“Ulitimate Service and a great experience”

William Gyles Guesthouse
William Gyles Guesthouse
Reviewed November 22, 2009

We headed from Boston in the morning making phone call to book the room quite late (12hrs prior to arrival) which was no problem at all, however it was late Fall. During the conversation we were giving great traveling options for us to see along the way and evryone turned out to be perfect. The restraunt advice once we arrived was superb and the overall service in regards of things to do was amazing.
The room was very clean and comfortable to sleep in. Breakfast was simple and satisfying with a great discussion about the local area with Merrilee (owner).
Had a great time in Newport and it wouldn`t have been the same if we stayed somewhere else.

I will be heading back to this place with my girlfriend in the spring for sure.

Enjoy.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for William Gyles Guesthouse

Reviewed October 5, 2009

Marylee -the owner- is very helpful and nice, if there's no room in her house, she'll help you find one. Every night she walks you around Newport. Breakfast included. Ended up staying two nights longer than planned.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I felt right at home at the William Gyles Guesthouse. The owner Merrilee would be the best hostesses I have met. She is warm, friendly & passionate about the service she offers including local history and best things to do and see in Newport. Merrilee has a wealth of interesting information. I recommend the one day bike hire available to see the island and the night walk Merrilee personally takes her guests on.
Homely environment. I felt like I was one of the family, free to be in my own space when needed. Very clean & comfortable. Bed was great for sleeping. Quiet & safe location, walking distance to everywhere. I enjoyed a full, interesting & wonderful time at William Gyles Guesthouse with owner/operator Merrilee. I was well taken care of from the first point of contact.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 12, 2009

The world needs more guest houses like Merrilee's. There are no actual "hostels" in Newport so William Gyles is the only real option for a backpacker wanting to stay in the area, even though it blew my usual budget, expecially since I'd opted to stay there on 4th July.
Merrilee is lovely and will provide all the information you may need on the area. She took us down to a privilged view area on the harbour to see the fireworks next to the yachts and encouraged everyone to mingle in a family kind of atmosphere.
The room was on the ground floor and consisted of 3 single beds with an en suite. All very clean and homely after the hostels I had been staying in.
While I loved staying there I can understand the last reviewer's comments. On my first afternoon there I went out alone and got talking to some locals. Merrilee had earlier said that herself and some others would be going out for something to eat at a certain time and invited me to tag along if I wanted. I didn't make it because I was busy chatting. The next day I felt a bit out of it and almost like a naughty schoolgirl for not having joined in.
When I said the world needs more guest houses like the William Gyles I meant it. Merrilee offers a home from home: clean, comfortable, with an abundance of local knowledge, and small enough for all the guests to get to know each other. That said, it has to be understood that some people wish to stick to their own agenda sometimes and not necessarily have every aspect of their trip organised for them. I'd been travelling on my own for 6 months by this time and had grown to love my independence.
I don't wish to end on a negative note, since overall this is a great place. Thanks, Merrilee, for your advice, hospitality and enthusiasm.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed July 8, 2008

We booked one of the private rooms at the William Gyles Hostel. The price was far better than at many neighboring B&Bs, and the location was ideal. The hostel is in a typical colonial Newport house; a historic property, which was a plus.
The room itself was basic but quaint, and very clean. We were provided with clean sheets and blankets to put on the bed ourselves; the fitted sheet was unfortunately not large enough for the mattress, but this wasn't a big deal. There was no AC, but on a particularly hot night, the owner provided (unasked) a portable fan, which was very thoughtful.
No alcohol is allowed on the premises, which wasn't an issue for us, but might be for some other people - no sharing a bottle of wine in your room. (The rule is due to insurance reasons, not 'moral' issues).
No non-guests are allowed in the rooms - which meant that my family members couldn't come up to the room to pick up gifts I'd brought for them or have a conversation.
There's officially no curfew, however, when we were heading out for dinner at 9:30pm on a weekend, the owner made a negative comment about how "this is awfully late to be going out." This is in a neighborhood which is bustling and busy till at least 2am. Also, it was virtually impossible to come and go at any time of day or night without some sort of comment or inquiry, or without feeling 'watched'. As we were going out in the afternoon, the owner rushed out of her room to catch us (for no reason) so fast that she tripped and fell. She also shared personal information about other guests with us that we felt was unnecessary and intrusive to their privacy. I thought about not posting this, but if the owner was just a little bit more 'hands-off', this would be a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank e.vill.
Reviewed June 23, 2008

This is an odd review as I haven't stayed at the hostel. However, I wanted to write something because I badly needed somewhere to stay in Newport at a very busy time, having been let down. Merrilee of the William Gyles Guesthouse was amazing. She arranged for me to stay at the hostel and was very helpful about all the arrangements, and remained delightful when I was offered a room where I was working. I also recommend the hostel website which is very useful on facts like how to reach Newport. I don't know what the other Newport hotels are like but I doubt you'll find a better hotelier.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed May 20, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the William Gyles Guesthouse in early May, before the town's tourist season had gotten into full gear. We had a very relaxing few days and an opportunity to see the town during a rather low-key time.

The owner of the hostel, Merrilee really takes the time to make sure guests see what Newport has to offer. She has itinerary suggestions for each visitor based on how long he or she has to spend in Newport. She also offers free walking tours each night that help visitors get acquainted with the geography and history of the area, all from an insider's perspective. My belief is that as she herself travels using hostels throughout the world, she really knows what people need and expect from a quality hostel.

The hostel itself is very clean and well managed. I found the accomodations to be very charming and comfortable. The hostel itself is in the heart of Newport and most sites are accessible on foot or via one of the bicycles available for rental at the hostel.

I would definitely make a return trip!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank appleson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
#5 of 6 in North Kingstown
Castle Hill Inn
Castle Hill Inn
#2 of 21 in Newport

Been to William Gyles Guesthouse? Share your experiences!