Almondy Inn
Grace Vanderbilt(Newport)
Hotel Viking(Newport)
The Attwater(Newport)
View Hotel
All reviewsplantation roomwine and cheeselanai suiteblue bayoff street parkingbreakfast was deliciouseach morningfellow guestsdining tablebed breakfastwalking distancefour poster bedrestaurants and shoppingdowntown newportwonderful stayfront porchthe cliff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 7, 2009

We stayed at the Almondy Inn for two nights in late September. We chose this primarily because of all the wonderful reviews on TripAdvisor and the reviewers could not have been more correct. The Almondy is in a fantastic location, walking distance to almost everything (except the mansions and ocean drive, of course), with off street parking. We stayed in the Sunset room. I agree with others that it is a bit noisy because of it's proximity to a bar/nightclub, but also because it is directly over the kitchen (we were awakened both mornings a little too early by the sounds of pots and pans clanking) - but this minor inconvenience was not enough to tarnish the trip for us. We will just bring earplugs next time.
There are extra touches everywhere, from the books, magazines and newspapers to read, to the bottled water in the room, to the IPOD-friendly radio/alarm clock in the room.
I also recommend the wine and cheese hour. We went both nights and had great conversation with couples from all over the world. The gourmet breakfasts were phenomenal - we weren't even hungry for lunch! We definitely recommend this Inn.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2009

My husband and I received a 2-night stay at the Almondy Inn as a wedding gift from a relative. I emailed the Inn ahead of time to ask if they had restaurant recommendations so we could make a Saturday night reservation. I received a very prompt email in return with a list of some of their favorites (we went to The Mooring, reviewed separately).

The Inn is located directly off of Thames street, right in the middle of all of the great shopping and restaurants, and directly across from the wharf. It was a great location - we did hear the music from the club on the corner on Saturday night (as another reviewer mentioned) so if you are sensitive to noise at night, bring earplugs. I had no trouble with it, but my husband would have if he hadn't happened to have earplugs with him. It is an easy drive to Bellevue Ave, where all of the mansions are. The Inn has parking for 1 car per room.

The house itself is beautiful, safe, and cool. We stayed in the Plantation Room. It was a pretty room, tastefully decorated, with a very comfy king-size bed and a flat screen tv with a DVD player (and a nice DVD library downstairs). The room was small, but that was fine with us. The bathroom is nice with a jacuzzi tub. There is free wifi available. My only complaint was that the windows didn't open.

Breakfast is from 8:30-10, I think (we never made it down before 9:30). The food was great! First morning was fresh muffins, poached egg inside a little ham cup, with an english muffin and fruit. Second morning was fresh muffins again, a chorizo omelet (yummy!!) with a fresh biscuit, and fresh fruit. Plenty of coffee and orange juice, and beautiful sterling silver serving pieces. Wine and cheese are served between 5-6 (I think) every afternoon for the guests in the Inn, but we didn't make it to any of these.

Evelyne and Herber are excellent hosts - very friendly and accommodating. I look forward to staying there again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2009

I would have given the Almondy Inn 5 stars, but the only issue was that it's so close to Thames street and all the bars that we could hear the live music in our room! Although many guests would enjoy that entertainment, at the end of a long night my fiance and I wanted peace and quiet. Other than that, this charming little bed and breakfast was an absolute delight! Evelyn, the hostess, was fabulous, and her breakfast was incredible EVERY morning (chorizo omelets, chocolate croissants, fresh muffins)! Evelyn even accomodated my fiance who is not an egg fan and offered to make him fresh pancakes every morning! He declined but was given fresh fruit and cereal instead- he enjoyed it. We were in the sunset room and the view was of the wharf. The room was adorable, clean and beautifuly decorated. The bathroom was remodeled and provided great amenities, hair dryer, shampoo/conditioner, soap, etc. An iron/ironing board was also included in the closet which came in handy. Overall, it was a great weekend, especially since the Inn is located near EVERYTHING in Newport! Evelyn had great insight in the mansion tours, and I recommend those as well! We would definitely stay here again and recommend others to do so as well.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2009

We had a very pleasant stay at The Almondy B&B. The location was perfect; you cannot get any closer to the downtown area! We were able to check in, park our car and then walk everywhere for our whole stay. The B&B is beautiful; we started our stay in the Plantation room which had an extremely comfortable bed and a view of the harbor. Then Evelyn the innkeeper was so sweet and upgraded us to The Burgundy Room, which was gorgeous! Very spacious, another extremely comfortable bed and a fireplace (very romantic)! Evelyn’s breakfasts were scrumptious and she was extremely helpful in suggesting restaurants, things to do in the area and providing driving directions. We would absolutely recommend the Almondy B&B.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2008

My husband and I usually stay at the Samuel Durfee House in Newport, but to our dismay, they were completely booked during the second weekend of November. A few of our friends had stayed at the Almondy Inn during our wedding in Newport in 2007 and they all said they enjoyed their stay there. So we decided to give it a shot.

We were greeted by the innkeeper, Evelyne, who was extremely gracious and immediately made us feel at home. We booked the Lanai Suite online and was impressed with our room. King sized bed, comfortable sheets, a small balcony with a view of the town, huge bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, and another small/sitting room where you can change clothes, read, or do some work as they had a desk there. Sorry folks, I wish I had taken pictures of the room!

Evelyne served quiche lorraine on Saturday with fresh fruit, coffeee, juice, and pain au chocalates. We missed Sunday breakfast as my husband and I had brunch reservations at Castle Hill, where we got married. Anyway, we heard that the Almondy Inn was going to serve eggs benedict. Oh well, next time!

The inn is in a perfect location to all of the main shops and restaurants. Our only tiny complaint was that the inn is very close to the bar/club next door and there were 2 men arguing outside for a good 15 minutes after 1AM. Needless to say, it was difficult to get some sleep that night.

Overall, we would absolutely come back to the Almondy Inn. We can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)