Belcourt Room if that matters to you, as the fireplace...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Jeff S
Attleboro, MA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Cleveland Inn 4/5-4/7. We found the inn to be in a great location and walking distance to just about everything. The owner Rick was very friendly and helpful making sure we had everything we needed. Room was spacious enough and clean. We would highly recommend staying at any of the Inns of Newport. We will be back for another visit! Can't wait!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple