“found it friday night”

Newport Blues Cafe
Ranked #151 of 232 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Long Island New York
“found it friday night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We heard 80's music and walked in. $5.00 cover charge no biggie and a great and fun 80's cover band. We found our way to the upstairs bar and had 2 HUGE glasses of Tequila. A really fun night !

Visited August 2012
2 Thank gothamshirts

Bristol, England
“Excellent food and value, if a bit cold!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We went on a Thursday night in August 2012, and they had a 2 meals for $19 special. We had salmon with sweet potato fries, and fish and chips. Both were cooked very well, not over or underdone, with tasty accompaniments. They also threw in a good bottle of wine for only $8 more, and the waitress was very friendly and helpful. So if you're looking for good-size, good quality food come here, as other places in Newport charged twice as much. Only slight downside was how dark it was in there, although I suppose it was a blues cafe, so it had a good atmosphere. We didn't stay for the music but it looked well set up. The AC was on full, which made us feel a little bit too cold. But otherwise great!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank 2TravellersBristol
Farmington, Connecticut
“Great entertainment venue.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

We went to see the Journey coverband, Separate Ways. This is a great venue to see a show. Only a $5 pp cover charge and beers were reasonably priced. Plenty of room for dancing if you would like. Acoustics were great and they have a variety of entertainers on their calendar. We loved the location...right in the middle of all the action. We didn't eat there so we can't comment on the food.

2 Thank ART9099
Courtney S, Manager at Newport Blues Cafe, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you so much for stopping by! We're so glad you had a great time!
Pennsylvania
“Good time but very cold”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Ate with family for dinner. The staff were friendly and the service was good. The food was good but the air conditioning was ruining my visit. It was very cold in the restaurant and the air was blowing down on me my whole meal. We let the staff know but it remained freezing. Despite the cold, the food was good but bring a jacket

Visited May 2012
1 Thank nurserehab
I'm so sorry for your experience. With the Blues Cafe being such a big space to cool down, we had been turning the AC on early to ensure that it is cool enough for everyone once the busy dinner hour hits and the bands go on. As you can imagine on a busy Saturday night with 300+ people it can get extremely hot! To remedy this we have started turning the air on a little later and leaving the doors and windows open. Thanks for coming and I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner.
Saratoga Springs, NY
“Service Lacked Class”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

At first, my girlfriend and I were having a great time. However, at approx. 11pm, the security/floor manager, Mr. Andrew A (last name withheld for privacy) made the decision to close the upstairs bar only. Unfortunately, the staff didn't know his plan, so they took my credit card for a tab. I subsequently when downstairs with my girlfriend to dance to the live band. At 1130p I noticed he was blocking access to the upstairs.

When I tried to proceed upstairs with my girlfriend to get a last drink and retrieve my credit card Andrew treated me and my girlfriend very unprofessionally - saying only my girlfriend could proceed upstairs to get the card (it was my card, so legally, this makes no sense). Then he let me get the card, but made my girlfriend stay downstairs (at an unfamiliar bar, unescorted).

My girlfriend and I should have been handled with understanding and class. It would have made the evening more enjoyable. We still had a good time; however, Andrew didn't contribute to that.

I emailed the staff to give this feedback to them directly, however, have not addressed this issue so I am writing this review. When I vacation in Newport a few times a year I make my decision on what places to go based on how they make me feel. The people that I come in contact with are the most important element of that decision.

• Visited May 2012