“Dirty, Dirty, Dirty....”

Wyndham Long Wharf Resort
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 20, 2010

While the location we felt was great, the facility was filthy. Our children's feet were black from walking around the unit we rented without shoes. When they wore socks, the socks turned black (so gross I threw them out). Washer and dryer did not work properly, was "fixed" by staff during our stay, but it never quite dried the clothes. Cleanliness of unit was brought to staff's attention, housekeeping was sent but never vacuumed or mopped the floor, just made beds and refreshed towels. Pool was not clean, slide for pool was in disrepair the entire stay. Other children at pool were unsupervised. Not a good scene at all.

2  Thank RichiesChic
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Long Wharf Resort

Reviewed September 16, 2010

Just came back from week at Longwharf. I have to say the place is in serious need of renovations. Our windowsill was cracked in half. The same window on the exterior, the window trim was hanging off. The master shower you were not able to slide one side of the glass door open. The couch was tired and worn. New flat screen tv but reception was very poor. Wirless came and went all week long. The bathroom doors and walls were dirty and needed a good cleaning or painting. When we arrived the room smelled of smoke and we requested another room. Staff was not able to help us nor were they very helpful. We are timeshare owners and had not been back to the resort in 2 years and we could see a huge difference. You can hear every toilet in the surrounding rooms flush all night long, very loud. The location is awesome, the staff for the most part were very nice and we were happy to see new lounge chairs around the pool. Its not a 5 star resort but its not a 2 star resort either.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank klf53
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I recently stayed at this resort and upon arriving it looked as pretty as the pictures. Upon entering the lobby it was still just as cozy. We were given our cards and room location. Upon parking and entering the rear lobby I was in shock. First we couldn't get in the back door until we punched in the code four times. Upon entering I thought I had entered the wrong building. The hallway was filthy,the walls were all marked up, the carpets were stained, and when we arrived at our door it had several black scuff marks all over it. We did notice a cleaning cart there as we had to walk around it for 3 days. When we opened the door we were greeted with very large noticable stains on the carpet and stain on the furniture.We had invited a very large client of mine down for a few days of R+R and after realizing that internet access was iffy and the guest bedroom had no TV or even a clock and best of all was having to tell him he would have to park his $80,000 Mercedes down the street where it is posted with we are not responsible signs. I had no choice but to make other arrangements for there lodging. Other problems I found being a Plumbing contractor was the shower valve in master bath has no stop, it rotates 360 degrees, the valve in the main bath is crossed, if you want hot you put it on cold, and if you are a light sleeper you will love the turbine air sound that comes from the HVAC unit. We ended up checking out 11/2 days early. My strong recommendation to Wyndham is start checking your units after each rental w/qualified personnel and stop waiting for new renters to do it for you, or change that beautiful sign on front to Motel 6

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank prestige363
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Stayed here for two days. Was promised free wireless in the room. First day had virtually no wireless until evening, second day none, third day none. Called service the first day, no one came. Was told to go to nearby internet cafe if I was in dire need. Talked to manager who blamed me for not calling their service sooner even though he had told me that there was nothing they could do since it was likely a service issue. Called manager again after my stay to complain, promised to send me a certificate for another stay. Never did. I left two messages on his voicemail never called back. Would not stay here again. Internet is essential for business or vacation and any hotel that does not value customer service or customer will not get my business again. Broken promises all over the place. Accommodations were nice.

1  Thank bosgirl123
Reviewed September 4, 2010

I stayed in a harbor view unit and I have to say it was the best unit I ever stayed in. Complety updated 2b, 2b duplex it had it all. The grounds were in great shape too. This staff is the best ever if you need anything just ask they have been inpowered by Manager Mike to make your stay memorable . In my book this resort is a (10)Great Stay Thank you Mike!!! *When you find a special place you always return*

2  Thank newenglandusa
Reviewed August 15, 2010

I've been coming for years. This is my first review, mostly because I think this year there were a lot of changes for the better.

The good:

Rooms - we used to stay in the main building, but more recently ended up in the townhouses. We loved our 2BR 2 BA townhouse! It felt like being in a real home and there was more privacy. We had a balcony that while small, did the trick and made it really nice to sit out and people watch. True, it was somewhat apart from the main scene, as we had to cross the parking lot to get to the pool/grills/main building, but it was not at all a far walk and it was nice being "apart". The difference is that these are up-down units, and only 1 bathroom is on the 2nd floor (with both bedrooms), while the ones in the main building are all on one floor and the master bedroom has its own bathroom IN the bedroom so you never have to come out to use the loo. All the furniture, appliances, everything was renovated and much improved. Icemaker, washer-dryer (last I knew the units in the main building didn't have washer-dryers, they had a laundry room with pay w/d on each floor), flat screens, DVD player, everything beautiful. I also noticed there was a safe in the main bedroom - we didn't use it but as a frequent traveler I often do use them and knowing it was there was nice. I thought the bed was a bit soft but my husband LOVED it. There is free wifi throughout which is a HUGE improvement (years ago we had to pay for it), it is fast and works well. Although housekeeping only came in on Monday, there were plenty of provisions (detergents, trash bags, towels, TP, etc) and a place for us to put our recycling and trash if it filled up.

Property management, activities and accommodation - I was also very impressed with the staff this year. Everyone was really friendly and went, I felt, over and above. For example, one of the front desk people called us to let us know it had begun to rain and we'd left our convertible top down. We checked in early but the room wasn't ready, they took our number to call us when it was. When there were complaints about people coming down as soon as the pool opened to drop the resort's towels on chairs to "save" them even though there was no sign of them or their things even an hour later, management removed the towels to free up the chairs. When our friends came to visit with their 2 kids and brought only one pack-and-play for the baby but learned the toddler wanted to sleep in it too, staff brought a loaner pack-and-play almost immediately for them. When we asked the best place to get a bit of mustard - we didn't want to walk over to almost lower Thames to that store and we didn't want to drive to Admiral Kalbfus - they were going to check their own Wyndham fridge to see if they had any. (We told them not to worry about it.) Also, there were loads of activities this time, yes it's family-oriented but there were more for adults than there have been in the past. There were morning walks, "muffins and mimosas" poolside, wine and cheese, a social, and other events. And the movies, which in the past were more geared to kids, now have an early kids movie and a later adult movie (I don't mean ADULT movie, I mean a regular movie, for adults).

Grounds - We love the Broilmaster gas grills they have, there was never a line for them and they were always clean and nice. The picnic area adjacent is also a nice place to hang out - I saw people on their computers there as well as pool-oriented families dining and people partying there at night. Only thing is, the grills close at 10, I'm sure it's for liability but we generally don't eat until 10 so for us it's hard to make sure we've got time to grill! (We've been coming so long we don't need to eat out at restaurants every night.) The pools - one is indoor-outdoor and has a slide, so it's pretty kid-friendly. I think it's heated in winter, and there's an indoor and outdoor hot tub. The other one is rectangular and much newer, it is a good pool for lap swimming. Each has a pretty nice awning to hang out under if you are lucky enough to snag it. There are all brand new chairs and tables but they need more! People didn't use to hang around the pool all day the way they do now, so there's not as much turnover as there used to be. The rest of the grounds are well maintained and attractive. There's a game room but I'm not a kid so I didn't go in there! Also new this year is a convenience store, which is great to have. The fitness center is pretty decent and open 24 hours which is a nice asset. (Only problem is there's no excuse that it was closed so working out wasn't possible!)

Location - I don't have to go into this as many people already have. It's fantastic. Close to Goat Island where you can sail and fish, close to the water taxi, close to the baseball stadium where you can watch amateur games 2-3 nights a week, walkable to Truro Synogague, Bellevue Ave., Upper and Lower Thames, the water taxi to Fort Adams, Jamestown and Rose Island, Brick Market Place, restaurants, Bowen's and Barrister's Wharves, the historical cemetery, etc. And what's also nice about the location is, if you go to Middletown, Admiral Kalbfus or other areas not in downtown touristy Newport, you don't have to wait in the America's Cup Ave. traffic because you are really, really close to Farewell St.

The not as good, or at least be aware:

Check in/check out times and organization - We arrived the night before check in (intentionally) and checked in about 10 in the morning - of course check in isn't until the afternoon, but I was glad we got the paperwork out of the way. Check in is actually at 4 in the afternoon, which I think is really too late, especially since we have to be out by 11 in the morning at the end. So you don't really get to have a Friday there if you are staying a week. At about 3:30 the registration area was mobbed with people checking in and waiting in line. We walked up and just got our keys since we'd already done the paperwork before. As early as 9:30 housekeeping was knocking on our door - not once, but at least 3 or 4 times before we departed at 10:30 - to see if we were leaving yet, which I found mildly bothersome. Also just an FYI, the "about the property" book is a little outdated. There is reference to getting tickets at discounted prices that they don't do anymore, and the Astor's Beechwood activities, which was recently sold and is now private and doesn't do the activities anymore.

Related to checking in and out, is the moving in and out process. They have a very nice system at the outset - these luggage carts that you can put everything on and take up in one move. But there aren't enough of them, and people take them from the townhouses and bring them up to the main building. And they also hog them - grabbing them the night before and keeping them in their unit until they're ready to move out. We learned that we hardly need that many clothes as we keep wearing the same thing over and over, so we didn't have use of a cart - THIS year.

Pool area issues - again this was more about people hogging pool chairs at 9 a.m. but not coming down until noon and there not being enough chairs to go around (people were laying on the floor the days I was at the pool). I agree with previous posters who said the pool could use updating (or even expansion). There were also some people who were just obnoxious, splashing hard and kicking people with their splashing regardless of the fact that people might not have wanted to be splashed (a couple of really young kids on the edge afraid of the water, a baby in parent's arms, someone reading a book at the edge, two people wearing contacts) - that's the people, not the Wyndham, though. I think if I needed to complain they would have done something but I ended up not needing to. One suggestion I would make is that they have some times that are adult-only swim times in the pools. In many private pool clubs it's 15 minutes every hour that the kids have to leave. Maybe it would be helpful for one pool to be an adult-only pool for certain designated hours, or a portion of the big pool reserved for adults certain hours, or even staggering the 15 minutes per hour or making it otherwise so that half an hour every hour in one of the pools is adult only?

Issues with kids (granted, this is more the people who stay here) - Just because this is such a family-oriented place, there are a lot of kids. And while many are well behaved, many are not - this has been an issue every year, actually. It's not the resort, it's the kids and their parents who either won't parent their kids or who have conveyed a sense of entitlement to their kids so the kids think that certain behaviors are okay when they are definitely NOT okay. If you are a parent reading this and planning a visit be mindful that not everyone thinks your kids do no wrong even if you do!

Parking - This has always, always been a problem. They allow one car per unit for the 2-BR units and two cars for the 3-BR units. Of course when you have 2 couples in the 2-BR units, I think both should be able to park. But this has been their rule forever. We were there over Jazz Festival weekend, which I think is the worst, most crowded time for parking. What they did do this year, which wasn't bad, was $12 parking pass for 24 hours in their parking lot on the Inn on Long Wharf, across the street. Street parking is 9-9 and $1 an hour but you're supposed to move every 3 hours, so this was much better than worrying about feeding the meter, moving the car, etc. And what happened when our guests came was, people had parked without permits in that other lot that they had to tow, so they told our guests to just park in the main lot (ours), and that Security knew that there were cars from both places parked randomly in both lots. They parked there the whole time until they left and it was totally fine.

Pets - Pets are NOT ALLOWED. (I've asked that there be pets allowed for years!) Please contact me if you would like information about places and people that can accommodate your fur and feather babies when you are here. We've brought ours up with us and set them up as well.

I'm very, very impressed with the improvements they've made here and hope they keep coming - I'd love to see more activities for adults! I am quaking with excitement each time I think about going back up next year!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank philsdottir
Reviewed July 29, 2010

We booked this hotel through a timeshare owner. Our group consisted of my wife, sister and mother and we all stayed together comfortabley in one of the 2 bedroom condos. There were 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms a large enough living room with a fold out bed (we didn’t use) and a great kitchen area with everything you need to prepare a meal. The central air conditioner did not work so the hotel had window air conditioner in place before we arrived. The hotel itself is a bit dated but not a problem unless you are a picky traveler. It’s a PERFECT location. Everything in downtown Newport is well within walking distance.

Unfortunately in rained the entire first day we were there but since the hotel had and outdoor and an indoor/outdoor pool we had a great time just relaxing watching the rain come down from the pool and indoor hot tub.

The second day we spent strolling historic Newport window shopping and people watching. When the temperature got too hot, we made our way over the Eatons (first) beach and cooled off. Eaton beach is a fabulous sandy beach with gentle rolling waves at one end of the cliff walk.

We had a wonderful time and would certainly stay at the Wyndam Long Warf Newport for a getaway weeded again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family