“Great Loction, No Features”
Review of Inns of Newport

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Inns of Newport
Ranked #38 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 29, 2013

There are 5 inns to choose from on a first come, best choice basis. I liked the concept of being able to have choices. The room was "serviceable". Small, the bed took up the entire room, small closet that a chair blocked from closing. The bathroom was up to date but the shower rod was tension held and fell on me. No air conditioning. We were on the 3rd floor in May and the room was hot. I can't imagine going there is summer months.
I had a Groupon rate, so I was fine, but would have been sorely disappointed if I'd paid rack rate.
The location, however, is wonderful- 1 block from Thames St, which is the heart of the town. It was great to be able to run in and out of town without driving.

Room Tip: Getting there early will help you have more choices of which inn and room you can get. Higher floor...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 23, 2013

THIS IS A RECOMMENDATION TO STAY AWAY My girlfriend and I decided to have a romantic night away in Newport, RI during the 2nd week of April 2013.

After searching some travel sites, we found The Wynstone, which is part of the Inns of Newport. Their website noted that the house has “just five deluxe guest rooms”, each of which features a working fireplace and a 2 person Jacuzzi. It sounded nice, so we called. While speaking with Rick Farrick, the owner, we inquired if they had any off-season specials. He asked us if the fireplace was something that we really wanted…when I told him that we didn’t care, he offered us The Belcourt room (king) at the queen rate of $209 because the **fireplace didn’t work and hadn’t for a while**. Nice looking place, acceptable rate, we were on our way.

When we arrived, Rick was friendly, giving us directions to the house and information about Restaurant Week. At that time, he also said that they had just turned the heat on in the room, so they put a space heater in the room to help warm things up. We headed over to the house and got to the room. HUGE bed, Jacuzzi, space heater, it all looked as advertised. We put our bags down and left for the afternoon and early evening. When we got back to our room after 9 PM, we found the space heater had been removed. OK…but the heat was supposed to be on, so no big deal. We went to shower and check out the Jacuzzi…NO HOT WATER. As we were pretty tired at that point, we decided just to go to bed, albeit disappointed. A few hours later, I awoke, chilled. I checked the thermostat. It was set to 72, but it was 61 in the room…NO HEAT. At 7 AM, I called the main number. Rick answered and I apprised him that there was no heat or hot water. He said that he’d be right over. About 45 minutes later, he called to say that we’d have hot water in 15 min. At that time, the heat did come on, but the room never heated up before we left for the included breakfast.

Joe, the manager who was working the kitchen, asked how our evening was. When I told him what had happened, he was quite concerned and indicated that he would speak with Rick about some sort of compensation and that they would in touch with me in a couple of days. When I hadn’t heard anything 3 days later, I followed up with Rick. He claimed that Joe never talked to him about our experiences, and that he felt that he didn’t owe us any compensation because we already had a discount rate (for the non-working fireplace) and because he bought us a Sunday newspaper to make up for not having heat or hot water. When I told him that was not acceptable and that I was expecting something more, he got very upset, told me never to call back and hung up on me.

Yes, that’s right, Rick Farrick, the owner of the hotel, lost his temper and hung up on me because I felt that we should get some money back since there was no heat or hot water in our room. Again, the room was nice and it may be fine during the high season, but they were NOT prepared for off season guests. Even at the “discounted” queen rate, the room was over $200 and we expected more…like heat and hot water.

I would NEVER stay at another Inns of Newport property again, especially after the way that Rick Farrick handled this situation !! (Joe was professional and courteous at all times...but he implied that any decisions would be up to Rick).

Room Tip: Be sure to inquire about the fireplace in the Belcourt Room if that matters to you, as the fireplace...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Cleveland Inn 4/5-4/7. We found the inn to be in a great location and walking distance to just about everything. The owner Rick was very friendly and helpful making sure we had everything we needed. Room was spacious enough and clean. We would highly recommend staying at any of the Inns of Newport. We will be back for another visit! Can't wait!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Rick was a pleasure to deal with for all my booking needs (we had 4 rooms and the suite). Everyone in our party was very happy with all accomodations. Joe waited for me to arrive, which wasn't until almost 9:30pm, and made sure everything was ok prior to closing the office. He was attentive to any need and even accomodated us so the 10 of us were able to eat breakfast together. Monica was a pleasure, cooking & serving us all breakfast and kept the rooms very clean. The location of the Clarkston Inn could not have been any better as we were able to walk to everything. We had a wonderful weekend, could not have asked for anything more. We will definately be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Clarkeston House 2/1/13-2/3/13 using a Groupon (which in NO way affected the service) and loved every minute! We arrived early and were immediately greeted by wonderful Joe (who spotted us out of his window from another property) as we were walking up the street. While he promptly checked us in, Rick the owner, who was beyond friendly and helpful, showed us around the Inn and offered us a choice between 2 beautiful rooms; one was on the main floor, beautifully decorated and quite cozy. The other room (#8) on the 3rd floor was beyond charming; it had a brick fireplace, old hardwood floors and some antique furniture that felt like a throwback to the 1940's. That's not to say there weren't hotel type amenities our generation are used to; COMFY bed, large TV, bathroom which included toiletries, etc. Keep in mind building is older, so we could hear the guests below us, which was a bit awkward at times:-)

Joe gave us several restaurant tips (you MUST check out the Brick Alley Pub) in town, ideas for things to see and do, and options for nightlife. All of his recco's were bang on! You cannot beat the location as the Inn is just a few blocks to Thames St. (the main shopping area) and you're in walking distance from the bus depot which in incredible as we bused in from Boston and were able to walk to the Inn!

Rick confirmed at booking that because we had a Groupon, breaky was not included, which was fine as we already got a great deal. Reading the other TA reviews, we opted for breakfast at the Inn and were NOT disappointed! There was one other couple in the dining room, so we chose a seat right next to the fire, and ordered to our hearts content; we had french toast, bacon, eggs, sausage, pancakes, fresh juice and the woman cooking was not only a great cook, but a sweetheart!

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Clarkeston and if we're ever back in the area, that will be our first choice for accommodation!

Thanks again Rick and Joe (and staff!)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I just stayed at the Clarkeston Inn and everything about it exceeded our expectations! The Inn itself is a short walk to the downtown~the staff was extremely accommodating and even cleaned off our car for us after the snowstorm! The room was cozy and equipped with a fireplace~perfect for the getaway we were looking for. Thank you to the owner and staff for a really great place to spend the weekend!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at the clarkson back in August. I paid for part of it over the phone to hold my reservation and upon my arrival gave the owner my credit card to charge the rest. He took my card and went to his computer came back and said I was all set. It is now December and I receive an email that I wasn't charged for the second night. This is months after the fact and I was not expecting this expense. I explained the situation to them and asked if they would be willing to reduce the cost since this is months later and an unplanned expense. I was told that they were only emailing me to let me know that they would be charging my card.This is a poor way to do business.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sarah201287
ANewporter, Owner at Inns of Newport, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Through a review of guest receipts, we found that this guest had not been charged for the second night's stay. In processing the charge at a later date, we apologize for any inconvenience that this caused.