“BEWARE”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sayville, New York
“BEWARE”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

If you book this resort make sure to request a renovated room on the 4th floor, otherwise you will be walking into a time warp. Carpets were stained and furniture was old and dirty. Night shift told me they were "bookkeepers" and didn't know how to work computer to switch rooms. Literally slept in my car the first night until the morning shift came on and was able to put us in renovated room.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Randolph
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed for a long weekend in November 2012. Really enjoyed this resort. Great indoor pool, nightly movies, nice bed and kitchen and within walking distance to everything in Newport. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 22, 2012

3 bedroom - only one had a tv. Ripped and burned furniture, no place to put toiletries in bathroom. *not even a shelf* No dressers in bedrooms, just a closet piece of furniture. Staff uninterested in helping. one hairdryer for two baths. Limited parking due to staff using it to park. Accessible room had no grabbar by toilet. Front door wouldn't shut without a lot muscle. Phone and internet down for a day, indoor pool closed (Oct). No icemaker, 69 degrees no matter what you set it at. Great location, but I'd rather stay in a rickety old houseboat by the wharf than here again. Generally, I've had great luck with Wyndhams. This one should be sold to Motel 6.

Room Tip: Ask for the room next door at the Marriott if you want a good room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank L M

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed November 20, 2012

If you were fooled into buying a timeshare then, at least, don't get fooled into staying at the Wyndham Long Wharf. Everything is wrong with this place except for its location. Upon check-in we were put into a room on the third floor of the Tower suites. I have to tell you that when we opened the door to our room I almost threw up and started to cry. The room was super dated and extremely dirty. The carpets were severely stained, parts of the tiled floor were broken up, the television was from the 1970's, and the entire place smelled like dirt. I only felt comfortable standing with my hands in my pockets. My wife and I didn't want to touch anything in the room and we slept in our street clothes in the bed, which by the way was like sleeping on a bubble. Every time my wife got out of the bed I almost fell out. Believe me seeing this room after flying all day across the country made my family incensed with rage and anger. After the first night we spoke with the people at the front desk who were less than helpful. But after my wife contacted the manager (Kaline) by telephone we were moved to a much better room. This new room was still pretty bad yet was acceptable since anything would have been better than our original room. If you must stay at this hole, as my wife and I did because we were the guests of our parents who own the stupid RCI timeshare, then my only recommendation is that you call ahead in advance of your stay and ask to be put into an upgraded room. The fourth floor of the Tower suites is currently being renovated. Call multiple times and ask for the names of the people you spoke with. The only virtue to this "resort" is its location inside Newport. Bottom line, do not stay here. Don't bother reading the other reviews. Just run.

Room Tip: Call multiple times in advance of your stay and ask to be put into an upgraded room. Write down the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank VegasBuff
Scituate, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was a terrible stay for me. My room had previously been used by a smoker even though it's a non smoking hotel. The bedding was saturated. Not the sheets, but the actual bedding. I contacted guest services and they were fully booked and offered to use an ozone cleaner and swap out the bedding. I spoke with them at 9am and they assured me it would be taken care of and were quite accommodating. When I returned to my room at 3, no one had been there. I called guest services and they questioned me saying they had no record of my call. Frankly not my problem and I said please just swap out the bedding. I got a call back telling me house keeping is gone for the day and they would do it in the morning. I was leaving the next day!! I said I would not pay for another night and I wasn't being unreasonable with my request. They sent someone up to the room with a hefty bag of sheets for me to make my own bed. No new pillows or quilt as I asked for and I had to ask them to take the old stuff away.

Just found them not helpful and almost annoyed by me and my need for smoke free bedding. The location is nice and Newport is great, but you have other choices, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Melissa33170
nj
Reviewed October 24, 2012

It is dated and they are at present doing some cosmetic remodeling. I am saying cosmetic , because if you have to sleep in the 2nd room for more than one night you will go crazy! The AC/Heat unit is right next to it and it is so noisy that is almost impossible to sleep there unless you are very young or very old and deaf.
Despite the fact that the area is not busy at this time of the year, they do not make any effort to help you secure an additional parking spot. They send you to the pay parking or you ave to wake up at 9 am to feed a meter ( what a vacation), in the mean time there were other parking opportunities in the area given the time of the year.
Will I go thee again, will try not to, it was a timeshare exchange

Room Tip: there is no such a thing
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bacchus6
Wilmington, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The location on the wharf is fantastic, walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. The room was clean but extremely dated. It did have everything we needed. The staff was friendly and helpful. The indoor pool and spa was under construction during our stay which would have been nice to know when we booked. Because of the location and value I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012