“Nice restaurant but slow service”

The White Horse Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Horse Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 239 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Grill
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Farewell St
Transit: The White Horse Tavern is a quarter mile up Marlborough Street from the Newport Gateway and Visitors Center.
Description: At The White Horse Tavern we strive to create a fresh, contemporary culinary experience in a historic tavern atmosphere. Like generations before us, we serve the freshest fish, clams and lobsters from Narragansett Bay along with just-picked produce from local Rhode Island's farms. We embrace RI's vibrant food scene to bring you the very best artisan cheeses, honeys, prime cuts of beef and local fish right off the boat - all in a Colonial tavern that's been serving America for over 350 years. So join us for a taste of 21st century Rhode Island in our 17th century White Horse. You won't be disappointed!
Calabash, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice restaurant but slow service”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Went on a Monday evening, didn't make a reservation but they did have a table. Will say they were busy for a Monday. Server kept losing track of us even though we were seated right by entrance to the room, I know he was busy, but really should have done better. Kept walking on by and took forever to get our order (although did make sure to pour the $75 wine bottle and ask if we wanted another). The food was really excellent, nice choices on their menu, if they had only met expectations for service...

• Visited June 2014
Alyssa H, General Manager at The White Horse Tavern, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Please accept my sincerest apologies for your experience with our service. This is definitely not of our standard. I can assure you that this has been addressed and corrected.

I hope that you will give us another chance to offer you a better experience next time you are out to dine.

Regards,
Alyssa

Charlotte, North Carolina
“A Place of History”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Finding out that I was a descendant of Governor William Coddington, the first governor of Rhode Island, made me want to try this restaurant. He had owned the land that this oldest tavern in the United States was built on in 1673 and owned a home right behind it. He is buried in a cemetery right down the street from this restaurant on Farewell Street. When my husband and I tried this restaurant, we loved the whole experience. We even bought the wine glasses we saw. The service was excellent and the food was very good. My husband loved the lobster bisque. I really enjoyed the grilled gourmet cheese sandwich. Prices aren't cheap but you are paying to enjoy some unique history and colonial charm while dining in this historic district in Newport. Landscaping was very nice as well. Parking is in rear of restaurant.

Fort Benning, Georgia
“The Best Lobster Bisque Soup, Ever.”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We are new to the area....we were so excited to visit such a historic place...we arrived early and had a drink in the bar...I could almost picture Ben Franklin sitting next to us, enjoying a cold one. Pretty cool...
The parking was easy..the place was clean and comfortable....
The Food...Yum.
First of all, I will go back JUST for the lobster bisque soup. I can't stop thinking about it. It was like a dream in a bowl. So. Good.
I had the lobster mac and cheese...also very, very yummy...a little on the "heavy" side, but whatever. I'll work that off tomorrow.

If you have a chance to visit the "Oldest Tavern in the USA," I highly suggest you do so!

• Visited June 2014
Glad to have you in. Welcome to the neighborhood!

We look forward to having you in again!

Best,
Alyssa
West Hempstead, New York
“Wanted to kiss the Chef!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Excellent, Excellent!! The atmosphere was great. I almost felt like I was back in time. Service was top notch and food was unbelievable. My husband ordered a lobster dish that was to die for. I had a 45 day aged Rib Eye that was cooked to perfection. Excellent wine and dessert too! A little pricey, but honestly not for this meal. I would rather pay a few bucks more for an exceptional meal. Location was ok. They had their own parking lot, which for us was fine, however I can see in prime season, would fill up fast. If the Chef wasn't so busy, I would have kissed him.

• Visited April 2014
Budd Lake, New Jersey
“Classic Yum!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

It was our second visit to White Horse and it was just as impressive as the first! A classic New England style tavern with candlelights and a functional fireplace. Staff is friendly and attentive but not overbearing. Wine list was lovely and I will dream about there lobster Mac and cheese until I return! Yum!!

Been to The White Horse Tavern? Share your experiences!