All reviewstoaster ovenindoor poolliving roomhuge kitchenpartial kitchenlooked brand newquiet endmain bathroomnewport bridgeoff seasonwasher and dryertwo twin bedscoffee potthe dining room tableexercise roomcouple of nightsoverlooking the water
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I have been owners at this resort for about 7 years now, and we love to go every year. I haven't exchanged it once as I enjoy Newport and the resort is great.

I have to say that the resort has needed a little updating in the past, but it's getting done. All units have new carpets and paint, flat screen TVs in the living room and I understand new wallpaper will be going up next. I have other timeshares, so I don't expect housekeeping to come during the week unless I pay extra. Starter supplies are given, and again this is fine by me.

The unit is huge, and I especially like the washer/dryer in the unit and the fireplace. You can walk to many shops and restaurants, and the mansions are just a short drive away. One shopkeeper told me that this is the best resort in Newport, and I believe it. We can see the Narragansett Bay and Newport Bridge from our deck.

I'm going again in May, and I can hardly wait.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DisneyDiane
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have to disagree with the negative reviews on the friendliness of the staff and the units.

I had the good fortune to visit this location many years ago and was luckily to get a week there again in Feb. It was during a blizzard (NE nor'easter!) and the work the staff (etc,) did to clean up the snow and esp. their concern and initiative in making sure they checked in with us, made sure we had fire logs and even something warm to drink exceeded what we expected. Kudos to all (esp. Ally (?), Maddie, and Rachel) and your manager for making our stay exceptional! I gave a rating of excellent based on the overall experience and the helpfulness of the staff.

Yes, it is a timeshare where they give you some starter items like detergent for the laundry, dishwasher, soap and TP and then you have to get your own stuff if you use more, but the kitchens are well supplied with applicances, dishes, etc. The reason there is no stove is due ot some town ordinance, but there is a large toaster, electric frying pan and microwave and there are some very nice places to eat like @the Deck, Zelda's (the locals hit the Handy Cafe) that's pretty close and the walk is not far to center of town...Bannister wharf area...we walked all the way to the Newport bridge and other areas with lots of snow and did not find it at all stressful since Newport is fairly flat.
As for the units, there have been some recent updates - flatscreen in the living / dining areas, (they let you borrow DVDs etc.) and new rugs. It was pretty clean on arrival and you can pay more for maid service if you want the daily clean-up, but we don't mind doing things for ourselves, esp. being there for a whole week. The heated pool was a nice place to swim in Feb. and practically empty.

I would suggest improvements for better blankets & pillows but I am sure that will be addressed in the future. All the bed coverings seem fairly new and the linens provided were fine.

You can't beat the view, location and people, and it's close to the Thames Glass studio - go take a lesson and blow your own glass ornament!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JbugBoston
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We have stayed at the Wellington 3 years in a row in November. The property is nice and time share units are pretty good. In the past we have been in building 5 which has a much better view and a better layout of the unit. There is a fire place in the unit. They used to supply duraflame log, but we had to purchase our own. Stll, a great stay and not any more pricey for a whole unit than for a 1 room hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank winter64
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband and I stay at the Wellington every year. Often we have company stay overnight for a couple of nights. The staff is very helpful and friendly, the 2 bedroom apartment is huge and spotless and even includes a clothes washer and dryer. The location of the Wellington is wonderful, within walking distance to everything (we're walkers), and yet it's on the quiet end of Thames St. And although there is no stove, there are small appliances and full size fridge. Most days we eat out once a day and prepare the rest of our meals in the apartment. The rate is $350 per night in the fall and when you consider all that you get for that fee, it's a very moderate price to pay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Rita C
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I chose the Wellington based on reviews on TA and feel that we made a great choice. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath in Bldg 5 on the first floor and had a great view of the harbor and the Newport/Pell Bridge. Our unit had recently been painted and had new carpeting. Easy access to both the indoor and outdoor pools although we didn't have time to enjoy them. We did not cook in our unit but everything was there if you wanted to. We stayed for 4 nights and ate out all of our meals but saw lots of families cooking on the outdoor barbecue grills near the pool area. it was a short walk to the downtown wharf area and actually not a bad walk to the mansions and the cliff walk. Everyone was very friendly at the clubhouse where you check in. Daily maid service is not provided but with 4 adults, we didn't miss it at all! The grounds were well maintained and our unit was spotless. Can't wait to visit next year!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family