“Enjoyable on a rainy day”

Newport Historical Society Walking Tours
Ranked #30 of 57 Tours in Newport
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I took the Colonial Newport walking tour on 7th June. Because of the persistent drizzle, there were only 3 people on the tour. The docent, Martha, was excellent and provided several anecdotes as we traipsed through the rain visiting Newport's impressive historical center. One of the other tourists was obviously well acquainted with Newport history and kept cutting in with his own remarks. I found this rather off-putting, but, to her credit, Martha handled it well.

1  Thank Jaytara

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We did the Golden to Gilded tour on Saturday morning. Great overview of the social transition from the colonial times to the Gilded Age.
On Sunday, we took the Discover Colonial Newport tour. It ended up being almost 2 hours as the guide answered questions and toke lots of time to share stories. We got to tour the Great Friends Meeting House as well. Learning about the religious diversity of Newport's early days was fascinating. There is also a synagogue that you can tour, although we didn't have time.
The Colonial history tour was my favourite. You really get a good sense of the story behind Newport.

1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had a really fun time on the Holiday Lantern Tour. It focused on the history of Newport in terms of holiday traditions - a great way to enjoy the city at this time of year. The guide was pleasant, knowledgeable, and well-spoken. I would definitely try another one of their tours in the future.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I live local and my 2 year old had swimming lessons and I wanted to take the kids to do something outside after and had seen these tours offered on line. I took my 9 year old son and 2 year old daughter on this tour.

We did the rouges and scoundrel tour, we met the guide at the historical society and our group of 10 headed out. The guide was very informative and a great story teller. She knew the area and was able to go off script on a few occasions and was able to answer everyone's questions. She was able to bring the history to life for my 9 year old and he had lots of questions that were answered. We covered all forms of rouges and scoundrels from pirates to murderers and thiefs and counterfeits right down to worst, most scary of them all the Rhode Island politician.It was amazing how some of the things from the 1600s still happen today.

The good thing with colonial Newport is everything was fairly close together so the walk is very reasonable. We saw a number of sites to include the jailhouse, the Whitehorse Tavern, the governors graveyard, the Quaker meeting house, Washington square, trinity church and other sites as well.

We had a stroller and it was ok but some of the streets and sidewalks were in rough shape. This would be a challanging tour for someone in wheelchair or with a scooter. There was a woman in our group in her late 80s who walked it with no issues but needed a little help on some of the sidewalks under construction.

All in all a great tour very informative and really well done by the guide. Well worth the ticket price. We plan on doing some of thier other tours as well. This would be a great trip for school or scouts to learn about history.

3  Thank Thomas D
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The young (20ish) tour guide was very informative. He was able to answer our questions. It was a good pace and he would stop and wait for us to gather around him to do his talking.