“4th of July Week” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Stratford, Connecticut
“4th of July Week”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our third visit to this property. Our group of two married couples enjoy this location on the harbor. We were easily able to view the fabulous fireworks on the 4th. The staff are very friendly and helpful. They were most willing to share their recommended restaurants. The Wellington is in a great location and the units are clean and well stocked. Although the televisions are somewhat dated, the beautiful pool(s), landscaping, friendly guests, and staff made this resort a most pleasant stay for us. On site free parking is definitely a "plus". There are even grills available for outdoor cooking. Just remember to bring or purchase charcoal. We are anxious to return for restaurant week!!!

Room Tip: Units #518 and 536 can easily accommodate 6 people. They are is a very desirable area of this resort...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alberta C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The location is great, the view is great, the rooms were spacious, so I shouldn't really complain, but i will...

I am a long time Hilton timeshare owner, so maybe I am spoiled, but this place touts itself as a top of the line resort and it really isn't. We checked into our room only to discover the A/C was not working. After suffering through a muggy summer night, they eventually told us it could not be fixed, and our options were to simply suffer, or move to another room. So we packed it all up and moved... losing just about a full day of our vacation in the process. The staff offered apology, but nothing else to compensate.

The HVAC unit was so loud it kept the kids awake.

While spacious - our two bedroom unit was maybe 700 square feet - roughly half was hallways... it seemed like an excessive waste of space.

The deck - while nice to have - was small and not really useful.

The Formica on the kitchen counter was chipped . Not terrible, but not "top of the line..."

The towels? Ever been to Motel 6? I don't need a marble bathroom to define luxury, all I really ask for is a decent towels, and TP that doesn't dissolve when I touch it. These guys score a big zero in that respect.

I'm still giving four stars - it wasn't that bad. I just feel it's important to set expectations.

Room Tip: As far as I can tell, every room has a great view. I did notice the top floors have smaller terraces...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BillyRaySunshine
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Had a great stay at The Wellington this past Memorial Day weekend. There were 5 of us in a 2-bedroom suite and we all loved it! The suite was fantastic-clean, spacious, comfortable and great views!! Great location--shops, restaurants & bars just a short walk away. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I Wwll absolutley be returning!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kate B
Manchester Ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our group of two adults and two children stayed at the Wellington as guests of a family friend who has a timeshare there.
It is a great location on the harbor and short walk to shopping and the restaurants on Thames.

The unit was very clean and had everything we needed, even a working fireplace. A small terrace overlooking the harbor perfect for drinking a morning coffee or having a cocktail.

The staff is friendly and accommodating. A very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Polynyas
Bedford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is our third year of spending a week at the Wellington. The staff is friendly and helpful, the landscaping and grounds are immaculate, the pool and fitness room and locker rooms are clean and well-maintained. We love this little piece of heaven and enjoy drinking our cup of coffee on the deck every morning facing the ocean. We also enjoy talking on the deck facing the ocean in the evening. The convenience of being within ealking distance to the shops, restaurants, and attractions is incomparable. To be able to walk down the deck to the sidewalk by the ocean is incredible. If you have never stayed here, you don't know what you are missing. Enjoy the best of Newport right at the water's edge: stay at the Wellington.

Room Tip: Choose first floor for convenience, although an elevator is available as well as stairs. Choose a hi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nance_46
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I have been owners at this resort for about 7 years now, and we love to go every year. I haven't exchanged it once as I enjoy Newport and the resort is great.

I have to say that the resort has needed a little updating in the past, but it's getting done. All units have new carpets and paint, flat screen TVs in the living room and I understand new wallpaper will be going up next. I have other timeshares, so I don't expect housekeeping to come during the week unless I pay extra. Starter supplies are given, and again this is fine by me.

The unit is huge, and I especially like the washer/dryer in the unit and the fireplace. You can walk to many shops and restaurants, and the mansions are just a short drive away. One shopkeeper told me that this is the best resort in Newport, and I believe it. We can see the Narragansett Bay and Newport Bridge from our deck.

I'm going again in May, and I can hardly wait.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DisneyDiane
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have to disagree with the negative reviews on the friendliness of the staff and the units.

I had the good fortune to visit this location many years ago and was luckily to get a week there again in Feb. It was during a blizzard (NE nor'easter!) and the work the staff (etc,) did to clean up the snow and esp. their concern and initiative in making sure they checked in with us, made sure we had fire logs and even something warm to drink exceeded what we expected. Kudos to all (esp. Ally (?), Maddie, and Rachel) and your manager for making our stay exceptional! I gave a rating of excellent based on the overall experience and the helpfulness of the staff.

Yes, it is a timeshare where they give you some starter items like detergent for the laundry, dishwasher, soap and TP and then you have to get your own stuff if you use more, but the kitchens are well supplied with applicances, dishes, etc. The reason there is no stove is due ot some town ordinance, but there is a large toaster, electric frying pan and microwave and there are some very nice places to eat like @the Deck, Zelda's (the locals hit the Handy Cafe) that's pretty close and the walk is not far to center of town...Bannister wharf area...we walked all the way to the Newport bridge and other areas with lots of snow and did not find it at all stressful since Newport is fairly flat.
As for the units, there have been some recent updates - flatscreen in the living / dining areas, (they let you borrow DVDs etc.) and new rugs. It was pretty clean on arrival and you can pay more for maid service if you want the daily clean-up, but we don't mind doing things for ourselves, esp. being there for a whole week. The heated pool was a nice place to swim in Feb. and practically empty.

I would suggest improvements for better blankets & pillows but I am sure that will be addressed in the future. All the bed coverings seem fairly new and the linens provided were fine.

You can't beat the view, location and people, and it's close to the Thames Glass studio - go take a lesson and blow your own glass ornament!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple